England in worst ever World Cup ranking

also i read somewhere that the FA is £350million in debt, despite only having a turnover of about £300 million, seriously if this is true, it just sums up the state of our football. I mean, what the ****?

i understand where you are coming from, im not saying its the pinnacle, but surely its better than where we are now?

Aye, but it's soul destroying 'Sven' type football only made tolerable by success.It can be a stepping stone to something more, but very few managers want to risk it and setting up your youth system to produce that counter-attacking kind of football as its aim would almost certainly prevent it (in fact, not too many changes would be required in current systems at most clubs - biggest would be a bigger emphasis on defensive work and pressing in your own half which in itself is no bad thing).

Aye, but it's soul destroying 'Sven' type football only made tolerable by success.It can be a stepping stone to something more, but very few managers want to risk it and setting up your youth system to produce that counter-attacking kind of football as its aim would almost certainly prevent it (in fact, not too many changes would be required in current systems at most clubs - biggest would be a bigger emphasis on defensive work and pressing in your own half which in itself is no bad thing).
if you were capello, how would you set up the england side?

as for the football we played, i can see what capello what trying to with the 4-4-2, trying to to implement the modern 4-4-2, at least i think that was what he was doing, but i think he rated our players better than they are, at least in a tactical sense.

I think so too. Headless chicken syndrome once they got on the pitch seems to be the root cause. But in some ways that kind of football, high intensity, high pace, can be exceptionally successful against teams who play like Germany. Providing you've got players who will work at getting possession back...

and as for rugby, dont get me started, i have a whole new rant about that...

Haha. But it's different cultures too isn't it? A Kiwi or Welsh manager would get slaughtered for playing the kind of pragmatic game Leicester and Bath established as the English 'benchmark'. And England are now betwixt and between because they've gone down a blind alley - won a world cup though. It's that kind of tradeoff.

Also - good book is Why England Lose by Simon Kuper. Worth a read.http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/aug/09/why-england-lose-simon-kuper

Moneyball is also good about economics and its impact on sport. But that's kind of irrelevant with national sides to some degree.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

if you were capello, how would you set up the england side?

Need to have a think about that. Problem is injuries to a very thin upper tier of players and the imbalance in what they represent (eg we have two attacking fullbacks, we should therefore balance that out with two holding midfield players - but we only really have two who can do the job, and one of them is permanently injured - our only decent wingers with pace and ability to cross the ball are all on the right side, but we don't have a workhorse on the left to balance it out etc).

Will have a think on it when I get up in the morning.

looking forward to it. hopefully the next thing i read about england will be positive, not holding my breath though

Last edited:
How rooney, johnson, gerrard, lampard, upson and terry got away with so many school boy errors and consistent bad performaces i dont know, if it was a british manager theyd have their necks rung =) think SAF xD.

How on earth did we actually move up a place in the rankings... :O

LOL @ France 21st!

How rooney, johnson, gerrard, lampard, upson and terry got away with so many school boy errors and consistent bad performaces i dont know, if it was a british manager theyd have their necks rung =) think SAF xD.
you forget maclaren... plently of schoolboy errors under him

Hart

G.Johnson - Ferdinand - Terry - A. Cole

Barry - Carrick

?!?! - Gerrard - J.Cole

Rooney

Problems:

not a lot of pace in that side

can't for the life of me think of a right sided midfielder who can both cut inside and go down the wing who also has a motor to track back. Mind you Joe Cole isn't ideal either. Fullbacks will be very vulnerable going forward.

Carrick. Don't think he's mobile enough. Ideally, I'd want a Hargreaves type player. Heck, even a Paul Ince or a Nicky ****. But limited by the fact that England don't have a ball carrying CB who plays on the left hand side.

width - that team will tend to be totally reliant on the fullbacks for width. Shortage of options at fullback and for wingers means little in the way of solutions possible.

Hart

G.Johnson - Ferdinand - Terry - A. Cole

Barry - Carrick

?!?! - Gerrard - J.Cole

Rooney

Problems:

not a lot of pace in that side

can't for the life of me think of a right sided midfielder who can both cut inside and go down the wing who also has a motor to track back. Mind you Joe Cole isn't ideal either. Fullbacks will be very vulnerable going forward.

Carrick. Don't think he's mobile enough. Ideally, I'd want a Hargreaves type player. Heck, even a Paul Ince or a Nicky ****. But limited by the fact that England don't have a ball carrying CB who plays on the left hand side.

width - that team will tend to be totally reliant on the fullbacks for width. Shortage of options at fullback and for wingers means little in the way of solutions possible.
you dont think milner can cut it?

not that simple

Maybe its not as simplistic as i put it, but look at the Germans. Their youngsters were hungry and a force to be reckoned with. We have great young players, but they won't get a chance as no England manager is brave enough to drop the likes of Terry and Lampard who are clearly past it at international level.

Maybe its not as simplistic as i put it, but look at the Germans. Their youngsters were hungry and a force to be reckoned with. We have great young players, but they won't get a chance as no England manager is brave enough to drop the likes of Terry and Lampard who are clearly past it at international level.
they followed basic tactical instructions thats why, not becuase they were young. lampard isnt past it at international level he is just not a central midfielder. its not as simple as bringing in the youngsters. its not a guarantee they will even be that good. it doesnt matter who you bring in if they cant play as a cohesive team

Why does not anybody point finger to Rooney? Someone shoud teach him to behave, and prehaps teach him how to accept losses and maybe he will reach or at least be close to reach level of one Garry Lineker. On World Cup, not just in Manchester shir

Why does not anybody point finger to Rooney? Someone shoud teach him to behave, and prehaps teach him how to accept losses and maybe he will reach or at least be close to reach level of one Garry Lineker. On World Cup, not just in Manchester shir
because he is not the sole reason for englands failure...

My England Team:

Hart
A Cole - Dawson - Ferdinand - G Johnson
Cattermole - Milner
<- J Cole - Gerrard ->
Rooney
Agbonlahor​

World Cup winners 2014 ;)