Eligible for Europe question please help?

liamshaw9

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick one, I heard a rumour Cardiff and Swansea are not allowed to play in European tournaments eg champions league because they are from Wales and cant represent England, im Cardiff atm so please tell me this isnt true!!

I'm not sure about it but I read that one guy finished 4th with Swansea and didn't get into the CL so it's possibly true.

No its not true. I'm currently Newport County who are also Welsh and I'm currently in the Europa League so I would assume it's the same for Cardiff and Swansea.

In the FA Cup final Portsmouth vs Cardiff. Cardiff was given permission to enter the European competition because they are from Europe. As far as I know Cardiff and Wales are treated as English clubs when it comes to the competition, at least in Real Life.

A club that can't for example would be Wellington Pheonix in the A League (In Real life, not sure if the game Adheres to the rules) Can't enter the Asian Champions League because New Zealand (where they are based) is still an Oceania club where as Australia is part of the Asian region.

thanks guys, if I ever make it to Europe, i will let you know!

i think cardiff got "special dispensation" for that though, and at least at the time, FA regulations stated no non-english team could qualitfy to play in europe from one of their competitions. in reality, if/when this situation occured again it would be likely they would play - but by the current letter of the regulations I'm not sure - and it may depend how SI interpret it

yeah they are although i suppose technically if uefa and fifa were actually fair and followed the same precedent in all cases then they shouldn't as there is vaduz of liechtenstein can't get into europe through the swiss league system. and there's a welsh league system anyway so technically welsh clubs shoud only be allowed into europe through the welsh league system otherwise tehy are effectively gaining an extra place in europe.