Elated Murray breaks into top 50

I could understand all these arguments about Murray being British or not if Tennis was actually a good sport. Be honest everyone how many of you actually care about tennis unless Wimbledon is on and you are forced to watch it because it takes over the TV.

I enjoy watching tennis all year round.

and using mIRC commands on the forum looks mint.

:rolleyes:

Redders said:
Ignore Gregor he's a ****.

Well he is great for British sport....screw Scotland.

You're fired, who wants to be chairman of my fan club now?

Last edited:
I didnt call him English!! I just meant what Andy said above and thats hes better than the English players around at the moment not he IS English!! :mad: :|

Worst thread ever.

STAY ON TOPIC

Wikipedia Definition : Andrew Murray, known as Andy (born 15 May 1987), is a Scottish tennis player born in Dunblane, Stirling

------------

Teenager Andy Murray is poised to be confirmed as the new British number one after beating South Africa's Rik de Voest in Memphis.

The result, coupled with Tim Henman's defeat in Rotterdam, will move Murray ahead of Henman and Greg Rusedski when the rankings are published on Monday.

Murray was made to work hard for his three-set victory over the lucky loser.

The 18-year-old swept to a dominant early lead, but was pegged back before finally prevailing 7-6 (7-4) 3-6 7-5.

De Voest only made the main draw when Nicolas Kiefer withdrew but took advantage by beating Jonas Bjorkman.

Murray looked to be in a different class as he raced to a 4-0 lead but he found De Voest hard to shake off.

He needed a tie-break in the first set and dropped the second before beating the world number 149 to reach the last eight, his seventh straight win.

As the rankings stand on Friday, Murray is 47th, Rusedski 43rd and Henman 40th, but results this week - Rusedski lost in the second round in Rotterdam - will see that change on Monday.

Henman has been Britain's number one since 1999, but Murray's form over the last 12 months has finally ended his reign.

Magic Murray claims maiden title

Murray, who won his maiden ATP Tour title in San Jose last week, said he was reaping the rewards of his hard work to develop his fitness.

His impressive performance at Wimbledon last year was undermined by fitness problems, especially against David Nalbandian, but there was no sign of a repeat in Memphis.

"I feel much fitter and stronger now," said Murray.

"There was a lot of questions about my fitness last year. I got tired in my match at Wimbledon.

"I thought I was the fresher of the two at the end of the match (against De Voest). I feel quite good having come through five matches at San Jose and won in three sets on Thursday."

Murray will play Robin Soderling in the quarter-finals - the man he beat at the same stage in San Jose last week.

"I suppose in some ways it's a good thing because you know what their weaknesses are and you kind of know what to expect," said Murray.

"You have to change things because if you do exactly the same as you did in the last match it's going to be a bit predictable.

"So you need to have a few surprise tactics and I'll talk to my coach about that and I'm sure I'll be able to do it."

Yas we all knew it would happen. Hope he keeps improving and goes on to be one of the best.

Wooo nice one for him. Henman sucks ***

Gregor said:
Wikipedia Definition : Andrew Murray, known as Andy (born 15 May 1987), is a Scottish tennis player born in Dunblane, Stirling

Okay but the fact is that in Tennis he represents Great Britain so end of discussion on the whole Scottish/British thing as nobody even watched tennis.

But well done for him becoming the Brit #1.

aww I missed it :( When i turned on it was the guy that beat Muzza at Wimbledon

Can't believe he did it, well done to him. Wouldn't of happened on grass though. Should easily break into top 15 i'd say.

Nice one Murray for pwning tiger tame...i mean tim.

And beating Federer is just awesome,ended a run of like 55 wins or something stupid like that, only Nadal had beaten him this year...well done Murray!

hes done well murray, een tho fed wastn playing good, fed beats almost everyone when he has an off day!

i wonder how long it will be before the media start calling him the next great #
*english* hope, and how long for murray to forget his scottish rooots..

channel 5 news said last week Murray appointing a coach is a great boost to English tennis, he corrected himself eventually though and said British