Echte Liebe ~ A German Love Affair

fuelledbypassion

Complete Legend
Reaction score
Echte Liebe : "True Love"
______

The nineties had been a golden era for German football, it's national team triumphant in both a World Cup, and European Championship. Bayern, the country's sweetheart, had joined Schalke in adding the Uefa Cup, while loosening thier stranglehold of the nation's domestic title.

Yet, another club emerged from the giant Munich shadow, a side ready to dominate club football once again. A Uefa Cup final loss to 'The Old Lady' would be rectified years later in Europe's premier Cup; a Scot would mark the great Zidane out of that game, and a young hero would emerge with a special goal on the World stage. Two Bundesliga titles and an Intercontinental Cup would complete the trophy haul; Borussia Dortmund, a once dormant force reawakened; Echte Liebe, the nation's true love.

_______

______

Borussia Dortmund manager and fan favourite, Michael Zorc, has vowed to strengthen the side following the summer departures of Stephane Chapuisat and Thomas Hassler, with German wonderkid Sebastian Deisler thought to be high on his wish list. The black and yellows will be hoping to improve on a poor fourth placed finish last term, with attacking players considered a priority as Zorc looks to bolster his much depleted and underperforming squad. The club has been recently linked to a number of overseas starlets, including Frenchman David Trezeguet and Argentine Hernan Crespo.

______

______

Borussia Dortmund and German star, Matthias Sammer, has been struck a bitter blow as he looks set for a lengthy lay-off with injury. The former Ballon d'Or winner and club talisman collapsed awkwardly in a training ground collision, amid fears of cruciate ligament damage. The set back could take months to recover, with some experts predicting a possible two year break that would see him miss the European Championships next year. Manager Michael Zorc has refused to comment on speculation that this could be the end of the player's career, and insists that no plans have yet been made to replace their star man.

______

______

Borussia Dortmund's pursuit of Monaco ace, David Trezeguet, seems to have ended after it emerged that the French club have agreed an £11m fee with Spanish giants Atletico Madrid. The German club have refused to be drawn into discussions, with some quarters of the media suggesting that Michael Zorc's search for a star striker would be put on hold following an injury to Matthias Sammer. The club continue to be linked with Hernan Crespo, with Zorc spotted at Parma's friendly win over Celtic earlier this week.

______

Interesting start so far. I assume that things will push forward eventually?

Interesting start so far. I assume that things will push forward eventually?

I'm going for short news article type updates with this as I want to update as frequently as my game progresses for a change :)

It's being played on my 'true love', championship manager 99 - for any who are interested or would like to recommend any players...

Last edited:
______

German giants Borussia Dortmund have finally made their move in the transfer market, today completing the signature of two German Internationals. Stuttgart favourite Fredi Bobic joins as a direct replacement for Chapuisat, while Christian Worns has made the move from Paris Saint Germain. The centre back will likely partner Jurgen Kohler at the heart of the defence in Sammer's prolonged absence. With a hefty transfer budget thought to be in the region of £20m remaining, more names are expected to follow before the season kicks off.

View attachment 326272
View attachment 326273

______

Last edited:
______

German champions Bayern Munich have completed a double swoop for Roma's Paulo Sergio and Paraguayan Roque Santa Cruz. With the addition of both youth and experience, the German outfit clearly aren't resting on their laurels as they attempt to retain the title next year. Rivals Dortmund are thought to be considering a bid for Mario Jardel now that Munich's interest has cooled, although Hernan Crespo is still very much on their radar. Bayern have drawn Kaiserslautern in a tough League Cup quarter final, while Dortmund have the easier visit of Hertha Berlin to kick off their domestic campaign.
______

I'm going for short news article type updates with this as I want to update as frequently as my game progresses for a change :)

It's being played on my 'true love', championship manager 99 - for any who are interested or would like to recommend any players...

Kim Kallstrom
Javi Saviola
Juninho (Boro one)

Echte Liebe :
"T
rue Love"
______

09-07-99 - German League Cup Quarter Final

Dortmund 1 - 1 Hertha BSC
Ali Daei 46'
Fredi Bobic 77'

*Dortmund win 3-0 on penalties*

Mom: Karsten Baumann - 7/10 (Dortmund)

In a game where Dortmund controlled possession without really testing the Hertha defence, the Borussian side were relieved to eventually sneak through via a penalty shoot-out. A wonderful Ali Daei effort was the only real highlight, while Bobic equalised with a debut goal for his new club. Bobic emerged the hero with the winning penalty after teammates Muller and Ricken had also converted. Dortmund meet Kaiserslautern in the semi final after a surprise 2-0 victory over favourites Bayern Munich.

_______

Last edited:
______

13-07-99 - German League Cup Semi Final

Kaiserslautern 1 - 1 Dortmund
Fredi Bobic 52'
Olaf Marschall 77'

*Dortmund win 4-1 on penalties*

Mom: Fredi Bobic - 9/10 (Dortmund)

In an even contest, the visitors struck first as Fredi Bobic continued his fine scoring start with another today. A fortunate Marschall goal saw the game go to penalties, with Moller, Reuter, Ricken and But securing the victory for the away side. Dortmund will play Bayer Leverkusen in the final.

_______

______

16-07-99 - German League Cup Final

Dortmund 1 - 1 Leverkusen
Ulf Kirsten 9'
Giuseppe Reina 73'

*Leverkusen win 5-4 on penalties*

Mom: Oliver Neuville- 8/10 (Leverkusen)

Dortmund hearts were broken in a dramatic penalty shoot-out, their third in three games, as Leverkusen lifted the trophy at the Olympia-Stadion. Kirsten gave Leverkusen an early lead in a game that they dominated, but a close range Reina header forced penalties as neither team could find a winner. With Bobic and Ricken struggling for fitness, Dortmund were forced to field a weakened team. Although both came off the bench to net from the spot, new signing Christian Worns' miss consigned Dortmund to defeat as Frankie Hejduk beat Jens Lehmann from twelve yards to send Leverkusen into raptures.

_______

______

League Cup finalists, Borussia Dortmund, have today announced the signature of Nigerian forward Victor Ikpeba from french club Monaco. The striker, who bagged eleven goals in thirty two appearances last term, has signed a three year contract and is said to be excited by the prospect of Champions League football. The German side have been drawn against Belgium's Racing Genk in the final qualifying round for the competition, with the first leg at the Belgian side. Dortmund manager Michael Zorc is still keen to add to his squad, having been recently spotted at Brazil's Copa America showdown with Argentina.

View attachment 326777

______