Ending the blues of the Blucerchiati

lfc2datop

Reaction score
I've never, ever used an Italian team before, and I'm starting to lose interest in the other save I was playing, so hopefully this will be good, I've loaded the top 2 leagues from England, Italy, Russia and Spain, and the story picks up in Genoa, Italy, July 14, 2009............

Sampdoria have hired Argentinian-Italian manager Justin Smith to fill their vacant managerial position
There was a frenzy of activity outside the gates of the Stadio Luigi Ferraris as new Sampdoria manager Justin Smith held his first press conference. Having been set a minimum aim of a safe, mid-table finish by the Sampdoria board and the fans, Smith laughed, stating that his mother could keep this team away from the drop zone. After recovering from his fit of laughter, Smith stated that he would be disapointed if Sampdoria were not in the top half of the Serie A this season, and also confirmed that former captain Angelo Palombo would remain as the club captain, and that Antonio Cassano would be named the vice-captain. One member of the press was game enough to question this decision, saying that Cassano was "a total nutjob." Smith answered by throwing his mike at the reporter, and stating that Cassano was a totally level-headed person, same as him. The rest of the press laughed nervously, not wanting to be hurt, as the Sampdoria chairman called an early end to the press conference.

Transfers (out??)
Smith has already made some interesting moves in the transfer market, having been given 8.47 million pounds, after adjusting his uge wage budget accordingly. After numerous reports linking key Sampdoria players Cassano, Palombo and Pazzini with EPL sides Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City, Smith responded by signing Cassano to a new contract without a release clause, and sticking huge asking prices on Palombo and Pazzini after recieving formal offers. "They aren't going anywhere, even if we end up in Serie C2" Smith was quoted as saying.

Van Der Vaart a major target for Smith??
rafael-van-der-vaart-family.jpg

The dutchmen, pictured above alongside his smoking-hot wife, is reportedly one of Hojel's major targets as he attempts to make his mark on his newly-inherrited Sampdoria squad. V.D. Vaart is transfer listed at Real Madrid, and has said he expects to leave in the near future. Could he be the newest player to be strutting his stuff at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris, following in the footsteps of former Blanco Antonio Cassano, who is one of the Stars of Sampdoria, as Hojel has labeled his team. Real Madrid have supposedly accepted a 1.3 million pound offer from Hojel to take V.D. Vaart on loan for a season, but with fierce competition from some big EPL sides, as well as Lazio and Fiorentina, this one could be a hard battle for Hojel to face.

Enraged Hojel confirms V.D. Vaart to Lazio, but other signings for Smapdoria
After dutch superstar Rafael V.D. Vaart signed for Lazio early this morning, Hojel reportedly went crazy and snapped one of the goal-posts at the Sampdoria youth training facilities in half. After this, he headed straight to his office, where he abused Real Madrid manager Manuel Pellegrini verbally for a good 20 minutes. He is taking this time out of his 'busy' day to let the fans know some of the dealings that have been going on behind the closed doors of the Stadio Luigi Ferraris this week.
"I am delighted to announce these significant siginings. After missing out on Rafael, I decided to strengthen the squad in a broader sense, rather than go for a star player. As such, many of these signings were made to provide some quality depth in our problem areas. So, without further ado, I would like to introduce our new signings:
In:
Javier Chevanton (Sevilla) 975k- Some quality back-up to Pazzini, Javier was transfer listed, and a bargain for a dependable player to shadow our start striker
Marco Verratti (Pescara) 300k- 16 years old, will be starting in the U/20's for a while, but one to keep an eye on
Vicente (Valencia) 1mil- What a quality player, and priced for sale, I jumped at the opportunity to bring the ex-Spainish international to Stadio Luigi Ferraris, and he will add some flair down the left
Nicolas Otaamendi (Velez) 5.25mil- Yes, Velez drove a hard baargain on this one, but Nicolas was a player I really wanted, and what I want, I get
Tom De Mul (Sevilla) 825k- Another transfer bargain-bin-buy from Sevilla, should provide some depth out wide, and kinda looks like Dirk Kuyt, so hopefully he'll be as good
Out:
No-one, didn't need to raise extra funds, and I still keep having to fight off pesky co-ownership offers for my U/20 startlets Krsticic and Fiorillo.

Hope you like it guys, didn't see any other Sampdoria stories, and, like I said, never done an Italian team before in FM! Anyways, stay tuned for pre-season and more, updates soon :)

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------[/COLOR]

Pre-season:
Sampdoria 2-0 Reserves (Padalino, Bellucci)
Cottbus 2-2 Sampdoria (Radu, Mitreski, Pazzini, Chevanton)
Logrones C.F 0-1 Sampdoria (Bellucci)
WS Woluwe 0-3 Sampdoria (Tissone x2, De Mul)
Frosinone 1-3 Sampdoria (Tavares, Pazzini x3)
Union SG 0-6 Sampdoria (Cassano x3, Bellucci, Padalino, OG)

Overall, I'm pleased with the pre-season, the team seems to be gelling well, and adapting to my tactics (4-2-3-1, with wide AMR/L). Cassano seems to be relishing his Trequariesta role in AMC, and Pazzini is going well as a Poacher.

Italian Cup 3rd Qualifying Round:
Sampdoria 7-1 Grosetto (Semioli, Tissone, Pazzini x3, Cassano x2, OG)
Wow, first game at home and a nice result. Pazzini may have gotten 5-6 but I took him off at half-time, can't have him injured. Otamendi still hasn't featured, injuring himself during training, but will hopefully be back for the first or second Serie A gaame. All in all a good result.

Serie A:
Round 1: Juventus 3-2 Sampdoria (Diego, Amauri, OG, Pazzzini, Vicente [pen])
Actually fairly ****** about this. Written off before the game, we were 2-1 up just after haalf time, we get a red to one defender, Juves score, Juves score again, one man advantage. PAZZINI DECIDES TO GET SENT OFF ARGUING ABOUT OFFSIDE!! Then Cassano has a stoppage time equaliser disallowed. We could have taken 3 points, deserved 1 against a sstrong Juve side, but come away with nothing. Lazio next week, I hope V.D. Vaart gets a broken leg from a two-footed challenge to the knees, that's a red I wouldn't mind ;)

More Serie A to come. How did you like my transfers? What should I be doing better? Comments welcome guys :)

Last edited:
best of luck looks nice start am doing a pescara story i keep a close eye on this :)

I'll follow this, Sampdoria are probably my 2nd favourite italian team to Fiorentina. Decent signings too, Otamendi is a beast. good luck

ill follow this too looks like a good story and your having good results (H)

September Updates
A good month saw us take a point off Inter at the San Siro, which must count as a huge upset. Also gaining a point from a classy Lazio side, and a drubbing of Palermo in front of 27000 fans at the Luigi Ferraris.

Serie A:
Round 2: Sampdoria 1-1 Lazio (Vicente, Zarate)
Zarate threatened all game, an inspired performance by Otamendi limited him to 1, and Vicente took his goal well to gain us a vital point against a class opponent. V.D. Vaart didn't play :(

Round 3: Sampdoria 3-1 Bologna (Pazzini, Cassano, OG, Mingazzini)
Good showing in attack, lost focus toward the end and conceded a soft goal, but controlled the entire match and never looked like losing

Round 4: Inter 1-1 Sampdoria (Ailbec, Tissone)
Good showing away from home against the champions, never expected anything, but Vicente missed a penalty in the dying minutes to win it. Still, an impressive performance that I am delighted with

Round 5: Sampdoria 3-1 Palermo (Pazzini x2, Cassano, Nocerino)
Another powerful display at home, the Luigi Ferraris is turning into a fortress. Palermo are a good side, but our attack was too strong and it showed in the result

So, all-in-all a decent month, 8 points out of 12, but I got a tricky away match against Inter out of the way early, which will hopefully play to my advantage later in the season. The league table is attached below, and we're making a strong start to the season, in 7th.

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Pazzini (3 games, 3 goals, 2 assists, rating 7.94)
Came third in Serie A Goal of the Month with his goal vs Bologna, has wowed fans with his goalscorring, but also his general play, assisting Cassano twice as well.

Looking Forward......
Next month see's winnable matches against teams like Catania and Chievo, with Udinese only looking likely to put up a real challenge, max points is an achievable goal

best of luck looks nice start am doing a pescara story i keep a close eye on this :)

Thanks buddy, yours looks good too, I'll be following :)

I'll follow this, Sampdoria are probably my 2nd favourite italian team to Fiorentina. Decent signings too, Otamendi is a beast. good luck

Yer, he's played OK for me, had a shocker against Bologna, lucky my attack was on, directly at fault for their goal, but he's recovering now, which is good

ill follow this too looks like a good story and your having good results (H)

Haha yerr, hopefully they continue, looks simple for a while, but I wanna try build up a gap before the tough games start rolling in

thanks guys for the support, I'll keep playing and updating :)

October Update:
Wow is all I have to say. Sampdoria have been ripping it up. We've already played Inter, Juve and Roma, and yet still right up there with the big boys. The home wins against Roma and Udinese undoubted highlights so far of a superb season at the Luigi Ferraris.

Round 6: Livorno 0-3 Sampdoria (Pazzini, Cassano, Tissone)
I expected a win away from home, and the team delivered in style, the attack shining, but also backed-up by the top game put in by the defence. On a side note, Pazzini's goal was a record quickest goal, 24 seconds into the match

Round 7: Sampdoria 3-0 Udinese (Cassano x2, Pazzini)
Wow, was not expecting this at all. Either I overestimated Udinese, or I underestimated the power of my team at home. Either way, I'm exstatic over this result, hopefully we can keep it up.

Round 8: Bari 0-2 Sampdoria (Tissone, Palombo)
Rested a few key players, 5 games in less than 2 weeks is gunna put a strain on my small squad, so these games are key if I want to continue on my roll. Only negative was a red card to defender Stefano Lucchini, and injuries to Tom De Mul and Javier Chevanton, but they are short term and should be back in a few days

Round 9: Sampdoria 2-0 Catania (Cassano, Pazzini)
Gave them a rest and they came back firing, good result moves us into the top 3!

Round 10: Chievo 0-1 Sampdoria (Lucchini)
Strikers weren't on fire today, and Cassano hit the wordwork 4 or 5 times, but we got the job done in the end, and a record run of 6 games won in a row.

Round 11: Sampdoria 3-2 Roma (Pazzini x2, Tissone, Totti, Perrotta)
Up 3-0 at half time, the second half performance wasn't great, but the 3 points is all that matters, especially against a top side like Roma.

Followed up my hopes with maximum points in October, absolutely brilliant, and Sampdoria is now in 1st!! Pazzini is the leading goalscorer in the league, Vicente and Casano are tied 1st for assists.

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Pazzini (5 games, 5 goals, 2 assists, rating 7.78)
Has been tearing up the opposition and clinical in front of goal, leading goalscorer of the league, and top rating as well, what a machine

Looking Forward........
Only 3 games in November, but AC milan and local derby vs Genoa sure to be tough. Still, with the team in 1st, confidence is sky-high and we can overcome anyone!

His wife is hot!

Good luck pal :)

His wife is hot!

Good luck pal :)

I know, I'd rather not play and sit on the bench with her if I were VD Vaart ;)

November Update:
Not a great month, only 3 games, only 4 points. Still in first, but the other teams have caught up now, they smell the weakness after the AC Milan game :(

Round 12: Genoa 0-0 Sampdoria
A draw isn't a loss, which is good, but we had many opportunities to put this game away.

Round 13: Sampdoria 1-3 AC Milan (Tissone, Pato x2, Huntelaar)
Fairly disappointed, Pato tore our defence up, and Cassano is injured now for 12 days. Tissone scored a good goal, albeit a concellation goal.

Round 14: Parma 1-3 Sampdoria (Dzemaili, Chevanton x3)
Only playing a bit-part role in my team, I was stunned by Chevanton today. Changed from my normal formation because of an injury to Cassano, Chevanton played a blinder and won me the game.

So, as I said before, not a great month, but still in first. The only real highlight was Chevanton's display against Parma.

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Javier Chevanton (1 game, 3 goals, rating 9.3)
Not a lot to choose from, but his hattrick wins him the award.

Looking Forward...............
Looking to bounce back with some relatively easy games, but still have Fiorentina next month, big-time challenge. Sampdoria still in 1st, but only 2 points ahead now.

good updates so far well done on league posistion but unlucky with AC Milan

Nice update you've got there mate.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks for all the support guys, nice to know that people are enjoying the story.

December Update:

Nice month I guess, still top, but the others are really breathing down my neck now. Surprisingly, Inter are only 7th, and AC are way down the table somewhere :)

Round 15: Sanpdoria 3-2 Sienna (Pazzini x2, Vicente, Ghezzal, Paolucci)
Was a bit nervous after they score in the 86th minute to be 1 goal down, but fdefence held strong, and a well-earned 3 points

Italian Cup 4th Qualifying round: Sampdoria 1-4 Atalanta (Pazzini, Aquafresca x3, Mista)
Absolutely stunned, Aquafresca tore the game apart and got 3 goals, we were never really in it, but I guess now we can focus more on the league.

Round 16: Atalanta 1-1 Samdporia (Ceravolo, Pazzini)
A decent result away from home, probably could have gotten all 3 points when they had a player red-carded late, but I didn't feel too much like pushing it after getting destroyed by the same team 3 days before in the cup.

Round 17: Sampdoria 2-2 Napoli (Pazzini, Cassano, Hamsik, Denis)
I'm happy with the point, the second half they were all over us, and we were lucky to hold them to 2 goals, and take an important point over one of our main contenders now for first.

Bit disappointing to go out of the cup in such a comprehensive smashing, but positives were the points picked up against Napoli and Sienna. Still in first, by GD over Udinese, but if it stays like that for the season I won't be complaining about goal difference.

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Pazzini (4 games, 5 goals, 1 assist, rating 7.53)
Absolutely dominating the league, and 2 goals clear on the Serie A leading goalscorers, been my best player by a mile over the last month.

Looking Forward...................
Tricky games agaainst Fiorentina, Juve and Lazio in the next month, and I can see a few dropped points. However, if we can get some draws in their, and win the easier games like Cagliari, wes hould be in good shape.

Last edited:
Oops forgot the screenshots for December, they are on this post instead.

Serie A End of Year Awards:

Serie A Player of the Year:
3rd- Miccoli (Palermo)
2nd- Quagliarella (Napoli)
1st- Pazzini (Sampdoria)
Wow :)

Italian Player of the Year:
3rd- Miccoli (Palermo)
1st- Pazzini (Sampdoria)
Looking good, Pazzini has been dominating and rightly wins the awards.

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year:
3rd- Tissone (Sampdoria)
2nd- Cavani (Palermo)
1st- Lavezzi (Napoli)
The usnsung hero of Sampdoria, Tissone quietly goes about making goals, and putting some in for himself, and deserves his acknowledgment

Serie A Fan's Player of the Year:
3rd- Miccoli (Palermo)
1st- Pazzini (Sampdoria)
:)

Serie A Young Player of the Year:
3rd- Tissone (Sampdoria)
2nd- Cavani (Palermo)
1st- Pato (AC Milan)
After his display against us, Pato definatley deserves his award, but good work by Tissone as well

So that is it, brilliant season so far from Sampdoria, featuring in all the major awards. Hopefully can keep it up.

Updates soon :)

Janaury:

A decent month, Pazzini continues to dominate, and the team is really starting to play well. Top half looks extremely likely, but I think we can do better, and will probably be playing in Europe next season.

Round 18: Cagliari 3-2 Sampdoria (Lazzari, Biondini, Jeda, Bellucci, Cassano)
Pazzini was injured in training, and didn't play this game. We fought back well, but 3 early goals was enough for Cagliari to hold on.

Round 19: Sampdoria 2-1 Fiorentina (Cassano x2, Gilardino)
Brilliant match, Cassano is in top form and hit twice in the second half to overturn the defecit

Round 20: Sampdoria 1-1 Juventus (Cassano, Amauri)
Happy to come away with a point against a top side, Cassano continues to play brilliantly, he's been winning me points on his own recently

Round 21: Lazio 1-0 Sampdoria (Rocchi)
Disappointing, but Lazio are a good side, they threatened constantly and were deserved winners in the end

Round 22: Bologna 1-3 Sampdoria (Vigiani, Pazzini x2, Vicente)
Pazzini back to his goalscoring best in this match, a solid win

I kept playing on and forgot to get screenshots, but looking back at the results, January was a good month. An unexpected point against Juventus, as well as a great win over Fiorentina, and the season is looking good

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Cassano (4 games, 4 goals, rating 7.52)
Really stepped up in Pazzini's injury, and is performing to his high ability now, showing what a class player he really is.

Looking Forward.............................
Tough game agaainst Inter next month, but February looks to be a relatively-simple month.

February:

Good and bad, following up from a good January. Team is playing some brilliant football now, the chances are flowing and it's coming up in the results

Round 23: Sampdoria 1-1 Inter Milan (Pazzini, Ballotelli)
Good result again against Inter, Pazzini's 90th minute equaliser made me smile

Round 24: Palermo 2-3 Sampdoria (OG, Miccoli, Pazzini x2, Cassano)
Good win, with my 2 superstars doing the damage and coming up with 3 points

Round 25: Sampdoria 2-0 Livorno (Pazzini, Tissone)
Good win at home, Pazzini continues to set the Serie A alight after I rejected several bids for him in January

Round 26: Catania 2-1 Sampdoria (Sciacca, Silvestre, Tissone)
Dissapointed, this should have been an easy 3 points, but we were stunned by a determined 10 man Catania, after getting a red card 15 minutes in.

Decent month, good results against Inter and Palermo, shocker against Catania. I've finished the season in the game, just need to finish the updates until the end, and it's worth the wait.........

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Pazzini (4 games, 4 goals, rating 7.59)
Continued his scoring, and is still leading the scoring charts, abssolutely amazing so far this season, World Cup call-up??

Looking Forward.........................
Next month set to be a big one, with key matches against Roma, Genoa and Udinese set to define the run in to the end of the season

March:

What a month, some big-time ups and downs, still looking good for a European spot next season.

Round 27: Sampdoria 1-0 Bari (Tissone)
A win is a win, and I'll take that every time :)

Round 28: Udinese 0-1 Sampdoria (Tissone)
That's 6 poins from the 2 goals Tissone has chipped in this month, a good defensive display getting the job done away from home at Udinese

Round 29: Sampdoria 0-1 Chievo (Marcolini)
Not happy, home loss to happless Chievo. No-one performed well, and that is the difference between the good teams and the top teams. Could prove vital later on

Round 30: Roma 1-1 Sampdoria (Pizzaro, Chevanton)
Cassano was injured, and Palombo decided to get sent off, so to gain a point I think was a great achievement against one of our major rivals on the league table

Round 31: Sampdoria 1-2 Genoa (Pazzini, Floccari, Palacio)
Very disappointing to lose at home to our big rivals, Pazzini leveled it but Genoa snuck in a late winner to steal all the points

Looking good, with only 2 months to go, to be playing in Europe next season. Genoa and Chievo were very disappointing, but the rest of the matches were good.

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Tissone (5 games, 2 goals, 2 assists, rating 7.41)
Creative force in midfield, had a hand in every goal in March, including scoring 2.

Looking Forward............................
Only 2 months to go, and the fairytale hasn't been shattered yet, hopes are for a spot in at least the Europa League next season, hopefully pushing the top 4, as there are still some key games to come.

April:

Some difficult games, against AC Milan and our bogey team Atalanta, but hopefully the Sampdoria surge can continue all through to the end of the season.

Round 32: AC Milan 2-2 Sampdoria (Ambrosini, Pato, Vicente [pen], Pazzini)
Pazzini went down injured late in the 2nd half, but it doesn't look too bad so hopefuly he'll be right soon. Apart from that, it's a bonus point I didn't expect, especially after the game at the Luigi Ferraris.

Round 33: Sampdoria 1-Parma (Cassano, OG)
Gifted them a point with a soft OG, kinda frustrating after the brilliant performance at San Siro, but hopefully we'll pick up again for the next few games

Round 34: Siena 0-2 Sampdoria (Pazzini, Cassano)
Siena were already doomed to relegation, and this fine performance from 10-man Sampdoria only put a further nail in the coffin

Round 35: Sampdoria 4-0 Atalanta (Pazzini x3, Vicente)
Got some revenge with an absolute drubbing of AtalantaPazzini staring with a hattrick

Draw against Parma was bad, but draw against AC Milan was great, as was the 2 other wins, especially the smashing of Atalanta. with 3 games to go, we've moved up into the top 5, and we still have to play Fiorentina, and a win there will push us above them. CL baby :)

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Pazzini (4 games, 5 goals, rating 7.60)
A hattrick against Atalanta capped off another great month for Pazzini, who has been in absolutely stunning form this season

Looking Forward............................
A win against Fiorentina will put us right up there, and wit some difficul t fixtures for other top teams against each other, some dropped points could see us sneak up the table some more to cap off an already-magnificent season.

Last 3 games and end of season review next update, and it will be worth it, stay tuned :)

May:

Last 3 games of the season, and Sampdoria are very much in contention for a spot in the Champions League. Tough games, but if we can perform, anything can happen

Round 36: Napoli 3-4 Sampdoria (Lavezzi x3, Palombo, Cassano x2, Semioli)
Great result away from home, pushes us up into 4th! Cassano did the main damage, but a superb fightback from Napoli required a late goal from Semioli to secure the 3 points

Round 37: Sampdoria 5-1 Cagliari (OG, Pazzini x2, Cassano, Palombo, Jeda)
Absolutely dominated, and losses for both Juventus and Rma mean we climb into second, 1 point from Juventus, and a shot at the title if Juventus drop points.

Round 38: Fiorentina 1-2 Sampdoria (Gilardino, Pazzini x2)
Well, we went off to Fiorentina expecting defeat, and came up with a great win, thanks to Pazzini. Juventus won their game, but 2nd is a great achievement for Sampdoria in my first season, and I couldn't be proader of the team.

Wow, what a season. Second in the Serie A is amazing for a team like Sampdoria, and to miss out on the title by one point. Needless to say everyone is happy, as this far exceeded the top half finish guarenteed at the start of the season, and next season is sure to be interesting, with some Champions League football sure to be a big test.

Sampdoria Player of the Month: Cassano (3 games, 3 goals, 3 assists, rating 7.72)
Could have gone to Pazzini, but some of Pazzini's goals were set up by Cassano, who also scored 3, including a 40 yard stunner against Cagliari.

Looking Forward........................
Champions League next season, title contenders first season, what can be said. Hopefully the pressure doesn't get to the players next season, and we can repeat these successes. Probably need to add some depth to the squad in key areas, and will mostly look for frees because the club's finances aren't great. But CL, I'm very pleased.

End of Season:
Matches like Chievo and Catania cost us the title, but second is still very pleasing. Will look to build on this for next year, and hopefully can go one step better very soon. There's not many awards given out at the end of the season, as they were mostly given out in January, but here are some:

Serie A Team of the Year:
Cassano and Pazzini were named in Serie A Teaam of the Year, and they deserved it, both played brilliantly all season and were crucial in our final league standing.

Serie A Top Goalscorer:
Pazzani was scoring for fun all season, and with 29 league goals is the top league goalscorer in the Serie A, and also won the European Golden Boot

So that is it for 2009-10 season. Interestingly, I got this message at some point in the season, and thought it was fairly funny, seeing how Valencia sold me Vicente at a reduced price as he was transfer listed, now they want him back?? Well I guess my managing has that effect on players ;)