Carine

Reaction score
So, it's 2010 and the World Cup is only a matter of days away.

England -- boosted with a good squad -- go into the finals as strong candidates to win the trophy. But, days before the tournament begins, the nation is thrown into disarray when Fabio Capello and the entire squad he has chosen refuse to play for reasons unknown at this point.

‘What will we do?’ the FA cried, ‘The fans have already bought their tickets and flown to South Africa!’

Grown men wept uncontrollably in the streets... The whole nation crossed their fingers and wished for a solution of 1966 proportions.

And then, suddenly...

A wishing fairy appeared from nowhere and granted the English their wish, ‘Arise O noble men of '66,’ she called out, flicking her wand madly about her head, ‘You're country needs you again!’

Can the boys of '66 do it again? You decide...

NOTES BEFORE YOU PLAY.
The World Cup Squad has to have 23 players in it. As the 1966 squad comprised of only 22 you must pick one other player (from modern day) to be in the squad. If you don't, the game will reset the squad after the deadline day and most of the '66 team will be dropped for the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand etc...

Some player ratings are randomised.

All players begin at the club they were playing for at the time of 1966 World Cup. They will enter the 2010 tournament at the same age as they were in 1966.

This DB uses patch 10.3

DB link -- http://rapidshare.com/files/396471618/England_1966.xml

Windows Vista save game file (jumps you to July 2010 -- you must add one more player of your choice to the squad before confirming) -- http://rapidshare.com/files/396472993/England_1966.fm

Player faces -- http://rapidshare.com/files/396473377/England_1966.rar

Please leave feedback -- it's always very much appreciated.

A fairy? That's kinda gay. :)

if they refused to play how do we convince gerrard or lamps to play??

why not convince the whole team??

some of the 66 team aint alive????

if they refused to play how do we convince gerrard or lamps to play??

why not convince the whole team??

some of the 66 team aint alive????

It's only a jokey backstory :) I had fun with the database - just thought others might too :)

Beat me to it. I have a save, which i actually haven't played yet (6) managing England with the 1966 world cup squad, but i might download this and start again (well, start...) because you've created a whole new database, AND have player pictures, in my save, using the legends database, everyone seems to be an incredible 20 year old Chinese player... (facepacks....)

EDIT: I also made my manager Alf Ramsey and in such i'm going to look at some articles etc. and try to recreate the "wingless wonder" tactic, i think there's something on FM-Britain on it so i'll look at that, will let you know how i get on, thanks for the time you spent on the DB

Beat me to it. I have a save, which i actually haven't played yet (6) managing England with the 1966 world cup squad, but i might download this and start again (well, start...) because you've created a whole new database, AND have player pictures, in my save, using the legends database, everyone seems to be an incredible 20 year old Chinese player... (facepacks....)

EDIT: I also made my manager Alf Ramsey and in such i'm going to look at some articles etc. and try to recreate the "wingless wonder" tactic, i think there's something on FM-Britain on it so i'll look at that, will let you know how i get on, thanks for the time you spent on the DB

Cool :) If you're going to try this database I forgot to say in the OP that the 1966 squad are banned until a week before the 2010 World Cup squads are to be decided. I did this to prevent them being transferred and lower the risk of them being injured before the tournament started.

The wingless wonder would be good to try out -- let me know if you get it ready for download :) thanks.

This looks great, will give it a bash in the near future.

Thanks for comments guys :) I'd forget about this thread tbh -- didn't get much interest when I first released it, lol. At least some of you are getting use out of it now :)