Reaction score
View attachment 220430
Carles Puyol: a new chapter

View attachment 220429

Six Spanish league titles, two Copa Del Rey, six Supercopa de España, two UEFA Super Cups, two FIFA Club World Cups, three Champions Leagues, one UEFA Euro Championship and finally one FIFA World Cup. Add six appearances in the UEFA Team of the Year, three appearances in the FIFPro World XI, one appearance in the UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament and finally the 2010 FIFA World Cup Dream Team and you've got El Capità himself, one of the biggest legends in Spanish football. The man who appeared a total of 392 times for his club FC Barcelona and 100 times for the Spanish national team retired last year in 2014, putting an end to one of the most successful careers in the history of football and putting the whole of Spain in tears. Last year he said that he joined Barcelona as a little boy and left with an entire family behind him.

Today, a month after he retired as a Director of Football in Barcelona following Zubizarreta's sack, Puyol is becoming a manager. The man who won a total of 21 titles in 19 years at Barcelona, 14 of which as a captain, steps into management in the hopes of winning even more titles. The 37 year old Catalan defender announced that he would not manage any team in La Liga apart from FC Barcelona out of respect for the club he loves so much and that's understandable. As of right now in February 2015, there are many clubs who could be looking to bring in the Spanish legend that is Puyol as a number of clubs are in crisis. The question now remains where he will end up.

In an interview with UEFA's official website, former teammate and Spanish legend Xavi Hernandez had his say about Puyol's decision to become a manager and let's just say that he was very pleasantly surprised:

View attachment 220432
"Carles is an amazing person and was an even better captain. I was so glad to hear that he is stepping into management because he really deserves it and he deserves all the glory that comes with being a great manager, which I'm 100% sure he will be. It will be great seeing him next to a football pitch again and I'm sure that he's very excited. I haven't spoken to him about all of this yet but I know that he's very aware of the many responsibilities and challenges that come with being a manager. If I'll ever become a manager? Hahaha I don't know yet I'm not sure this is something I'd like to do in the future but who knows? For now I'm really glad that Carles has decided to take this path and I'm excited to see how he gets on. Yes I think it's great that he's willing to not manage any other Spanish team than Barcelona, it shows loyalty to the club. You need a lot of courage to just already say that you'll be refusing any offers coming from Spanish clubs as a debutant manager so it's very brave of him to already make that kind of sacrifice and it should give everyone a sense of how he will be as a manager."

Former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola also said he did not expect such an early return to football for Carles Puyol:

View attachment 220431

"The fact that he's returning to football so early after his retirement (one year after) is very impressive and shows a lot of determination to succeed in the football world. Carles always talked about his love of the game and I remember once he went to the doctor who told him that he had a dislocated elbow, which should have kept him away from a football field for a long time, but instead Carles said: Wait, you mean I can't play on Sunday? I'm excited for him and I can't wait to see how he gets on. What I can tell for sure is that a lot of clubs would really benefit from him, his love of the game and just the way he's able to read it in general. Great players always make the best managers because they know exactly how to play, they know what to do in any situation, especially defenders."

View attachment 220428
Dear Mr. Puyol,

We are very proud to announce that you have been considered as our new manager and would like to offer you a contract at the club. We understand that this would be your very first job as a professional manager and are willing to adjust certain expectations in order to make you feel as comfortable as possible. It would be an absolute honour to have you join us here in Manchester and bring success to the club, something which our old manager Manuel Pellegrini was unable to do which is why he was sacked.

If you were to agree to start talks with us, here is the contract we'd like to offer you:

- Contract length: 3 years (until June 2018)
- Offered wage: 68 000 £
per week (36 500 £after tax)
- Barclays Premier League expectation: Challenge for the title
- Champions League expectation: Reach the quarter finals
- F.A. Cup expectation: Knocked out
- Capital One Cup expectation: Knocked out
- Bonus: 325 000 £
for winning the Champions League

Take your time while considering this offer and please get back to us should you choose to start your managerial career here at Manchester City F.C.

Sincerely,

Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Owner of Manchester City F.C.)

View attachment 220427

Last edited:
Phone call with my idol, Paolo Maldini

View attachment 220426
"Paolo? It's me Carles. I just got a job offer for my first managerial position at a club but I'm really hesitant to accept it, I'm not sure it's the right club for me."

"Carles, if there's any club you should be managing one day it's FC Barcelona. The club will never offer you a job as a manager unless you prove yourself first so whatever offer it is, you should take it and do your best there to be successful until one day you're good enough to take over in Catalonia."

"It's Manchester City and they've got high expectations, I'm really not sure if this is right for me but at the same time I would really give anything to become successful and manage my club FC Barcelona one day."

"Manchester City have got an incredible squad you know, and why not start something new? You decided to become a manager after all, it wasn't just to be able to stay in Spain and hope that one day the Blaugranas approach you was it? You need to experience football in another country. The Premier League is incredibly competitive and without a doubt if you manage to do well there, you'll catch the eye of the Barcelona president. Go for it Carles, you're a leader of men, you know how to read the game. Follow your dreams, I know you'll do well there."

"Thank you so much, you know you've been my idol ever since I was younger and here you are still inspiring me through my life decisions. I'll be sure to give you a call once I'm in Manchester and I've settled down and talked with the squad then."

View attachment 220425
View attachment 220424
Manchester City appoint Carles Puyol as manager

The Sky Blues announced their new manager through their official twitter account. Puyol's contract is reported to be until June 2018.

View attachment 220422
Manchester City have shown their ambition for the future by appointing ex-Barcelona defender Carles Puyol as their manager as they look to win the Premier League title for the second season in a row. Currently sitting in 3rd just a point behind rivals Chelsea and level on points with Everton who are placed 2nd, Manchester City will be hoping that Puyol's experience as a player will carry through as a manager in what should be a very interesting spell for the Spaniard. Indeed, when announcing that he was becoming a manager, Puyol also said that he would not sign for any Spanish club other than Barcelona out of respect however Manchester City could find themselves playing against Barcelona if they qualify for the quarter finals of the Champions League which will be difficult in itself after Pellegrini left Puyol with a 3-1 defeat against PSG in the 1st knockout round first leg to make up for.

The next 3 games for Manchester City are against Arsenal away, Paris Saint-Germain at home and Manchester United at home in what could be a decisive series of games for the Manchester based club. It'll be interesting to see how Puyol gets on here in England for his very first managerial role.

View attachment 220423

Puyol is actually quite a sensible choice for a retired player made manager story (I have a save with him as the manager of the Catalan national squad), how have you dealt with the real one though (since he exists in the database)? Have you erased him from the database? Or sent him to a really obscure destination to avoid as much as possible to find him in the save?

Anyway... Wow, that's definitely going from 0 to 100 just from the get-go and more considering his only non-playing experience so far is a failed spell as scout in Barcelona.
Good luck with the challenge, it won't be easy since Citizens are really exigent when it comes to results and titles.

Puyol is actually quite a sensible choice for a retired player made manager story (I have a save with him as the manager of the Catalan national squad), how have you dealt with the real one though (since he exists in the database)? Have you erased him from the database? Or sent him to a really obscure destination to avoid as much as possible to find him in the save?

Anyway... Wow, that's definitely going from 0 to 100 just from the get-go and more considering his only non-playing experience so far is a failed spell as scout in Barcelona.
Good luck with the challenge, it won't be easy since Citizens are really exigent when it comes to results and titles.

yes i pretty much sent him somewhere i know he won't interfere with the save. well actually puyol was barcelonas director of footballs assistant for a bit but the latter got sacked and puyol decided to resign but i figured it would be a nice save to do to basically do a road to managing barcelona with him as he's really known for loving football that much.
will definitely be an interesting save especially with man city but i think I'll be able to do well :) it'll be a challenge but since when is puyol not up for one ;)