Emulating Italy - European Championship Discussion

Marchisio, Asamoah, Isla when an MC, Inler, Gargano (when he's asked to be, anyway), Thiago Motta, Dejan Stankovic, even people like Daniele Galloppa.

EDIT: Wait, only England produce box to box midfielders? Man, I was always taught not to go full ******...

Yup, I have been watching Italian football for 18 years. If someone tells me they don't produce box to box men, I will call them a liar.

Would set the full backs as wing back support

Yup, I have been watching Italian football for 18 years. If someone tells me they don't produce box to box men, I will call them a liar.

Would set the full backs as wing back support

Yeah but you're like 40, it's not that impressive.

Both wingbacks as support, Pirlo DLP Defend, De Rossi and Marchisio as B2Bs, Montolivo perhaps as a treq.

Both wingbacks as support, Pirlo DLP Defend, De Rossi and Marchisio as B2Bs, Montolivo perhaps as a treq.

24!!

Would have had pirlo dlp support, but I dont know if that occured purely because of the total lack of pressure on him.

Although De Rossi hung back more than Marchisio so I think he was more of a BWM and Montolivo dropped deeper now and then plus he helped out on defense so not sure if Treq is right for that. Maybe AP-Attack?

Although De Rossi hung back more than Marchisio so I think he was more of a BWM and Montolivo dropped deeper now and then plus he helped out on defense so not sure if Treq is right for that. Maybe AP-Attack?

Montolivo started of as kind of trequartista and when De Rossi came off and Diamanti on for Cassano he dropped much deeper leaving that attacking midfield place for Diamanti.

someone could give me a tactic or instructions and roles of the players? to guide me, especially the 3-1-4-2

Emulating England : Set Ashley Cole and Young - miss penaltyes - often

De Rossi was rised as a tipical CM and later transformed to DLP, then to Left wide mid, then to bwm and now he plays more of Anchor Man and dlp as in Roma he drops really deep when defending.

I think you guys are mistaking the b2b with the tipical CM role. The b2b is a role that includes a lot of pressing and moving into channels or ariving late in the box. De Rossi did not press much futher up, neither he moved into some channels to look for goalscorring opportunities. Rather he just dropped deep to help Pirlo and had more defensive duties to cover the zone left from Balzarreti.

Ambrosini is a Anchor Man or a tipical CM connecting the game with simple passes and movement. Started as CM for Milan initially. Motta and Stankovic are playmakers - holding the ball, running with it, looking to distribute well. The only CM I can call to be a box2box in Italy was Perotta, althoug he would be given different instructions in almost every match he played.

GodCubed, they were def not Wing Backs. Prandelli is very good to make the difference when he needs to use wingbacks and fullbacks. Zonalmarking wrote a very good article about it recently. Although it is very dificult to make the difference, usually the wing back stays much further up and is pressing early, while the full back stays deeper (when defending) and is pressing rarelly.

De Rossi was rised as a tipical CM and later transformed to DLP, then to Left wide mid, then to bwm and now he plays more of Anchor Man and dlp as in Roma he drops really deep when defending.

I think you guys are mistaking the b2b with the tipical CM role. The b2b is a role that includes a lot of pressing and moving into channels or ariving late in the box. De Rossi did not press much futher up, neither he moved into some channels to look for goalscorring opportunities. Rather he just dropped deep to help Pirlo and had more defensive duties to cover the zone left from Balzarreti.

Ambrosini is a Anchor Man or a tipical CM connecting the game with simple passes and movement. Started as CM for Milan initially. Motta and Stankovic are playmakers - holding the ball, running with it, looking to distribute well. The only CM I can call to be a box2box in Italy was Perotta, althoug he would be given different instructions in almost every match he played.

GodCubed, they were def not Wing Backs. Prandelli is very good to make the difference when he needs to use wingbacks and fullbacks. Zonalmarking wrote a very good article about it recently. Although it is very dificult to make the difference, usually the wing back stays much further up and is pressing early, while the full back stays deeper (when defending) and is pressing rarelly.
Box to box doesnt move into the channel, unless you give it that specific instruction. I suggest you look at the area he covered, and actions he made in game, you wont get that using the TC without a box to box role.

The actions of the full backs, is best achieved at setting the full back role to wing back support, so the y move up the entire flank, but more intent on linking play and keeping width than purely just crossing the ball in.

how exploiting pirlo? .. please!
DM o CM?
Rol?
It has had a very goog season and a espectacular euro

Last edited:
Back