Stuartsays

Reaction score
England appoint Hughes as manager

View attachment 110858

Stuart Hughes has been appointed as the New England coach in succession to Gareth Southgate.

The announcement was made at the English FA's headquarters this morning.

in a statement to the press, the FA's chief executive commented that Hughes was the unanimous choice of the FA's selection committee and they fully believed he would be capable of guiding the team successfully to the upcoming World Cup.

Stuart Hughes is reported to be earning £79,000 per week.

Hughes has no previous managerial experience to call upon but, having taken on the job, he will have to prove himself as quickly as possible.

The first match of Hughes's England tenure will be the home friendly against Finland on Wednesday 31st August 2016, ahead of a home World Cup Qualifier against Lithuania on Sunday 4th September.

England fans have taken to Social Media in confusion and bewilderment. Who? they are all asking. Never heard of him.

After the disastrous appointment of Sam Allardyce, and the subsequent sacking of Gareth Southgate, the FA appear to have finally lost the plot with this latest appointment.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I still can't believe my good fortune at being appointed the England manager. I'm grinning like the Cheshire Cat and am waiting for the FA to ring and inform me that they've made a mistake.

I'd only gone to St. George's Park to watch Derby County's U23 team play. I'd needed the toilet and wandered inside the main building trying to find one. Somehow I stumbled into a large office with four old guys in suits sitting around an oversized table. They asked me what I thought had gone wrong for England in the European Championships and I told them - boy, did I tell them.

They asked me a few more questions and then, before I knew what had happened, they'd offered me the England manager's job.

I laughed long and hard, believing them to be joking, but they showed me their England FA identification passes.

"But isn't Gareth Southgate the England manager?" I asked.

"Not any more," all four of them said in unison.

So here I am in my new office at St. George's Park, Burton-on-Trent, on a £79,000 per week contract.

I'm going to wake up soon and realise this is all a dream.

Last edited:
English FA indicate their expectations

I haven't woken up yet so maybe I really am the England manager.

In the last half hour I've had three visitors to my office at St. George's Park. They were - hang on a minute while I check my notebook for their details - FA ChIef Executive Martin Glenn, FA Director of Elite Development Dan Ashworth, and FA Vice-Chairman David Gill.

All three of them visited independently but essentially said the same thing. Each of them welcomed me to my new role as England manager and wished me every success.

Apparently the FA's minimum expectation is that England qualify from the Group Stage of the World Cup Qualifiers.

I guess either Martin, Dan, or David is my boss but, to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not entirely sure if that's correct and, if it is, I have no idea which one of them actually is my boss.

Hang on another minute while I check Google... we're in Group 6 with Lithuania, Malta, Scotland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

It can't be that difficult to qualify from that group, can it?

England injury update

Well I eventually worked out how to connect the antiquated laptop the FA have given me and get online. I checked my email and it looks like I have some staff.

There was an email from Derek Wright, my physio, saying that Stoke City's Jack Butland is the only injury concern. Poor Jack has a broken ankle and will be out for a number of months yet. Other than that, Derek tells me the England squad I've inherited is close to a clean bill of health.

England staff

It took a while but I think I'm beginning to get my head around the FA's computer records. It looks like the rest of my staff are as follows:

* Steve Holland - Assistant Manager
* Martyn Margetson - Goalkeeping Coach
* Mark Robson - Coach
* Chris Neville - Fitness Coach

And that's it. Derek, the kind physio who emailed me the injury update, is listed as the U21 physio. I don't appear to have a first team physio so maybe I need to promote him or appoint one.

There's other U21 and U19 staff listed but I'm not too worried about them as I doubt I'll be in the job long enough to worry about promoting U21 or U19 players to the first team. I'm a Derby County season ticket holder so I know all about Will Hughes and I watch plenty of live Premiership games on Sky and the Match of the Day highlights package on BBC.

Hang on a minute, what's this 'Place Advert' button?

Oops, it looks like I've placed an advert for an England first team physio and a coach.

Press Conference

It appears the national press can't venture north of London so the FA's Chief Executive, Martin Glenn, has invited me down to Wembley for my first Press Conference. That's a shame because St. George's Park is only a 40-minute commute from where I live.

It's beginning to look like Martin is my boss as he rings me quite regularly for a chat. I haven't heard from Dan or David since they welcomed me and wished me luck.

I've been to Wembley a few times but only to watch England or Derby County play. Inside the stadium, not in the stands, but actually inside the stadium is very, very impressive and the cucumber sandwiches were delicious.

I'll be honest, I was rather nervous as I followed Martin up to the long table in front of the assembled press. And, would you believe it, Dan and David are joining us too. I wondered when I'd see them again.

Oliver Scweizer (ESPN): There is a lot of pressure on national managers to hit the ground running and produce results from the off. Are you confident that you will be able to get a good start as the manager of England.

I hesitated before answering, still shocked the first question had come from an American

Me: I have confidence that we can hit the ground running.

Carl Fletcher (Guardian): The pressures of managing at International level are enormous and this is reflected by the huge media interest that surrounds both team and manager. That's a lot of pressure to handle, are you up to it.

Thinks: For £79,000 a week I think I can give it a shot!

Me: I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't have complete confidence in my ability to handle the pressures.

David Hull (BBC Radio 5 Live): While some managers are famous for their hands-on approach, others maintain a more reserved manner with their players. How do you see your management style?

Me: I want every player to know that they can come to me with anything.

Tony Finch (Sunday People): In the modern era players are put under greater demands by the sheer number of matches they play for their clubs. Will you be looking to develop a positive relationship with other managers in order to find ways to prevent players 'burning out' when on International duty?

Thinks: Wow! that's a good question.

Me: Any manager worth their salt these days has to take this into account and I'll be doing everything possible to ensure my players feel fresh and able to play.

Tony Finch (Sunday People): Gary Cahill is widely regarded to be key to any future success that the English national team may have. With that in mind, do you intend to build your England team around Cahill's talents and are you looking for ways to bring the best out of him?

Thinks: Cahill? Chelsea? When were Chelsea last live on Sky and did I watch it? Did Cahill have a good game? I hardly see him on the Match of the Day highlights because Chelsea are always attacking.

Me: Gary is a wonderful talent and of course, any manager lucky enough to work with him would do everything in their power to maximise his effectiveness.

Tony Finch (Sunday People): Will you be looking to change the captain or allow Wayne Rooney to continue?

Thinks: How come Tony gets to ask so many questions? And I haven't even thought about this yet. Wayne is getting on a bit now and I might not be able to fit him into the starting-11 but he has been a great servant to England. Oh, I don't know, and even if I do decide to change the skipper Wayne deserves to hear that from me.

Me: I have total faith in Wayne and look forward to working closely with him.

Press Conference ends.

I think that went well. I think I was pretty calm throughout.

Last edited:
Eranio declines England role

On the journey back to Derbyshire from Wembley, I began to feel some of that pressure I'd played down at the Press Conference. It dawned on me that actually this was a big job and I still couldn't understand why those four old guys in suits had offered it me.

Then I realised I actually knew an International footballer... well I'd spoken to one any way. I once wished Stefano Eranio good luck outside Pride Park Stadium ahead of a Derby County Premier League match in the Jim Smith era. I wondered if he'd remember me.

Did you know I've got a personal assistant? His name is Ellis Clarke. I know, two surnames, I thought that...but he's a nice man and a great help. I don't think I would've got the laptop the FA gave me working without his help. So I asked Ellis to get me Stefano's number.

It turned out Stefano didn't remember me after all. So I cut to the chase and he wasn't interested in joining my England backroom team. He did say that if I was ever manager of Italy to give him another call.

Grazie, Stefano. Ciaio!

Good response to England Physio advert

Turns out that 'Place Advert' button worked. My PA, Ellis, informs me no fewer than eight people have applied for the England physio job:

* Grant Downie - Man City U23s Sports Scientist
* Mark Sertori - Man City physio
* Mark Taylor - Sunderland physio
* Andy Rolls - Arsenal physio
* Ben Ashworth - Arsenal physio
* Peter Brand - Sunderland physio
* Phil Bolland - Liverpool U18s physio
* Richard Goddard - Arsenal U18s physio

I'm not in any rush as our first match isn't for another month. I tell Ellis to acknowledge the applications and keep the advert running.

Ellis then hands me a sheet of paper and tells me, "Here's some numbers you may be interested in."

Hughes finding it tough recruiting backroom staff

I looked at the list of phone numbers my PA, Ellis, had provided me and smiled. The mistake I'd made with Stefano was thinking a former Italian international would want to work for England. But the names on this list had all played for England. Surely they'd be as patriotic as me and jump at the chance to join the England backroom team.

Unfortunately the smile quickly disappeared from my face as I worked my way through the list.

Gareth Southgate declines England role - I felt guilty at taking Gareth's job and thought I'd offer him an olive branch and a pizza. Gareth was very polite and professional and politely told me where to stuff my offer.

Stuart Pearce declines England role - despite being a Nottingham Forest legend, I loved Psycho as an England player and I'd never seen a more passionate player wearing the three lions. Pearce was capped 78 times for England but, unfortunately, he'd just taken the Port Vale manager's job and had a contract to honour.

Terry Butcher declines England role - the image of Terry Butcher in an England shirt, his head swathed in a once white bandage stained red with his own blood, was an iconic image. Unlike Pearce, Butcher was unemployed, but he rejected my offer.

Frank Lampard declines England role
- Frank Lampard said he was honoured but was currently happy playing for NYCFC.

Steven Gerrad declines England role - Steven Gerrard, like Frank, was honoured but happy playing for LA Galaxy in the MLS.

There was only one more name on Ellis's list....

Last edited:
Beardsley accepts England role

Peter Beardsley has accepted England manager Stuart Hughes's offer of the role of England coach.

Newcastle United icon Peter Beardsley was born in Newcastle on 18th January 1961. In a playing career which spanned 20 years from 1979 to 1999, Beardsley made 731 appearances and scored 236 goals. After making his England debut against Egypt in January 1986, he went on to make 59 appearances and score 9 goals for his country.

Beardley is no stranger to England, having served as assistant manager for The Three Lions between July 1999 and June 2000. Beardsley enjoyed a playing career with Manchester City, Liverpool, Newcastle United and numerous other teams before non-playing spells with Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, and England.

The appointment demonstrates Hughes's desire to add International experience within the national set-up.

[Having managed Newcastle United on previous versions of FM I'm thrilled to be able to welcome Peter Beardsley to the England backroom staff].

Last edited:
Good response to England Coach advert

Eight people have responded to my advert for a new England Coach - Boro Primorac (Arsenal coach), Brian Eastick (Unemployed coach), Tony Whelan (Man Utd U18s coach), Steve Gattting (Arsenal U23s manager), John Cooke (Man Utd U18s coach), Neil Critchley (Liverpool U18s manager), Pepijn Lijnders (Liverpool coach) and Colin Little (Man Utd U18s coach).

Hmmmmn, now I've got Peter on board I was in no rush to make a decision. I told Ellis to keep the advert running and asked him for some more phone numbers.

Rio Ferdinand accepts England role

Rio Ferdinand has accepted England's offer of the role of coach.

West Ham United and Manchester United icon Rio Ferdinand was born in London on 7th November 1978. In a playing career which spanned 20 years from 1995 to 2015, Ferdinand made 514 appearances and scored 11 goals. Ferdinand made his England debut against Cameroon in November 1997 and he went on to make 81 appearances and score 3 goals for his country.

Ferdinand has no previous backroom experience.

The appointment shows Hughes's continued desire to surround himself with international experience.

[Rightly or wrongly I think I can rely on the club coaches of the England players to do the bulk of the coaching as my staff and I will have very little time with the players when they're on International duty. For me, it's more important I have people like Peter Beardsley and Rio Ferdinand around the players to pass on the benefit of their International experience with England].

Milner ends international career

England's James Milner has announced his retirement from international football in order to prolong his Liverpool career..

The 30-year old Liverpool player, who made his debut for England against Holland in August 2009, revealed that it had been a difficult decision but he felt it was the right one.

Milner made 61 appearances for England over the course of his international career, scoring one goal.

I gave James a call and we had a good chat, but I couldn't persuade him to reconsider his decision.

England backroom staff in place

I've asked my PA, Ellis, to stop the advert for England coach. Three more people have applied - Michael Beale (Liverpool U23s manager), Neil Banfield (Arsenal coach), and Joe Edwards (Chelsea U23 coach) - making ten applicants in total.

With Peter and Rio now appointed, I don't think we need another coach.

Good response to England Physio advert

Another five physios have applied - Paul Squires (Liverpool U23), Danny Murphy (Tottenham), Ian Irving (Everton), Julian Redhead (Chelsea U18s) and Tom Hughes (Man Utd U23) - making ten in total.

After conducting interviews, I've decided to offer the job to Arsenal physio Andy Rolls...and I'm pleased to report he's accepted.

England backroom team confirmed

My backroom team now looks like this:

* Steve Holland - assistant manager
* Peter Beardsley - coach
* Rio Ferdinand - coach
* Mark Robson - coach
* Martyn Margetson - goalkeeping coach
* Chris Neville - fitness coach
* Andy Rolls - physio

I'm thrilled with the additions of Peter, Rio and Andy, but have some doubts over some of the staff I inherited. But I believe in giving everybody a chance so we'll see how we get on in our first few matches and I'll reassess things in time should I need to.

Kane injury blow for Tottenham

Tottenham striker Harry Kane suffered a hip injury during training and is expected to be sidelined for up to three months.

He played in Tottenham's opening game of the English Premier League season, scoring one goal with a match rating of 7.80.

I rang Harry to wish him well and he informed me he'd been told he'd be out for around two months.

At least two months is better than three...

England drop to 13th in the world rankings

I haven't managed England in a match yet but we've dropped one place to 13th in the World Rankings. Argentina are 1st and Wales are ahead of us in 11th.

Our upcoming opponents are ranked 65th (Finland) and 124th (Lithuania) but like they say there's no easy games in International football - I've been practicing my cliches ahead of the upcoming press conferences.

England's approaching fixtures
* Wednesday 31 August 2016 - H Finland friendly
* Sunday 4 September 2016. - H Lithuania WCQ Group 6

England injury update
* Theo Walcott - virus, out for about one day
* Harry Kane - hip, out for 2-3 months
* Danny Wellbeck - damaged knee cartilage, our for 4-5 months
* Jack Butland - broken ankle, out for 6-8 months

Hughes announces England squad

Danny Rose is the highest profile player to have been excluded from Stuart Hughes's first England squad

Southampton youngster Nathan Redmond could be in line to make his first appearance for England after being called up to the England squad.

There are otherwise no real surprises and the English fans are sure to be excited at the prospect of International football.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Leighton Baines, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill.

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Ross Barkley.

Attackers: Raheem Sterling, Nathan Redmond, Daniel Sturridge, Wayne Rooney, Jamie Vardy, Theo Walcott, Marcus Rashford.

Hughes said, "We're only two matches into the Premier League season so it's too early to assess form really. I will look at the form of the players as the season progresses but for now I'm happy to give the players who've played for England most recently an opportunity to show what they can do. Nathan Redmond has impressed my assistant Steve Holland and myself so we thought we'd get him involved and see what he can do at close quarters."

Henderson named England captain

At a news conference today, England boss Stuart Hughes announced he had decided to make Jordan Henderson the England captain, replacing Wayne Rooney, whilst Gary Cahill remains vice-captain.

Hughes's decision to replace Rooney as captain sends out a strong signal that things will be different under the new England management.

So far the public's reaction has been positive with many believing Henderson to be a good choice.

England tactics

I'll be honest, removing Wayne Rooney as captain was a tough decision but, I believe, it was the logical decision. In picking my first England squad I started with the formation I want to play and picked two players for each position, then selected a third goalkeeper. During that exercise, it soon became apparent that Rooney was going to struggle to make the starting lineup on a regular basis so the decision to replace him was, in the end, relatively easy.

My vice-captain Gary Cahill may also struggle to hold down a regular starting place but, at least for the time being, Cahill remains vice-captain to add an element of stability.

Formation

I intend to play a 4-1-2-3 system and see how we get on - it's served me well for club football in other FM saves so we'll see how well it does in International football.

GK - De

RB - Su
CB - De
CB - De
LB - Su

DM - De

CM - At
CM - At

RW - At
LW - At

DLF - At

Tactics

Attacking - Flexible - Instructions: Close down more, Exploit left flank, Exploit right flank, Retain possession, Hit early crosses.

Last edited:
England announce starting lineup

Stuart Hughes has picked his starting lineup for the friendly match at home to Finland.

Joe Hart - Nathaniel Clyne, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Leighton Baines - Eric Dier - Jordan Henderson, Dele Alli - Adam Lallana, Daniel Sturridge, Raheem Sterling.

Given the injuries we've got, this looks like my strongest lineup at the moment. I intend to give the players plenty of playing time in this friendly to give them chance to gain some form of understanding. If things go well, this'll probably be the team that starts against Lithuania in our first World Cup Qualifier.

As I said earlier, I will take form into consideration as the season progresses but, for these two games, these are the 11 players I think can do a job for us.

Last edited:
England (0) 2-0 (0) Finland
Sturridge (81)
Alli (89)

Shots: England 18, Finland 7
On target: England 11, Finland 2
Possession: England 49%, Finland 51%
Fouls: England 20, Finland 6

Confident performance from England

An efficient performance by England's players saw them confidently overcome a lacklustre Finland 2-0 at Wembley.

With the game nearing an end, it was Daniel Sturridge who scored a placed shot from long range to give England the lead on 81 minutes.

The England fans might have been forgiven for thinking that would have been that but the scoring wasn't over.

Wonderkid Delle Ali finally rounded off England's victory on 89 minutes with a powerful effort.

Hart [6.9], Clyne [6.8] (Walker [6.8], 71), Smalling [6.9], Stones [7.4], Baines [6.7] (Shaw [6.8], 71), Dier [6.9] (Vardy [6.8], 71), Henderson [6.8], Alli [7.6], Lallana [6.4] (Rashford [6.7], 57), Sterling [6.7], Sturridge [8.7].