England in worst ever World Cup ranking

GodCubed

Mod-ern Day Legend
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8814195.stm

England's performance at South Africa 2010 was officially their worst at a World Cup finals, according to Fifa. [FIFA's] post-tournament rankings placed Fabio Capello's side 13th out of the 32 teams following their tame exit in the last 16.
Their previous worst placing was 11th in 1958 and this summer's ranking is seven places lower than England's showing at the last two tournaments.
So, they're OFFICIALLY the worst England team ever, then. Unsurprising, really, but a confirmation of just how badly this campaign went.

Last edited:
Not quite the worst ranking ever -- we didn't even qualify in 1994 -- but still bad :(

I miss read the OP, lol. So this is the worst ever? Only way is up then, lol.

if capello has any sense, he will kill the internationall career of those who undermined him and damaged the side (yes you john terry)

And you know what they say - "13 is a lucky number". :)

Yeah, the only surprising thing is that we're not lower, I agree.

things capello should do:
1) bribe mancini into letting hart go on loan to another decent club
2) bribe wenger into lettwilshere go to bolton again
3) tell wenger and walcott that he is an inside forward, not a winger
4) bribe moyes tunring rodwell into a central defender
5) phone carrick and tell him to "pull his finger out his ****" or he'll never play for england again, and huddlestone will take his place permanently
6) play 4-2-3-1 put gerrard on the bench and, if he doesnt like it he can retire with carragher (again)

Surprised it isn't lower. Absolutely pathetic show.

things capello should do:
1) bribe mancini into letting hart go on loan to another decent club
2) bribe wenger into lettwilshere go to bolton again
3) tell wenger and walcott that he is an inside forward, not a winger
4) bribe moyes tunring rodwell into a central defender
5) phone carrick and tell him to "pull his finger out his ****" or he'll never play for england again, and huddlestone will take his place permanently
6) play 4-2-3-1 put gerrard on the bench and, if he doesnt like it he can retire with carragher (again)
I think rodwell would be better as a holding midfielder like Schweinsteiger for the Germans if we change to 4-2-3-1

I think rodwell would be better as a holding midfielder like Schweinsteiger for the Germans if we change to 4-2-3-1
i see where you are coming from, but i think we have a decent central midfield, but we dont have any young upcoming defenders who are any good on the ball, a la ferdinand or king, and we badly need one, as was shown through the world cup

I am not too worried about these so called rankings just for the world cup but the main Fifa rankings for all the national teams is the one I am worried about as that can affect where you are seeded for qualifying groups. I dont think we should be too worried as we made the World Cup and had good qualifying record before the World Cup. Where we will start slipping and should be worried about if we continously fail to qualify for main tournaments.

At least Capello got us to the major tournament where the wally with the brolly could not get us to qualify for the Euros.
And on the positive side we still came ahead of Italy and France.

Also I think people are forgetting that since England first appeared in a World cup finals tournament that more teams now compete in it. So take where we finished in 1950 as there were less teams in it to how many there are competing now the figures dont really match up by saying its our worst ever finish.

Last edited:
I think we've got a better chance of winning the World Cup when the ego's of the "golden generation" have been exorcised from the team. Having said that I don't expect the next batch of players to be much better.

Come on guys, look on the bright side......At least we're not France :D

Ghana being the seventh best team in the World doesn't sound right.

But yeah, England were so ****. Key players were ****, not to mention the others.

13th isn't that bad considering how shocking we've been.
Hopefully by the time the Euro's come around, we will have a whole new look to the team.

Where were we positioned before out of interest?

13th isn't that bad considering how shocking we've been.
Hopefully by the time the Euro's come around, we will have a whole new look to the team.

Where were we positioned before out of interest?
this isnt our world ranking. its just where we finished in terms of the world cup

LOL, is England really after Portugal?! Someone please tell me how these rankings are made :p