England To Win World Cup Say City Analysts

Average Joe

Reaction score

Spain will be runners-up and the Netherlands will come third, according to a statistical forecast by JP Morgan.
While they concede that Brazil are the world's number one team, they say the South American five-time winners face a tough group stage and are likely to be knocked out before reaching the final.
Analysts Matthew Burgess and Marco Dion took data on Fifa rankings, previous football results and bookmakers' odds, then used them in a quantitative analysis model - or Quant Model - designed for assessing the value of stocks.
Their results are contained in a 69-page report covering topics ranging from dealing with penalty shoot-outs and the shape of the team to "price trend metrics".

The report says: "Having developed a rather successful Quant Model over the years, we intend to introduce it to our readers and also use its methodology to apply it to a fruitful field for statistics: Football and the World Cup."
The JP Morgan pair freely admit that their predictions should be taken "with a pinch of salt", but viewed the World Cup as "an ideal opportunity to light-heartedly explain quantitative techniques and demystify the typical Quant framework".
Analysis of share prices can often become self-fulfilling prophecies, as markets can react to predictions, but it is difficult to see how football results could be influenced in the same way.
Rival experts at UBS, who successfully foresaw Italy's 2006 victory, have predicted a Brazil win.
The official Fifa rankings put England in eighth position, with Brazil first and Spain second.

From Sky News site, what a load of......

Load of bollocks. I heard the same thing before France 98,Japan/ Korea 02 and Germany 06 :S

So JP Morgan and UBS, two of the biggest investment banks in the world have found time to produce 69 pages of bullshit statistics in an attempt to predict the result of the World Cup.

And people wonder why the financial crisis ever occurred....

Last edited:
Statistics don't take into account refereeing decisions, injuries, luck, media pressure etc. We all know the World Cup is impossible to predict.

my jpmorgan sharefund is 22% up might be worth a bet

Seeing as England's record on penalties is terrible, and they've been beaten by nearly every team ranked above them in recent times -- how did we come out as winners in this test?

I agree completely. What a great report.

I did read in a shop somewhere that if you buy a Toshiba T.V and England win the cup then it's free :O

We made up an excel spreadsheet in the office and basically did the exact same thing, England shockingly never came up as winners (A)

We made up an excel spreadsheet in the office and basically did the exact same thing, England shockingly never came up as winners (A)

You must have done it wrong! FACTS at the top mate ;)

Who won yours?