Joleon Lescott
Ashley Cole

Gareth Barry
Scott Parker
James Milner
Adam Johnson
Theo Walcott
Gabby Agbonlahor

I think this is the perfect formation/team to play against Spain even though many are inexperienced at this level.

Joe Hart: This was already a definite decision no matter who was in front of him.

Phil Jones: In my opinion I would choose him over Glen Johnson as he is in great form and also Johnson has just returned from injury and not fully match fit. Also Phil Jones' stamina is something to admire and also when counter attacking he can burst into a space in a blink of an eye.

Ashley Cole: Established Left back and probably the only other player guaranteed a place along with Joe Hart. He is great going forward and maybe he will be a little restricted against Spain but will have to spend more time defending.

Lescott and Cahill: Both have great aerial ability and a fair deal of pace but both have been late developers. Both have turned into great centre backs and along with the defensive mid-fielders I believe they can keep out Spain with their tackling.

Barry, Parker and Milner: All can keep the ball and play attacking football but they will defend with maybe Milner the exception but hopefully he will go back and help out. There is no point sitting back against a team that will always keep the ball until the end as they WILL score. So when you get the ball you will need to keep it or maybe create a counter attacking opportunity and all three are more then capable of doing this as they are also great tacklers.

Adam Johnson, Theo walcott, Gabby Agbonlahor: Straight away you can see here that its about pace; but don't their technical abiltiy out of the equation as they are all great finishers and can cross the ball. When counter attacking in space the midfield need fast forwards and wingers and these three are probably 3 of the fastest in football. Agobonlahor's recent form has been great and he is one of the few England players that can create something out of nothing. One of Spain's vunerablites is their left back which I feel is Walcott's pace can punish when going forward.

Deep Defensive Line: Having a deep defence line against a team of Spain's quality is obvious as they will probably be restricted to having long shots on many occasions.

Walcott, Milner Parker: all will play in a straight diagonal line which leads to Ashley Cole which hopefully England will be able to take advantage of that situation. If the line is exploited Barry Is their to cover and also maybe join.

What do you think about my squad + tactics ?​

There are lots of things I disagree with here, but here's two: Joleon 'So average it hurts' Lescott and Gary 'at the heart of the worst defence in the Prem' Cahill at CB? Major pass on that one. Also, I just cannot fathom how playing Gareth Barry against Spain would work in any way.

Think Parker could be the ideal man to play against Spain in MF, but with who? Wilshere's injured, Lampard's better pushed further forward, Milner's better wide, etc... Unless we're planning on playing 4-2-3-1 with Lampard ahead of two natural DMs. I daren't consider the idea that we might play 4-4-2.

Think Parker could be the ideal man to play against Spain in MF, but with who? Wilshere's injured, Lampard's better pushed further forward, Milner's better wide, etc... Unless we're planning on playing 4-2-3-1 with Lampard ahead of two natural DMs. I daren't consider the idea that we might play 4-4-2.

Milner's better wide? On what basis? In his career so far, he's had one standout season: the one he played in central midfield.

To quote from the other thread:

How I want us to set out against Spain:

ingurland.png

Unorthodox, I know, but let me explain.

Hart is an auto-pick. Baines is in better form than Cole, and I'd say he's now a better player than him, so he's got my pick at left-back. Walker is the best of a poor bunch at right-back. Jagielka gets the nod ahead of Gary Cahill, as Cahill has been in pretty shocking form recently, and Jones is one for the future and thus should get an opportunity in friendlies.

Parker reprises his holding role he's been filling to such acclaim with Spurs, whilst Jack Rodwell gets an opportunity to show his worth in an energetic box-to-box role that allows us to switch from a 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 at will. Finally, perhaps my oddest pick of the bunch, but James Milner gives us someone who can drive from deep and create, but also someone who can harry and press for 90 minutes.

We pick an energetic and fluid front three, and go from there. The whole focus of the formation is to shut down Spain and counterattack through the wings, where they are at their most vulnerable. Picking a slightly defensive but extremely hard-working midfield would allow us to battle for possession throughout the game in a way Spain are unused to from opposition teams, and the pace of Agbonlahor and Welbeck would be invaluable in exploiting Spain's biggest weakness.

I don't expect this formation, but it would be nice.

England 4-2 Spain: Lampard, Sturridge, A. Cole, Terry, Mata, Torres ;)

Spain have selected their best squad and England are missing lot of their starters. Not that it really matters as Spain's second string is better than England. It would be really interesting to see how Capello copes up with loss of so many players. Xavi, Iniesta, Biscuits forming triangles around Barry and Parker, it would be horrible to watch for English fans.

Better to play with Milner in the center as England can do well with his and Parker's work rate. Also will be a good test for Rodwell if he starts.

I dont see Jones playing as CB against Spain. Maybe Lescott and Cahill with Jones and Baines/Cole as FBs.

GC - Based on his excellent performances from RW for City this season; particularly against Utd. I'm not saying he's poor in the centre by any means, just that I feel he's better wide.

GC - Based on his excellent performances from RW for City this season; particularly against Utd. I'm not saying he's poor in the centre by any means, just that I feel he's better wide.

His best peformances over his career have overwhelming been from the middle of the pitch. Thats and area where we will need him on saturday

Giggs was awesome against West Ham last season at left back. Giggs is blates a left wing back.

:)