England Squad For Greece Match

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
Squad in full: Robinson, Kirkland, Foster, Bridge, Brown, Carragher, A. Cole, Dawson, Ferdinand, G. Neville, P. Neville, Terry (c), Young, Downing, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Jenas, Lampard, Lennon, Richardson, Wright-Phillips, Ashton, Bent, Crouch, Defoe.

I have to say that's a pretty swish squad. Glad to see no Walcott, no Beckham, and Ashton getting a place.

Only player missing is Pennant.;)

Becks shouldn't be dropped IMO. He's still a great player and your saviour in the world cup. Without him you would of been seriously embarrassed.

Yeh I don't think Becks deserved to get dropped like this but he did need to improve his performances, which I feel he started to do before he was dropped.

Everyone was ranting and raving on about all our goals came from his free-kicks and corners which we will now not have if this is a long-term option. But, it does now give the team a young look and will probably help us to play football rather than what we did at the world cup, which I can only describe as surviving and existing {apart from the moment Rooney got sent off}. Glad to see Richardson and Brown in there from a Man Utd perspective probably wont last too long - until the return of Ledly King and Joe Cole. Also Dean Ashton who was a wonder-kid in previous Cm's and has proven his worth woth West Ham. Overall a good looking team with good cuts such as Theo Walcott, Robert Green, David James Scott Carson and Sol Campbell for various reasons.

But, I thought Bent had been put in the U21's squad aswell? Must just be me seeing things lol. He probably 22 aswell but I'm a bit confused.

Lennon and Wright-Phillips are the future, i'm glad to see Beckham dropped from this team because as McClaren says he's planning for the future and Becks won't be around forever. If he plays well for Real then i'd welcome him back for the next squad. I also hope Bent isn't a one season wonder and continues last seasons form because other than him and obviously Rooney I can't see any other good young strikers coming through.

Glad to see him planning for future, its a good thing trying out the younger english talent. Becks should play in the qualifiers I think even if its for half an hour at the end of a game, IMO tbh I think Becks should start, then lennon should come on have about half an hour to rip down the right, same with Richardson when cole's fit. But this could be Richardson or Downings' chance to take that LM spot. Prefer it to be Richardson obviously as a man utd fan, but i think he has the potential, scored two on his debut. Good enough for me.

Ben Foster is amazing and will one day be number 1. His performance 4 us (wrexham) won us the LDV Trophy, and last years was key 2 Watfords promotion. Beck's was no longer worthy of a place ahead of lennon and SWP, who are exciting players. I like the way McClaren has gone, it looks as though he plans 2 play attacking and exciting football, what suppoters want. However will it win the major trophy we so desire.

great to see dawson getting a chance, hes forming a great partnership with king at spurs. beckhams had his chance, sure advertising wise hes great for england, but its a new era and lennon is way forward. also i would like to see dave nugent of presten given a chance, 2 great goals against wolves, only 22 and surely a cert to make the step up into prem and engalnd squad sooner rather than later.

Seeing as no one could have predicted that squad, what do you think the team will be? I'm going for...

GK - Robinson
DL - A. Cole
DR - Neville
DC - Ferdinand
DC - Terry {c}
ML - Downing
MR - Wright-Phillips
MC - Lampard
MC - Gerrard
FC - Crouch
FC - Defoe

After Owen Hardgreaves' performance at the World Cup It will be hard to drop him, but I think that Steve McClaren won't do anything too dramatic to the tactic or team to accomodate him as it is only his first game in charge. I think on the wings he will opt for the more expierince Right-Mid in Wright-Phillips and Downing at Left-Mid as he was at the World Cup and Richardson was not. Up front hopefully Defoe will start show why he should have been at the World Cup.

its probably that side but maybe a few changes, maybe lennon instead of wright phillips, maybe he might play owen hargreaves in a 4-1-4-1 formation. who knows?