Kris

Reaction score
Hello Readers,

I have decided once again to attempt to bring to you, an exciting and enjoyable FM story, which once again takes me to different parts of the football world.

I can only apologize for the terrible title; they are not my strong point. Hopefully the writing and storytelling will prevail.

As always I accept all forms of constructive criticism, spelling and grammatical errors too. It’s the only way to learn and improve, so please speak up.

Please note that although most characters in the story are based on real people. Their actions are based on fiction and events that occur in the game.

So, here we go again!

* * *​

Prologue​

Why would a 50 year old ex pro, now working as A youth group co-ordinator, up sticks, leaving his family, friends & loved one’s to enter the unknown world of football management…in another country?

I am about to find out.

My name is Enrique Rivers, I am 50 years old and I am from San Ramon, Costa Rica.

* * *​

My playing career took off at the age of seventeen when C.D Saprissa scouts spotted my ability with a ball at my feet and my composure in front of goal whilst playing for San Ramon S.C in a national youth semi final against San Jose state. A fortnight later, I packed my small suitcase with what little possessions I owned and set off for the capital city of San Jose.

I went on to spend almost all of my playing career with Saprissa,12 years to be exact, winning the Primera División on five occasions and the CONCACAF Champions Cup twice. I also went onto play for the national side on 47 occasions, scoring 12 goals. The most notable of these against Italy at the 1984 Olympic games in L.A,USA. The result shocked the world as at the time, Italy were the World champions.

After twelve years at Saprissa I decided that I needed a change,I was getting old and had yet to experience life in another country or state for that matter!. I spent a year in the M.L.S with Seattle Sounders before finishing my career in Brazil with Caxias in the Brazilian third division. Whilst in Brazil, I weighed up my options for when I retired. I spent three years in Brazil, learning English, Portuguese & gained my coaching qualifications along the way, before retiring.

I returned home to Costa Rica, to San Jose and to Saprissa once more, taking on the role of Youth Ambassador.

I wanted to give young footballers the opportunities that I was fortunate enough to have.

After a decade of helping young footballers gain their dreams, I still had one of my own, football management. After lengthy talks with my family and the club, I decided to step down from my role and pursue my dream before it was too late.

Finally, 18 months on, my chance is here.

I'm back in southern Brazil, the great state of Rio Grande. I have returned to Sociedade Esportiva e Recreative Caxias Do Sul.

Let’s get started.

* * *​

Just who are Sociedade Esportiva e Recreative Caxias Do Sul?

It’s been a decade since I was last in Caxius Du Sol. The city has grown in size and in stature over the years. Recognized as an Entrepreneurial-Exporting Hub in the country, the city has a thriving economy & the per capita income in Caxias do Sul is one of the highest in Brazil.

Like my hairline however, the football club have been in decline.

I arrived in Brazil with the aim to take the side to the very top of the country. The club were recently promoted to Campeonato Brasileiro Série A and at the time, the ambition was there for all to see.

Long have the club been refered as ‘O gigante adormecido’ – The sleeping Giant, Living in the shadow of Gremio and International, the club boast a moderate but passionate fan base. I aim to bring back those who would rather watch top flight football with Gremio.

* * *​

The people at Caxius were happy to accept me as a stabilizing influence on a young forward line for the last three years of my career and I feel I led their strikers by example and helped their young players grow. It was that, which lead me back to Saprissa as a Youth Ambassador.

So when I looked to get into the management game it was with the full blessing of my employer, who sent me on my way with their best wishes and recommendations – and that certainly didn’t hurt as I tried to get my foot in the door.

It was Caxius who gave me that chance and I’m grateful for it. The club is quite hungry for success and suffered the dishonour – and I choose that word quite carefully – of two relegations in the turn of the century. Caxius plummeted from Campeonato Brasileiro Série A to Serie B to Série C, which it now lingers. It’s a large demise for a club who were crowned Campeonato Gaúcho ‘State champions’ just eleven years ago.

The club’s stadium, Estadio Centenario was built in 1976. The stadium was named after Francisco Stédile, who was Caxias' president during its construction. The stadium is nicknamed Centenário because it honours the centennial anniversary of the Italian colonization of Rio Grande do Sul.

Seating 30,802 spectators, the stadium contains one main stand which towers high above the rest of the ground, similar to English side Newcastle’s St James Park but on a much smaller scale. The stadium's attendance record currently stands at 28,500 people, set on September 15, 1976 when Caxias and Palmeiras drew 0-0. I intend to equal or better this record.

The hard work starts here.

* * *​

Last edited:
Caxias? My team in Brazil has always been Gremio! Should be very interesting, the stories with lower league teams are much more entertaining to follow. Good start, subsribed :)

Interesting choice. LLM is always much more interesting and I'm sure your stadium will help you out in the long run

What do you mean you're out of Churrasco?

# # #​

It’s been almost a week since I was unveiled as the new manager of Caxias & I’m still trying to find my feet. The city has grown a great deal in the last decade, the people are better off, most have well paying jobs and the city centre is awash with music, colour, eccentric stall workers & entertainers.

Unfortunately I still can’t get to grips with the latest fashion trends. The traditional clothing of bombachas, boots and a large hat are now only worn by the’ cultural zealots’ who try to stick to the traditional values and culture in the city.

However my favorite meal of Churrasco, washed down with a chimarrão still reigns supreme. It was a tad upsetting to find out that my favorite Churrascaria had long since closed down. Who’d have thought it would be so difficult to find a good steak house in a city this big?

The young children no longer play on the streets with stones or homemade football’s. Now they have proper parks & wear strips from clubs in Europe like Barcelona, Manchester United and Ac Milan.

# # #​

After finishing my meal, I treated myself to a beer, taking in the scenery of the busy city outside before finally looking at the table, now covered in notes, player statistics, training schedules, player salary summaries and a mountain of memo’s from agents offering the services of the next Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Rivaldo and even one or two Pele’s, who have somehow gone under the radar of the bigger sides in the country.

Judging players potential ability has always been my forte, I have made a living out of doing just that for the best part of ten years now, so my initial analysis is that the club lack any real width, which isn’t surprising in Brazil. If we are to play without wingers then I want to have a good set of full backs who have the stamina and the work rate to initiate attacking moves without losing focus, concentration and there positioning. The club simply doesn’t have this & in my meeting with the board tomorrow, I will outline just this.

I am not asking the chairman to stretch purse strings. I was told before I took the job that money was tight and I accept that. The team must look to young, local boys who have the drive to push on and make a career for themselves. The average age of the squad is 32; this of course, needs to be lowered soon.

# # #​

I also have two other very important meetings to attend over the next few days. One is with a local tailor, whom I am having stitch the club crest onto my suit blazer. I have also had a custom tie made with the club colours. I believe it is important to reach out to the fans and show I care about the club. This is coming out my own pocket, Caxias cannot afford these extremities.

The second and perhaps most important, is with a language expert. My Portuguese was poor when I was first here and as a man grows older, he tends to forget such things. I really want to address the team with confidence and authority when I speak with them. I cannot do this if I stutter or stop to think of the word I need to say.

So as they say, Até a próxima vez ...

Last edited:
Great read, awful title. Should have gone with 'Samba to the Stars' or something. Albeit, will be following :)

Thanks. I've been a bit busy with Modern Warfare & a challenge with Redders but i'll get back on track.

Like this Kris, it's nice to have a different spin on things like stories. :)

Not been on here for ages, but got pretty bored on a Thursday night and thought I'd see if the story section was up to much this year.

Great read so far, although I guess I should have expected that from your previous efforts! I like the word choice and the obvious detail and thought put into each update, especially the way you've researched the city, team, and culture. One of the only readable ones on the site, seeing as FBP hasn't given it a shot yet. Definitely will continue reading if the updates keep coming and I'm still around.

In terms of criticism, the only things I can think of are a few grammatical errors. "One's" and "Pele's" shouldn't have apostrophes in the context you've used the words. And it'd look better using "and" instead of "&" in my opinion. Apart from that, faultless.

Not been on here for ages, but got pretty bored on a Thursday night and thought I'd see if the story section was up to much this year.

Great read so far, although I guess I should have expected that from your previous efforts! I like the word choice and the obvious detail and thought put into each update, especially the way you've researched the city, team, and culture. One of the only readable ones on the site, seeing as FBP hasn't given it a shot yet. Definitely will continue reading if the updates keep coming and I'm still around.

In terms of criticism, the only things I can think of are a few grammatical errors. "One's" and "Pele's" shouldn't have apostrophes in the context you've used the words. And it'd look better using "and" instead of "&" in my opinion. Apart from that, faultless.

Good to see you around again Nixon. I appreciate the kind comments. I try to put in as much detail as possible.

Sorry about the n00by mistakes, I do it all the time.

And where are we supposed to buy 30 footballs?.

* * *​
“Well...?”

“Honestly?” The man standing alongside him, arms folded, sombre faced replied directly.

“If I asked you to humour me, would you?” Rivers smirked.

“Mid table, if we are lucky! We lack technique, composure and any real finesse. Our goalkeepers are woeful and I’m sure if I asked them all to sprint round the park, most of them would pass out.” The man replied, stone faced.

“Is that all? You really had me worried there Alfaro” Rivers laughed as he gave his number two a playful punch on the arm.

* * *​

Alfaro Oliviera is 64 years old. A former central defender, he stands at an impressive six foot three inches tall with the build of an athletic man in his twenties. For a Brazilian national, he has unusually pale skin, a full head of chalk white hair, dark bushy eyebrows, a drooping nose and firm jaw. If you didn’t know Alfaro, you’d swear he was ex military.

A mediocre playing career, Oliviera, often referred to as ‘The Albino’ (although never to his face) started at Santos as a promising teenager. Failing to make the grade, he became a bit of a journeyman, playing all over south and Central America. Alianza Lima of Peru, Colo Colo of Chile and even North East Stars of Trinidad. He finally returned to Caxias at the age of thirty three and has been here since.

When Alfaro retired and was immediately offered the role of youth coach, he spent ten years in the position, He was then offered the manager’s job after his years of loyal service. Sadly it didn’t work out and he took on the role of General Manager, after just 6 months at the helm.

When Paulo Porto was sacked at the end of last season, Oliviera was asked to take on the role of assistant manager to the inexperienced ex player Enrique Rivas.

* * *​

“weyyyyy” Rivers body jumped as the players wolf whistled and mockingly applauded after someone had blown a shot 10 yards over the crossbar and out of the training ground.

“O Jogo bonito” (The Beautiful game) Rivers smirked but Alfaro paid him no mind.

“Alright, enough! Let’s get back on with it...move” Oliviera roared.

A moment or two passed awkwardly as everyone looked around the training ground.

“Silva! Get to the shed and fetch the balls for f....” Alfaro blurted. The young full back running off before he could finish his sentence.

“Boss...the shed is empty. I think it might have been broken into” Silva hesitantly cried on his return.

One look at Oliviera was enough for Rivers to burst into a fit of laugher. Some of the players joined in the hilarity but Alfaro was not amused.

“So, where can one pick up a dozen or so footballs and some cones, Alfaro?” he mocked.

“Nowhere this far out, **** it all” ruffling his hair, Oliviera looked stressed.

“Right boys, looks like you have a day off, enjoy” The players seemed pleased.

“Right then, let’s get back to those agent DVDs...Oh and let’s have someone acquire some balls, eh?”

Wehey! Good to finally see an update ;) Love how descriptive your writing is Kris, great update

NO! Your other left!

“Yeah, you want to take a left at this next exit” Ventura commanded.

“A le…but..how…when?” Rivers hesitated, unable to find a way through the busy auto estrada traffic.

“You just have to force your way through. Edge over. Don’t worry, they will ease off.” Ventura said.

A second later, both men shrieked to the sound of a furious truck horn as it flew past them.

“FODER! Are you crazy, I swear I told you to EASE over?” he shrieked.

“Why didn’t you drive then?” Rivers returned, still panting. “It’s been years since I’ve driven here. It wasn’t this busy when I was last here.”

“Drive on these roads? You’d have to be crazy!” Ventura snapped. “Look, we are almost there. Try not to get us killed” He joked but perhaps a little serious.

With only a few short weeks until the beginning of the season, Rivers and chief scout, well-the only scout! Joao Paulo Martins Venture or ‘Ace’ as Rivers had christened him, were on their way to watch Gremio under 23’s play Marila in a friendly match.

Rivers had been busy adding names to the roster ahead of the new season. Alfaro Oliviera and Enrique Rivers did not agree on many things, both however agreed that the side were weakest in defence. Traditionally Brazilians didn’t make good wingers and Caxias was no different. The plan was to play with two full backs that would look to assist the forward play and have the respective cover from the anchor man. Weeks of late nights at the offic with plenty Chimarrao & café to be had, four new faces had arrived at the club.

Pacey right full back Geronimo was the first to arrive. The twenty two year old arrives from Rio state side and local neighbours Duque De Caxias.

Thirty four year old left full back Marquinhos Caruaru was the next. The debate on the veteran’s arrival was a heated one. Alfaro went on as if he had a personal vendetta against the man. “Too old” “no pace” “can’t tackle” but Rivers ignored all of his complaints. The club lacked any real full backs and even if they just used him as cover, Rivers was sure he would make a good impact. “He can cross a ball better than anyone I have seen! That included Beckham, Xavi, Ronaldinho…anyone! We can use him” He had to stamp his authority. Spotting players potential was what got him here.

Towering centre back Hugo was next in the door. The twenty three year old arrives after his release from rivals International.

Last but not least was Kim a 24 year old full back, signed with the recommendation of Ace and Alfaro.

“So what is the name of this guy we are going to watch?” Rivers enquired.

“Mateus Magro. Only 21, great tackler and tremendous strength for a man of his age. Brave too.” Ventura spoke of him with great regard.

Around the half way mark of the first half, Rivers turned to his scout and simply said “get him”

After the game, and a lot more stress getting home, Rivers phone rang. “Answer that will you?” he asked.

“Hello, it’s Ventura here…yes…I see…I’ll tell him” He turned to his manager as he hung up on the caller.

Concerned, Rivers asked “who was it?”

“Your secretary, the state championship fixtures are in!” he hesitantly replied.

“Who?” Rivers reply was sharp

“Gremio away”

And for the second time that day, Rivers almost threw the car in front of a fast moving truck.

Last edited:
Good start takes some time to read every update but it is worth the read tittle is a bit boring but the effort in the updates makes up for it keep up the good work kris

Good start takes some time to read every update but it is worth the read tittle is a bit boring but the effort in the updates makes up for it keep up the good work kris

Thank you. Yeah I know, the title makes me sick. I am quite happy with my chapter titles but the actual story title is horrible.

Idea's on a postcard please :)