Mikeos

Reaction score

009__001__club_crests__Elgin__1276179379_standard.jpg

Journeying to the Stars

21/06/2015

3a29e5154c8150fc751b48bbd2e496af.png

After less than a year at Borough Briggs, Elgin City have mutually departed with manager Jim Weir.
The 46-year old Scotsman had been appointed before Christmas to keep Elgin City up and avoid relegation from Ladbrokes League Two. He lead them to a seventh placed league finish with 45 points. Therefore, it has come to a surprise of many that they have departed with Weir. The managing director Andrew McKenzie on the club webpage wrote the following statement.

"Although we're sad to be seeing Jim leave our club, we support him in his future endeavors and would like to give our support in the tough times he's currently facing. The players thoroughly enjoyed working with him and we, the board had great talks on football philosophy. We'll miss him and would love to wish him back in the future. It's disrespectful to discuss the nature of his leave of absence and his future replacement this soon. We'll be announcing the future intentions of the club in the following days."

9e33a664ebf7b120f5d7ca50c20cae42.png

Despite his short spell, the fans had come to enjoy his style of football and will be disappointed about his departure. It's rumored from club officials that he has left due to personal reasons. Jim Weir has released a statement about his departure.

"I'd like to say my thanks to the board for there support in my short stint at the club. In every department they've assisted my demands albeit how difficult they were to carry out. It's sad for me to be leaving this club but while I believe in the future of Elgin City, I don't trust myself to be the one to carry you forward. When arriving here, I was welcomed by these fantastic fans and the passion I felt from the players and the stands every game day were a joy to be part of. I'd like to wish good luck to whoever takes the hot seat from me and to treat this club with care. Thank you."

0c111bf5f69fec1e796dc5fe67d36a44.png

Any manager appointed at the Black and Whites will have there work cut out for them. Not having won a trophy for twenty-two years and no sign of promotion from Ladbrokes League Two, the fans will just be expecting a competitive battle against relegation this season and hopefully a decent run in one of the cups. Whoever it is, at least they have a full pre-season to get adjusted to the club in preparation for there first game of the season against Arbroath. It's too early to say who the front runners are for the job but it's expected to be announced in the next few weeks.

Journeying to the Stars

01/07/2015

32ee4b682fae72ad3821c24a60579d92.png

The Black and Whites have finally unveiled there new man after the departure of Jim Weir. A relative unknown and rumored to be a Celtic and Liverpool supporter, Robert Carlisle, 36, is an inexperienced coach and hasn't managed at this level. In the early mornings of today, it's reported he has signed a one-year deal on £500 a week. He and his family have lived in Elgin for the past ten years. He's known to be ecstatic and excited at this opportunity to get his coaching career on the road and surprised that it's come this early in his life.

55611f60d9d104897744e512d3d85c0e.png

He's played for rivals Lossiemouth on a part-time basis from 2009 to 2013 before retiring. His day to day job is a secondary school physical education teacher at Buckie High School where he's coached the kids football team for the past three years, one of the reasons why he hung up the boots early. After success by winning two league titles in two years in the secondary school leagues, the Elgin board see something in the man to give him this big opportunity.

a654ce80009a6998f87a82d0f1336228.png

His wife (also a schoolteacher), Sara, 29, and two kids Taylor, 7 and Siobhan, 3, will be prepared to be the center of attention around Elgin having already garnered a reputation among schoolkids parents for being a saint with their kids. Three of the kids he's managed at his school have gone onto moving into the Inverness and Rangers academies, replicating his own career of having been a Celtic youth before suffering a ligament injury which ended his professional career despite his 3 Scottish youth caps.

7646c20c9515230abfd9dfc05473c003.png

He's expected to be unveiled at Borough Briggs tomorrow for a press conference in front of the local media.

Journeying to the Stars
02/07/2015

Press Conference

e46cd2f971d5523c47bd2bd897350e90.png

Do you feel that your ambitions for the club are matched by the chairman? (The Elgin Football Latest)

I do, yes. Our discussions so far are often creative and there's been lots of good ideas floated about which promise good things for the future. The fans are lucky to have such a passionate chairman at the club because every decision I makes I see a real purpose of intent in for the future success of this club. I'm just delighted to be part of it and working with Graham (Tatters, Chairman) and Andrew (McKenzie, Managing Director) and all the rest of my backroom staff.

Do you feel the expectations asked of you this season have been fair and realistic? (The Elgin Football Latest)

If the club is to really progress towards the higher reaches of the game however unlikely that may sound, everybody from the ballboys to the fans to the players themselves, they have to be ambitious and aim high. That's what we're doing at the moment and that's what I want to instill at the club. A confident sort of swagger in the way we speak, in the way we play. I'll never shout at a player who is overconfident. I'd rather that than a nervous bumbling wreck. I only ask for the players to respect me. So forget battling relegation, I'd be angry if I don't win every single game in the season, I'll be angry if we get knocked out of the cups, I'll be angry if we don't win the league. I don't like to lose. It happens, I understand that but if we play with confidence and put all our effort, all our energy in, we'll be hard to beat which is the next best thing to winning.

What attracted you to Elgin City?
(The Elgin Football Latest)

It's just a walk down the road from me. Not much of a drive! No, no. I must say that Elgin City approached me completely out of the blue and won me over with the proposal. How could I say no? This is a massive opportunity. Massive. The foundations of a good club are here. A decent training ground, good young players which the will to succeed. Experienced heads who've been there, done that. Finances which don't risk the club's future. It was just an attractive proposition and I wouldn't of took the job if I didn't believe in my own abilities.

Having spent the majority of your career in the lower reaches of the game you must feel as if your experience at this kind of level can be advantage for Elgin city this season? (The Elgin Football Latest)

Not necessarily; management is a completely new challenge for me and I cant just presume that I'll succeed because of my playing career. Plus, I played in a lower league than this so to say my experience can be advantage in this league isn't accurate. At the school, I did two training sessions a week with school kids. I took them on the school bus at the weekends to play games. Played on a field with no stands. Some bits are similar, like the bus to games, but there'll be more training sessions. There'll be more focus on finances, there'll be a focus on transfers outgoing and incoming, relations with the board, dealing with the press. I haven't experienced any of this as a player. I'd say the only things are I've been in a stadium with stands as a player. Heck, I've been to stadiums as a fan. I've been in the changing rooms, I know the pre-game nerves. But so do the players. I'll do my best to calm those pre-match jitters among my players, as will the experienced heads. But most of it will be new to me.

While some managers are famous for their hands-on approach, others maintain a more reserved manner with their players. How do you see your management style? (The Elgin Football Latest)

"I tend to trust the players as adults to behave in such a manner. I trusted the young kids in my teams to focus on there studies and focus on exams before football. Obviously some will go out of line and you'll need to discipline them, but these players I have at my disposal are older, they're not school kids. They should know how to behave, they should spend the money they earn wisely. Not on a Bugatti Veyron, although I doubt they'd be able to afford that on our wages! They should sort out disputes right there and then. They should know when to shutup and listen to me. There's time for fun and games and a time to focus and get serious. It's simple. Treat people how you expect to be treated. "

How do you describe yourself? (The Elgin Football Latest)

Myself? That's an odd question. Ask my wife, she'll say I'm a passionate, caring, loving husband and father. Actually, scrap that. Don't ask her. She'll say nothing like that... I don't know how I'd describe myself, really. Ask the players in a few months. They can tell you then.

Taking your first step from high school football to league football, is it a great feeling?

It's a brilliant feeling.

Is that all?

Yes, what else did you expect me to say? It's a fantastic feeling, I'm excited and raring to go. Have you got that for your little notebook?

It is often said that different managers favour different competitions. Will you be concentrating primarily on getting good results in the Ladbrokes League Two? (The Elgin Football Latest)

"There's a lot more to concentrate on than just the Ladbrokes League 2. There's three cup competitions. The Challenge Cup, The League Cup, The FA Cup. Four competitions. Don't fans love cup runs? I remember watching The FA Cup down south when teams in the lower leagues go on cup runs and defy logic and head to all the big stadiums. Why can't we do that? I'd love too, the fans would love too, the players. We're aiming for good results in every single game we play."

What are your aims? (The Elgin Football Latest)

My aims are simple. Fight until the final whistle every game. For a player in the black and white shirt to put one hundred percent effort into that ninety plus minutes. Run until you can't run no more, kick the ball until your leg falls off. That sounds like a good aim. Show the fans that we're doing everything we can for them. They're the ones who pay to come see us so we better give a good **** show. That's the aim. Put on a show. Do that? I'm happy.

What style of football can we expect?

I need to look at the players at my disposal. I don't want to force them into something they're not happy to do. We'll meet up, discuss what there preferred styles are and compare notes. I don't want to say we'll play possession football then end up having 40% possession for the first ten games. I don't want to say we'll be defensively solid when we concede hundreds of goals in the first twenty games. I don't want to say we'll be an attacking outfit when we only score five goals in thirty games. Do not expect a style. Do expect us to put one hundred percent effort into every single game we play.

On the off-chance that any agents read your comments today, is there a particular area of the squad which you are looking to strengthen in the near future? (The Elgin Football Latest)

I'm not prepared to talk about the transfer policy right now. I've not had enough time to watch my squad in training and to see where we need to improve. I've seen enough so far to say I'm happy with my squad from the outside but that may change. It's disrespectful to come in and demand change straight away to the playing staff. We'll take our time in the coming weeks then decide.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Journeying to the Stars

Pre-Season

687ba5d520fa2e72b10e7082184607ec.png

Squad:

Goalkeepers:

d1142d455a04c5e12dbb3ce56b1227d8.png

This is probably the weakest part of the Black and White's Squad. Due to finances, a first team goalkeeper may have to be found through a loan or a free transfer. During pre-season, GK hasn't proved a problematic area therefore it's not an immediate issue of concern.

Defenders:

dd2da1b6bcb2496a3d38b0e040af498b.png

This had shown to be one of the weakest and less squad depth areas of the squad. Therefore the manager has looked to strengthen in this area during the transfer window. Albeit, we have come up against strong sides in our friendlies such as Ipswich and Grasshoppers, the only goal in our weakest friendly coming from a defensive error (back-pass to keeper latched onto.) The two squad players Carlisle signed are Richie Petrie and James Creaney.

Midfielders:

cd032145f5cfa12a2c07f439517f4885.png

Probably one of the strongest areas of the squad with good, young players. Also lacking squad depth Carlisle signed Jamie Doris and Lee Gallacher, although other targets opted to sign for other clubs. The versatile players who can play all across the central midfield will be an important part of the team and be hoping to control games.

Attackers:

244ddd30e1093edaf38ba1a15a946aa3.png

Another strong area of the squad the strikers at the club all vary in ability and playing style. From a target man to a defensive forward, these strikers may prove useful depending on the opposition we come up against. Carlisle signed Paul McManus to keep competition for spots, plus signing another young striker who's in the Under 20s who may be ready for a first team spot when the two loanees contracts come to an end. The only downside during pre-season was an injury to one of our best players Thomas Reilly.

Pre-Season Friendlies

Elgin City 0-1 Grasshoppers
Ggorjev '30

4a3a466bf486eda0132aa23629f4f87e.png

Another game where we challenged little. We were lucky to only lose one nil where Grasshoppers challenged our defense time and time again. Before they scored we did have a clear cut chance but scuffed it by hitting it directly at the goalkeeper. After that, we had no luck and only had two shots in the whole game. We used this game as a marker to see where we needed to improve for future friendlies, tinkering with tactics and understanding what style would suit our players best.

Coldstream 1-3 Elgin City
Leslie '55, MacPhee '34, McLaren '57, Easton '67

1718fef5d205c4b9a2a0c5dd3cadbbea.png

An expected victory and disappointed to concede an avoidable goal from a defensive error. Unfortunately one of our central defenders passed back to the goalkeeper but didn't put enough on it, so there player latched onto it and scored. Apart from that, there was a change of tactic and more intent in the attacking sense and the midfield passed it around nicely. The highlight was a ribona cross which led to MacPhee's goal.

Elgin City 2-4 Ipswich Town
Halsman '5, Gallacher '14, Murphy '26, '36, McGoldrick '35, '81

fea3d04e742cab14cf67217dc7e39210.png

Quickly taking the lead and going up two nil in this game, we unfortunately collapsed soon after where the Ipswich Town attacking force tore our defense apart, especially the right hand side. Although this result is to be expected, I was disappointed how little we challenged Ipswich despite the first 15 minutes. We hopefully won't have this issue against the lower league opposition we'll be facing monthly. Further more tinkering will be required for the first cup game against Stenhousemuir at the end of the month.

Journeying to the Stars

Scottish League Challenge Cup
25/07/2015

bd058b156d0c0fd0405ea3b4684fec02.png

The upcoming Scottish League Challenge Cup game was a difficult one. Stenhousemuir from League One. Although they've been fighting relegation in league one for the past couple seasons, playing at there place would prove a difficult contest and competitive game for my players. This would be the first time I get an idea on my best squad and who's willing to put one hundred percent effort in. If I could win, I'd be delighted with a good cup run.

38a05a83446fd5356e6adf5dc6aa44e2.png

4229e708efb5fa16b9515df4ebcc1c14.png

Game Day

Stenhousemuir vs Elgin City

c3016d0f866e8c7ab16b20702649eb49.png
edd6a8a1e831163c31f6c116eab13a8e.png

Stenhousemuir 2-3 Elgin City
Murray '15, Smith '74, McLaren '24, '44, Gordon '59

8fc3503000c434d4432bf5d7e05d48e1.png

Liam Gordon at the back was immense this game and Hurst although not having to make world class saves kept us in the game by doing saves you'd expect him to make. Stenhousemuir did trouble our defense but Gordon made crucial interceptions all game while upfront we took our chances well with two great well worked free kicks and a decent cross. We did well to come back when we went down one nil early on and showed great character to race into a 3-1 lead before holding on to dear life when they bombarded our box aerially. Conor McLaren man of the match with his two goals and general hold up play. The cup run continues.

17118010c059152f3f13f84e2b76c568.png

Challenge Cup Draw

4cbc7dc17357f8de9b94068388787da1.png

Cowdenbeath v Arbroath

Elgin City v Falkirk

Edinburgh City v Airdrie
Raith v Brora
Stranraer v Hibernian
Brechin v East Fife
Morton v Rangers
Annan v St. Mirren

It looks like it'll be another tough game for the next leg against Falkirk on 19th of August. A championship squad looking to get promoted to the higher echelons of football. Luckily we're at home and can show our fight and passion to do well in this cup at home to our fans.

Journeying to the Stars

Scottish League Cup
01/08/2015

a45510ccab3c6ad522227ba19c145a3a.png

A tough start to the League Cup campaign away to Scottish Championship team Rangers. We'd need to seriously pull off a brilliant performance if we're wishing to get far in this competition. I'm always quietly confident of the team's chances but this may prove too difficult. Due to the brilliant performance away to Stenhousemuir, I decided too keep a similar tactic to the one in the first game.

05d2b3f6673ffdf26b030398d237bb40.png

0755a9d9ba53e9d9a2e0221fd9a8af87.png

Game Day

Rangers vs Elgin City

c3f170c2e16e3d60729ca9a33791dacc.png
7124c13ae44c186296f14281c4cc84a2.png

Rangers 3-0 Elgin City
Halliday ('9, '29), Waghorn ('52)

30935a8a5bcd75559abac53bef58a16d.png

A horrible performance where we were destroyed on the wings which is no surprise against there quality. We barely created anything and couldn't keep hold of the ball, we can only say that Rangers are a great side and should be expected to get promoted at the end of the season back to the premiership where they belong. We're lucky it's only 3-0 because it could of been a cricket scoreline.

61e03f8b5402925effc16098a22522b4.png

957aeac052d0837d7b01ca7d6d955bca.png

b1b7a3f9a0fa8895095840c5427a69fd.png

a4e80b15b173269121423f958a5c1e70.png

6bdd9364446409bf679c7ee0f31289be.png

dab655be74f7be47e1dbc703cdeb6f64.png

af496de64f07394413965b3d1591436e.png

2f509917c4b0aab0947e1bb631bce738.png

Scottish League Challenge Cup
25/07/2015

e94ff5969590ed069917b6822479d397.png

We played fairly bad for the first fifty minutes. They had many shots on our goal and didn't defend well so it was no surprise to be 4-0 down, after that there was some improvement where we managed to get two goals back and had a few shots on there goal as well as keeping hold of the ball and giving them a real good go. Unfortunately by then it was too late, although we had chances to score a third would could of put pressure on the championship side. Not to be however and hopefully next season we'll get further.

d8dab33c43e68671d1b3cf652eb066d1.png

Last edited:
please keep posting. really good read - first time i've played football manager in years and helped me get back into it