• Thread starter Thread starter DMF
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 2K

DMF

@dmf180593
Reaction score
Seriously, are you taking the ****!? :/

England go up one place to seventh, but Portugal drop 5 places to eighth!
Also, Italy drop to 11th and France drop to 21st after their poor showings in the World Cup.

1. Spain
2. Netherlands
3. Brazil
4. Germany
5. Argentina
6. Uruguay
7. England
8. Portugal
9. Egypt
10. Chile

11. Italy
21. France

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8818696.stm

Last edited:
why are Egypt even in the top 10 when they did not qualify for the World Cup??

and after that England performance in the World Cup,I think even Chile should be higher than them

That 13th place was their ranking in the actual tournament, so effectively they finished 13th in the World Cup.

This is the FIFA World Rankings.

How the actual **** did we manage that?

Lol at France though.

Dont forget though that these rankings are worked out for a long period of time using a formula which rates each team against higher or lower placed teams. Its confusing how it works. Just because someone like Ghana did well for example does not mean they jump into the top 10 because of one tournament. I did get a shock when I saw this as I thought England might have dropped to about 10 in the rankings.

Again, This is why the FIFA rankings are a joke, Would love to know how England moved up while Portugal dropped 5. Scotland moved up two places after our epic wc, woo!

Dont forget though that these rankings are worked out for a long period of time using a formula which rates each team against higher or lower placed teams. Its confusing how it works. Just because someone like Ghana did well for example does not mean they jump into the top 10 because of one tournament. I did get a shock when I saw this as I thought England might have dropped to about 10 in the rankings.

Exactly, so how does that mean we drop?
We drew 0-0 with Ivory Coast and Brazil.
Beat North Korea 7-0, and lost 1-0 to the winners of the tournament.

England drew 1-1 with USA, 0-0 with Algeria, beat Slovenia 1-0 and lost 4-1 to Germany!?

Uruguay have moved up to 6th after their epic World Cup, so surely Ghana should have moved up a fair distance? Egypt in the top 10 even though they didn't qualify? How ridiculous.

Again, This is why the FIFA rankings are a joke, Would love to know how England moved up while Portugal dropped 5. Scotland moved up two places after our epic wc, woo!

Exactly my point. Same with Egypt, how do they keep their top 10 status if they didn't qualify for the World Cup?

why are Egypt even in the top 10 when they did not qualify for the World Cup??

and after that England performance in the World Cup,I think even Chile should be higher than them

They won the African Cup of Nations.

England, who only won one game (an edgy win over Slovenia), are better than Portugal? Give me a break. Eduardo alone could've beaten England.

England, who only won one game (an edgy win over Slovenia), are better than Portugal? Give me a break. Eduardo alone could've beaten England.

Ghana got to the final of the African Nations Cup and went out on penalties in the Quarter Final of the World Cup after some blatent cheating.
Egypt didn't qualify for the World Cup. Surely Ghana should be above them.

Just a quick point here, if France were still in this ranking come the draw for WC qualifying, would they be in pot 2 ?

Here you go you can try to work out why now.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fif...7/fs-590_10e_worldrankingpointcalculation.pdf

If that link dont work you find it on this page as a document.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/procedure/men.html

Fifa Rankings questions and answers.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/r&a-wr/52/00/95/fs-590_05e_wrqa.pdf

The points are gained from over the last 4 years and that includes friendlies, qualifying games and major tournaments but different points are awarded on the strength of a competition. The African nations is not as strong as the European championship in terms of stronger nations involved. Its not just worked out over a tournament that has just ended. Its a very complex formula that works it out fairly.

Last edited:

yeah but they still did not qualify for the World Cup witht the likes of Algeria and Ghana doing much better than them,thats why these rankings look like a joke too me

Ghana got to the final of the African Nations Cup and went out on penalties in the Quarter Final of the World Cup after some blatent cheating.
Egypt didn't qualify for the World Cup. Surely Ghana should be above them.

Aye, I agree Ghana are better. But Egypt won the African Cup of Nations regardless, and it was after the WC qualifying stages.

Back