English grammar

SS19

Reaction score
I'm from Finland so English isn't my mother language (correct term?). I do a school project about tactics in football in English and I faced one problem when doing it.

When talking about a team doing something, should it be "team plays" or "team play"? I couldn't find any good conversations about this from Google, but I think that the latter one is correct. When you convert "team" (which could be replaced by Napoli, Milan, Leverkusen etc.) to pronoun it would be team "they play", not "it plays". Am I correct?

In which way do you mean pal?

Write out your sentence and i'll advise you of the correct term :)

It is "they play", yes.

Not sure what you mean by "team play".. It sounds like the second one would be right. Use it in a sentence for us?

For example "Napoli attack very quickly", so should it be attack or attacks?

Yes, I'm confused too. Dunno if club ( Napoli i.e) is plural or singular. If its singular, then it's attacks. If its plural then attack.

Any examples where it wouldn't be that way?

It would normally be "Napoli attack very quickly", but it could be "The Napoli attacks came very quickly" for example. 'Attack' is used in the present tense, 'attacks' in the past.

It would normally be "Napoli attack very quickly", but it could be "The Napoli attacks came very quickly" for example. 'Attack' is used in the present tense, 'attacks' in the past.

Well, first is a verb and second is a noun...

this shows just how retarded the English language truly is :) good luck to anyone trying to learn it haha

It's "Napoli attack very quickly" simply because when we refer to Napoli we're talking about the team as a whole, making it plural.. to say "Napoli attacks very quickly" implies Napoli is just one person.