WadeIOW

Reaction score
Hi guys, thought I'd have a go at recreating England's 1966 world cup final tactics.

I will try to keel the text to a minimum and put up screen shots instead.

I am a newbie this so advice is welcome :)

So, what do I know about the tactic??

I know Alf Ramsey deviated from his preferred 433 for the final to allow Charlton more freedom to roam, a role in which he flourished(AMs)
, and kept stiles deep to break a few ankles should they need it.(BWMd)

I also read somewhere that Ball and Peters drifted in from wide positions. (WPa/s)

The legend Bobby Moore was known for his all round defending and passing (BPDs)

Jack Charlton was known as a non to skilled defender but good at clearing the ball (LDd)

Sir Geoff Hurst was preferred to Greaves for his all round game, not his ability in front of goal (CFs) kind of ironic

I think these are the most important roles. Any additional info from you guys is more than welcome.

so this is what I have

GK/d - pass t shorter, fewer risky passes, distribute to BPD
WBs - Tackle harder, mark tighter, cross from deep
BPDs - close down less, mark tighter (contradicts BPD I know but the thinking is he keeps his play making ability)
CDd - Close down more
BWMd - shoot less, mark tight, pass short (Stiles was known for his super tough tackling, although, in the final he nearly set up a few goals. Hence BWMd instead of Ad)
WPa - get further forward, close down much more, tackle harder (I think these three attributes reflect Ball and Peters reputations for work rate and drive)
AMs - Dribble more, get further forward, tackle harder, roam from position, direct passing, close down much more (again, Charltons work rate and his drive up and down the field is hard to copy in FM. A box to box forward would be more suited but unfortunately unavailable)
Pa - mark tighter, pass it shorter, move in to channels, close down much more ( set as poacher as Hut was meant to be the main goal scoring threat)
CFs - no PI's here as Hurst was picked over Greaves for his all round ability (which was a master stroke as I turned out!)

Last edited:
no, only because I couldn't find anything info. would be happy to post the tactic link but don't know how! :-(

can somebody tell me how to make a link for the tactic?? thanks

Second game, possession seems to an issue, so does the number of shots the opposition get off