England in worst ever World Cup ranking

Oh right.

I expect we've gone down a fair bit in the World Rankings aswell then.
they havent done them yet, as of end may we were 8th. but considering the teams around us either arent even in the world cup are did just as badly we should be ok...unless we play like that through qualifying

Worst performance = worst ranking.

It's not rocket science :S

they havent done them yet, as of end may we were 8th. but considering the teams around us either arent even in the world cup are did just as badly we should be ok...unless we play like that through qualifying

Yeah but teams like Uruguay, Ghana etc. will fly up the rankings, I wouldn't be surprised if we were outside the top ten when they release the rankings.

Worst performance = worst ranking.

It's not rocket science :S

Yeah but teams like Uruguay, Ghana etc. will fly up the rankings, I wouldn't be surprised if we were outside the top ten when they release the rankings.
no uruguay are 16th, and ghana arent even in the top 25, a

Last edited:
There's no hiding from the fact that we were terrible this summer, but these current players need to stay in the team as long as possible, we simply need them to perform like they do for their clubs. We have no other players currently good enough to play for the senior squad, and maybe a few potential stars, but we'll have to wait maybe 2-3 years to see these players, and by then, we'd have had an embarrassing Euro 2012.

If the tactics are right - and ego's are put aside, we currently have the best central midfield in the word, bar Spain.

There's no hiding from the fact that we were terrible this summer, but these current players need to stay in the team as long as possible, we simply need them to perform like they do for their clubs. We have no other players currently good enough to play for the senior squad, and maybe a few potential stars, but we'll have to wait maybe 2-3 years to see these players, and by then, we'd have had an embarrassing Euro 2012.

If the tactics are right - and ego's are put aside, we currently have the best central midfield in the word, bar Spain.
thats just it the egos have been there too long, id rather have a poor euro 2012 and get better in the long term than shuffle along half assed like we are doing. we dont need stars we need a TEAM.

Quite frankly with regards to our current coaching/youth set-up, the FA have screwed us up big time for the future. They have done next to nothing to improve this, whereas the likes of Spain have invested heavily and look where they are now... World Cup winners, Euro 2008 winners and will be #1 in the world rankings by the time they come out. They invested so much so many years ago and are reaping the benefits now. We have invested sod all and look at us.

For me, the FA just basically looked at our ''golden generation'' and just thought screw it, these players are good enough to do extremely well in a World Cup, what's the point to invest money in the future?!

In my opinion, right now we need to get rid of the likes of James, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick and Heskey. From the current team now we should have:

.......Hart............
Johnson........... .................... ............... A cole
............. ....... ..............
Lennon................ ................. ..............
...........Rooney...........

Out of our starting XI those are the only players I want to see wear an England jersey ever again. This is the formation I want to be seen - A 4-2-3-1 and along the lines of themadsheep I'd like to see a ball playing defender in there to go alongside someone like King etc... Just fill the gaps with players like Rodwell, Walcott, Gosling etc and just nurture some talent in.

Right now, I would just disregard the Euro's in 2012 and use the qualifying campaign to nurture a young team through, if we don't get through oh well, the young players would gain valuable experience in competitive internationals and if we do go through, then great... As much as I hate to say it, the German way is what we should be looking at. And if we do this, whilst investing heavily into coaching and grass roots football in England then we can look forward to a promising 2014 and an even more promising long-term future.

things capello should do:
1) bribe mancini into letting hart go on loan to another decent club
2) bribe wenger into lettwilshere go to bolton again
3) tell wenger and walcott that he is an inside forward, not a winger
4) bribe moyes tunring rodwell into a central defender
5) phone carrick and tell him to "pull his finger out his ****" or he'll never play for england again, and huddlestone will take his place permanently
6) play 4-2-3-1 put gerrard on the bench and, if he doesnt like it he can retire with carragher (again)
everything right here except that gerrard is better than lampard so drop lampard instead

Oh dear, United States are above us? Can't be doing with that :'(

Alex has it spot on.

I agree totally with what he says apart from Rooney. The bloke needs to have his face shoved in the mud and should be begging for his place again afterwards.

Quite frankly with regards to our current coaching/youth set-up, the FA have screwed us up big time for the future. They have done next to nothing to improve this, whereas the likes of Spain have invested heavily and look where they are now... World Cup winners, Euro 2008 winners and will be #1 in the world rankings by the time they come out. They invested so much so many years ago and are reaping the benefits now. We have invested sod all and look at us.

For me, the FA just basically looked at our ''golden generation'' and just thought screw it, these players are good enough to do extremely well in a World Cup, what's the point to invest money in the future?!

In my opinion, right now we need to get rid of the likes of James, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick and Heskey. From the current team now we should have:

.......Hart............
Johnson........... .................... ............... A cole
............. ....... ..............
Lennon................ ................. ..............
...........Rooney...........

Out of our starting XI those are the only players I want to see wear an England jersey ever again. This is the formation I want to be seen - A 4-2-3-1 and along the lines of themadsheep I'd like to see a ball playing defender in there to go alongside someone like King etc... Just fill the gaps with players like Rodwell, Walcott, Gosling etc and just nurture some talent in.

Right now, I would just disregard the Euro's in 2012 and use the qualifying campaign to nurture a young team through, if we don't get through oh well, the young players would gain valuable experience in competitive internationals and if we do go through, then great... As much as I hate to say it, the German way is what we should be looking at. And if we do this, whilst investing heavily into coaching and grass roots football in England then we can look forward to a promising 2014 and an even more promising long-term future.
this. alex, ive put up lots of threads recently about the fa, and also the germany model, they might interest you. one thing i will say is that the germany model is actually based on a paper written by howard wilkinson for the fa 12 years ago, they just seemingly ignored it . however clive woodward it used to build the 2003 rugby world cup winning side, and the DFB for the side that just finished 3rd

re your side: i wouldnt drop rio, he and king are the only two defenders we have who are any good on the ball, and we dont have any coming through, except for rodwell, but he is currently playing in midfield. and i would keep lampard and rotate him with wilshere for that amc slot

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Alex has it spot on.

I agree totally with what he says apart from Rooney. The bloke needs to have his face shoved in the mud and should be begging for his place again afterwards.
why? for playing poorly while half fit? capello had a lose lose situation with him, got slammed for playing, would have been slammed if he had dropped him

Alex has it spot on.

I agree to an extent mate, but to be honest although his attitude could do with being looked at, you can't fault his effort, workrate, commitment and general quality (World Cup aside). One day he will be the main man of this team and will be England captain. I just think that the burden of all our hopes on him coupled with an injury or two just meant for a poor world cup.

I don't know what you lads are crying about - our highest is 27!

no uruguay are 16th, and ghana arent even in the top 25, a

Yes but the latest rankings haven't been released yet and a good tournament propels you through the rankings, so they will be up there.

Last edited:
2010 World Cup standings:
1 Spain
2 Netherlands
,3 Germany,
4 Uruguay
5 Argentina
6 Brazil,
7 Ghana,
8 Paraguay
9 Japan,
10 Chile,
11 Portugal,
12 United States,
13 England,
14 Mexico,
15 South Korea,
16 Slovakia
17 Ivory Coast,
18 Slovenia,
19 Switzerland,
20 South Africa,
21 Australia,
22 New Zealand,
23 Serbia,
24 Denmark
25 Greece,
26 Italy,
27 Nigeria,
28 Algeria,
29 France,
30 Honduras
31 Cameroon,
32 North Korea

this. alex, ive put up lots of threads recently about the fa, and also the germany model, they might interest you. one thing i will say is that the germany model is actually based on a paper written by howard wilkinson for the fa 12 years ago, they just seemingly ignored it . however clive woodward it used to build the 2003 rugby world cup winning side, and the DFB for the side that just finished 3rd

Just a cautionary note on those proposals though mate. Woodward won the World Cup - how have England done since then? England's rugby under Woodward really was very poor to watch. In the meantime the Kiwis had gone away and are now setting the standard again playing much more entertaining rugby football. Germany had a good tournament but played very, very reactive football which is going out not to lose.

It is a clash of philosophies - do you want long term sustainable success (heck Ajax were reaping the rewards of Michels work well into the 90s, and Barca still are because they've topped it up with Cryuff and Van Gaal also overseeing the club) or do you want quick success? Will you pay to watch Chelsea more willingly under Mourinho or under Ancelotti? (That's the intriguing thing about Mourinho at Real Madrid - ultimate pragmatist at a club which believes itself 'too good' to be pragmatic :D).

Current youth system was ballsed up badly by Hughes and we're continue to pay the price. But... are you sure you want to see England playing like Germany did this world cup? No right answers to the question, but it was intriguing to see all the pundits salivating over Germany while damning sides who play like that in the league for not playing like Arsenal or Manchester United. Germany's style of play is a stepping stone not a destination to me.

And I'll shaddup ;)

Just a cautionary note on those proposals though mate. Woodward won the World Cup - how have England done since then? England's rugby under Woodward really was very poor to watch. In the meantime the Kiwis had gone away and are now setting the standard again playing much more entertaining rugby football. Germany had a good tournament but played very, very reactive football which is going out not to lose.

It is a clash of philosophies - do you want long term sustainable success (heck Ajax were reaping the rewards of Michels work well into the 90s, and Barca still are because they've topped it up with Cryuff and Van Gaal also overseeing the club) or do you want quick success? Will you pay to watch Chelsea more willingly under Mourinho or under Ancelotti? (That's the intriguing thing about Mourinho at Real Madrid - ultimate pragmatist at a club which believes itself 'too good' to be pragmatic :D).

Current youth system was ballsed up badly by Hughes and we're continue to pay the price. But... are you sure you want to see England playing like Germany did this world cup? No right answers to the question, but it was intriguing to see all the pundits salivating over Germany while damning sides who play like that in the league for not playing like Arsenal or Manchester United. Germany's style of play is a stepping stone not a destination to me.

And I'll shaddup ;)
i understand where you are coming from, im not saying its the pinnacle, but surely its better than where we are now? long term and short term we look fairly rudderless.

as for the football we played, i can see what capello what trying to with the 4-4-2, trying to to implement the modern 4-4-2, at least i think that was what he was doing, but i think he rated our players better than they are, at least in a tactical sense.

and as for rugby, dont get me started, i have a whole new rant about that...

Last edited: