Emulating Italy - European Championship Discussion

So how would you put out Italy's 5-3-2 formation they played against Spain on FM

Thanks

So how would you put out Italy's 5-3-2 formation they played against Spain on FM

Thanks
Personally think they were still quite much 3-5-2

GK: Sweeper Keeper
DCR: Ballplaying def - stopper
DC: Limited def - covering
DCL: Ballplayind def - stopper
MR: Defensive winger
MCR: Ballwinning mid - support
MC: Deeplying PM - support
MCL: Ballwinning mid - def
ML: Defensive winger
STR: Deeplying Fwd
STL: Trequartista.

352, but even more so a 3-1-4-2.

Pirlo, althought usually a deep playmaker was used as an anchor man (defend) here.

3 no nonsense centre backs all with a defensive duty

No to sure about the wingers but I could see that the 2 cm's were playing as a ball winning mid (defend) and a box to box (support).

Balotelli looked to me as if he was playing like a trequartista or some kind of tweaked advanced forward

Cassano was playing as a poacher, but slightly deeper.

Last edited:
Are you guys serious?
3-1-4-2 to get to a bit more defensive form especially maggio was staying very deep.
CD stopper
BPD cover or even Libero with defending duty as De Rossi did a lot in organizing the start up of the attack and was one of the main ball players (first half with the most passes, 2x the passes of Pirlo) while Pirlo was covered
CD stopper

DM - DLP - support - as Pirlo did forward runs
2 Advanced playmakers - with Motta and Marqisio, lots of running with the ball and lots of forward runs and moving into channels. Heck Marquisio even went in a goal scoring position.
2 Def Wings or Wing Backs with support duty, But Giaccherini was more offensive minded than Maggio... I think they switched back at the second half
Cassano - DLF or trequartista as he was not pressing at all, due to his physical abilities
Balotelli - Poacher or Advanced Forward

Giovinco went as attacking mid - attack
Di Natale was a poacher

Are you guys serious?
3-1-4-2 to get to a bit more defensive form especially maggio was staying very deep.
CD stopper
BPD cover or even Libero with defending duty as De Rossi did a lot in organizing the start up of the attack and was one of the main ball players (first half with the most passes, 2x the passes of Pirlo) while Pirlo was covered
CD stopper

DM - DLP - support - as Pirlo did forward runs
2 Advanced playmakers - with Motta and Marqisio, lots of running with the ball and lots of forward runs and moving into channels. Heck Marquisio even went in a goal scoring position.
2 Def Wings or Wing Backs with support duty, But Giaccherini was more offensive minded than Maggio... I think they switched back at the second half
Cassano - DLF or trequartista as he was not pressing at all, due to his physical abilities
Balotelli - Poacher or Advanced Forward

Giovinco went as attacking mid - attack
Di Natale was a poacher

Agree.
De Rossi definitely BPD.
I would only change Motta and Marchisio role to BWM as they played with defensive duty more than offensive.

3-1-4-2 CA, high closing down, deep D line, normal passing, high tempo.

I think Marchisio was box to box, definitely.

I agree, Marchisio was getting forward often and then back to defend as well. Also, Pirlo played in the DMC position as a DLP-Support I thought. In addition, it looked like one of the forwards was an Advanced Forward and the other a Deep-Lying Forward - Support.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a blog about football and I recently wrote a guest article on another blog analysing the Italian 3-5-2, it may help add to the discussion and I hope it will bring you closer to truly emulating the interesting formation they have used, any feedback in the comments section of the article is also appreciated! 90 Minutes Up: Overview of Italy at Euro 2012

Thoughts on Italy- England

More of a 2-3-3-2 I'd say, with Pirlo dropping deeper and the three of De Rossi, Montilivio & Marchesio all taking turns to get forward in a fluid midfield. Also, Cassano was dropping a little deeper as a link man while Balotelli stretched the defence the other way.

I just found this on the tactics used yesterday during the game. Italy vs England

Last edited:
Last game:

4-4-2 diamond

GK - buffon
Full Back support - Abate
Full Back attack/Wing back - Balzaretti
CD - Bonnuci
CD- Barzagli
DM dlp support - Pirlo
CM dlp defend - De Rossi
CM support - Marqisio
AM support - Montolivo
DLF support - Cassano
Poacher - Balloteli

Interesting fact was that De Rossi dropped deep from the left side to help building up the play, while Balzaretti was attacking actively. Second half when Walcott came Balzaretti went to supporting or even defending role while Noccerino who replaced De Rossi played something as left AMC, while Montolivo droped a bit deepr. Maggio was introduced to mimik Balzaretti from the first half at the right side.

Between slow and normal tempo, normal passing down both flangs
Zonal marking pushing up d-line while nobody was tide marking
Target man Pirlo, playmaker Pirlo. Holding up the ball with Pirlo and De Rossi.

Last game:

4-4-2 diamond

GK - buffon
Full Back support - Abate
Full Back attack/Wing back - Balzaretti
CD - Bonnuci
CD- Barzagli
DM dlp support - Pirlo
CM dlp defend - De Rossi
CM support - Marqisio
AM support - Montolivo
DLF support - Cassano
Poacher - Balloteli

Interesting fact was that De Rossi dropped deep from the left side to help building up the play, while Balzaretti was attacking actively. Second half when Walcott came Balzaretti went to supporting or even defending role while Noccerino who replaced De Rossi played something as left AMC, while Montolivo droped a bit deepr. Maggio was introduced to mimik Balzaretti from the first half at the right side.

Between slow and normal tempo, normal passing down both flangs
Zonal marking pushing up d-line while nobody was tide marking
Target man Pirlo, playmaker Pirlo. Holding up the ball with Pirlo and De Rossi.

Agree with most, but De Rossi was box to box, building from deep, but also getting on the end of several attacks

Dude, box to box exist only in England. The Rossi played a whole season in a similar role for Roma but beeing more central and deep. Italy does not produce box to box mids, nor any country beside England. His contribution to attacking was after a corner kick and after a 30 meters shot and that is all.

Dude, box to box exist only in England. The Rossi played a whole season in a similar role for Roma but beeing more central and deep. Italy does not produce box to box mids, nor any country beside England. His contribution to attacking was after a corner kick and after a 30 meters shot and that is all.

Box to Box doesnt only exist in england. but if you are trying to replicate the shuttling he did, it requires the box to box instructions.

He actually had 6 shots on goal, and created three more chances.

Ramires, Fellaini.....B2B midfielders? Stephen Appiah?

Ramires, Fellaini.....B2B midfielders? Stephen Appiah?

Muntari, Ambrosini.

De Rossi tonight had a Box to Box role. If you have an ipad or iphone, get the fourfourtwo starzone app for euro 2012, its free. Watchiing him last, and when you look at the area he covered in the app, its clear that it was not DLP defend

Last edited:
Muntari, Ambrosini.

List can be endless lol. Not to mention it basically gets longer nearly daily, basically because systems change so quickly and the players have to adapt to it, simply because the coach will suddenly change things during the match, and there needs a fluid transition. Never had all this in my day lol

List can be endless lol. Not to mention it basically gets longer nearly daily, basically because systems change so quickly and the players have to adapt to it, simply because the coach will suddenly change things during the match, and there needs a fluid transition. Never had all this in my day lol

Indeed, De rossi may not be raised as box to box man, but that was the role tonight.

Indeed, De rossi may not be raised as box to box man, but that was the role tonight.

Be interesting to see what they come up with against a stronger opponent in Germany. Different kettle of fish, especially if Shcweinsteiger is at the top of his game. So many threats in that side. Looking forward to seeing that one

Muntari, Ambrosini.

Marchisio, Asamoah, Isla when an MC, Inler, Gargano (when he's asked to be, anyway), Thiago Motta, Dejan Stankovic, even people like Daniele Galloppa.

EDIT: Wait, only England produce box to box midfielders? Man, I was always taught not to go full ******...

Back