James1517

Reaction score
Need help making a tactic based on Bournemouth's success, Eddie Howe's done a truly fantastic job there and has them playing as a unit and have been dominating their games so far in the prem, playing some great football.

So how they setup, a simple 4-4-2, very attacking full backs (Francis and Daniels), one CM (Surman) drops deep into the 2 centre halts at goal kicks. Other CM (Arter/O'Kane) sort of box to box. Wingers (Ritchie and Gradel) cut inside and either switch the play, go for a shot or give it to the overlapping full back or even thread through the strikers. One striker drops deep to hold up the ball/bring others into play however sometimes makes the run in behind the defence (King/Kermorgrant) and the other (wilson) always looking to get in behind to either shoot or create. They play short passing, constantly at a high tempo, always trying to overload the wings/flanks. Out of possession, everyone presses the ball at a very high intensity, strikers constantly pressing defenders, however when the ball goes into midfield the strikers drop deeper to stop the ball bypassing the CM's, and the wingers tuck in to make the bank of 4 in midfield narrower.

The question is, how do i translate this into FM? Tried so many times but just doesn't seem to play how i want it to. Even though Bournemouth play 4-4-2, they never seem to get overrun in the midfield because they're so narrow out of possession and everyone is man to man pressing, everyone gets back quickly. However out of possession they're so attacking and overloading the wide areas all the time.

So i need to know people's thoughts on what the team instructions would be, the player roles, player instructions and even the opposition instructions.

I'm thinking of this:
Very fluid
Control
G/D
CWB/A-CD/D-CD/D-CWB/A
WM/S-DLP/D-CM/Auto-WM/S
AF/A-DF/D

TI:
Retain possession
shorter passing
work ball into box
play out of defence
run at defence
exploit the flanks
look for overlap
play narrower
close down much more
use tighter marking
prevent short GK distribution
much higher tempo
be more expressive

OI:
Always closing down on everyone apart from AMC/AMCR/AMCL and STC/STCR/STCL
Always tight marking on everyone apart from AMC/AMCR/AMCL
Never tight marking on STC/STCR/STCL and AMR/AML and MR/ML and WBR/WBL

Any help on this would be great, bournemouth play such nice football with such a good game plan that seems to be so hard for teams to defend against.

Possibly wide playmakers might work better actually, would give more space for CWBs to get forward as well

I have been using something similar and infact very much based on it below.

Against sides that look to get a DM on the ball get the right centre forward to man mark him before games.

You will score a bag of goals, you will also concede. Although that really is the whole point of it really. When games are done and dusted just use a bit of common sense in the last 15 - (Defensive strategy, retain possession, waste time, take a breather, get the GK to slow down play and perhaps lose a CF for a DM)

Let me know how it gets on, if it gets good feedback I will try and share it out more.

Sorry, uploaded the wrong one. Edited is below the correct tactic.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09856962354887596737

Last edited:

Against sides that look to get a DM on the ball get the right centre forward to man mark him before games.

You will score a bag of goals, you will also concede. Although that really is the whole point of it really. When games are done and dusted just use a bit of common sense in the last 15 - (Defensive strategy, retain possession, waste time, take a breather, get the GK to slow down play and perhaps lose a CF for a DM)

Let me know how it gets on, if it gets good feedback I will try and share it out more.

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

Thank you so much mate, will defo give this a try, whats your results been like?

Tried it haven't had a lot of success to be honest mate, I've tried tweaking it so much but there just doesn't seem to be a way to replicate the real life tactic on the game. In possession they just don't seem to overload the flanks even if i pick play wider and exploit the flanks, CMs just don't seem to want to spread the ball to the flanks, FBs don't seem to want to always overlap. In terms of out of possession the strikers Wilson and King press the ball and sometimes drop deeper to stop the ball being easily played through the middle, but they just don't seem to do this on the game, even with opposition instructions.

What would you recommend for OI?