mjpresto

Reaction score
'm managing England NT as a second job behind Barca. We've just won the Euro 2016 but Rooney struggled throughout the competition. Fortunately, Ashley Young picked up the slack for the team. Rooney netted 3 goals throughout the tournament in 2 games (once in first game group stage and twice in semis) but largely disappointing in all others.

I'm playing 4-3-3, like what I did with Barca
GK (goalkeeper defend)
RB (fullback attack)
CB (central defender cover)
CB (central defender defend)
LB (wingback attack)
DM (anchor man defend)
MCR (central midfielder support)
MCL(advanced playmaker support)
AMR(winger attack)
AML(inside forward attack)
ST ?

The two MC's, and two wingers at times, creates a lot of CCC's but Rooney just can't put it on the net. I tried playing him as Complete Forward/Deep-Lying Forward/Advanced Forward/or even Poacher, all on Attack duty, but he just won't play well. His two semis goals came from two very lucky headers. After the tournament, vice-captain Lampard retired from football and captain Terry relinquished his position thus promoting Rooney to captainship. I want him to start playing at his best coz he's the captain right now and he should lead by example.

What do you think is wrong with the tactic?

By the way, were talking of England 2016 here...

It dosn't make sence playing rooney in an attacking role up front unless you play him as treq, this due to his fantastic passing skills, being a just as good goal "setupper" as a scorer, therefore i believe you should play him either Complete forward or Deep lying forward on support eventually playing your wingers higher up the pitch so they become more of a threat at goal.

Myself play rooney as deep-lying forward with manchester united and he both scores himself and sets up Hernandez for quite many goals :)