Scoopz

Reaction score
First of all,

Hello! First time on FM Base, and my first FM game is FM16. I'm starting to come to grips with it, but I've still got a long way to go.

I've spent many many many saves testing, examining, and playing the Wolverhampton Wanderers--The Wolves, for those not inclined to take interest in Championship sides--and now, after "creating a new club" naming it FC Avon, The Poets (hur hur Shakespearan football) have made it the EPL and finished their first season with flying colors. They finished 10th their first season up.

But now, after reexamining my players and their ability, along with the amount of money that I've invested in the transfer market, I'm not sure what I can do better, and I'm here to ask about what comes next.

So, mostly I'm gonna follow the format in the 'Looking for tactical help/advice?' thread.

--- Pertinent Non-Tactic Info ---

Team: FC Avon (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC) -- also floated on the stock market after a takeover early first EPL season. Club Worth: ~403m (USD)

League: EPL

Predicted Finish: 14th. Current Position: 11th. Last Finish: 10th.

Transfer Budget: ~43m (USD) Current Payroll: ~80m (USD) Open Payroll: ~16.5m (USD)

Personal Player analysis:

Key-Players:

Adalberto Penarando -- the man, the myth, the legend. 40 goals in 80 games for The Poets. He's amazing. Carrying the team frankly, but often not enough. 20

View attachment 117992

Jordan Graham: Wolves youth kid. Absolutely world class dribbler--If I had a nickel for every time he's made entire defensive lines look like idiots, I'd be rich. Unfortunately, can't finish at all--If I had a nickel for every time he's blasted it by the post at close range, I'd be twice as rich. Considering selling him. 22

EDIT: He HAS scored a lot, but if you could just watch him dribble into the box again and again you would understand my rage. Training him to place his shots has helped a fair bit though.

View attachment 117991

Andre Ayew: A better, if slightly slower, Jordan Graham. At 27 years of age, he's in his prime.

View attachment 117990

Wellington Silva: Not quite as good as the other three, but acquired on free transfer and a fantastic dribbler. 24

View attachment 117989

* Combined, these four players are currently worth over ~107m (USD)

Important/First Team Players:

Kristoffer Olsson: Every FM16 player who's had to acquire some new talent on a budget knows about Olsson, the Danish Wonderkid is a consistent performer. He's beginning to be out-skilled by the rest of the team though. 22

View attachment 117988

Emerson Hyndman: Bought as an eventual replacement for Olsson, ended up playing next to him and is just as consistent in his performances, AND has potential to reach Penaranda levels of awesome. Love this kid. USA, USA, USA!!! 21

View attachment 117987

Andre Martins: Acquired on free transfer, same skill/issues as Olsson, older and maxed out potential. 27

Lucas Silva: My current Defensive Midfielder, all around solid really. Fairly consistent. Replaced Jordan Cousins--who's still on my bench. 24

View attachment 117986

Jordan Cousins: Less potential than Silva, still fantastic. He's managed to hang around as the team I expected to purchase him never did. 23

Carlos Kameni: Replaced Matthew Ryan (at a profit). Getting older (33), but still ~3 seasons left in him I think. plays very well despite his lowish 6.82 avg rating. Goals scored usually aren't his fault.

View attachment 117985

Emmanual Mas/Michael Keane/Kamil Glik: 3/4ths of my back line. 28/24/29 respectively. Jekyll and Hyde performances--absolutely outclassed by the better EPL teams. I hate them so much, but I can't attract better defenders.

View attachment 117984View attachment 117983View attachment 117982

Dominic Iorfa: Another Wolves player who's managed to stick around. Fantastic Right Back, not in great form, but usually puts in a at least a solid performance. 22

View attachment 117981

Shane Duffy: Rotation Centre Back. Another Jekyll and Hyde performer, some games unbeatable other games does absolutely nothing. 25

Supersubs:

Joe Mason: Old Wolves player. Still manages to score now and again. Comes on when Penaranda needs a replacement at striker. 26

Rajiv Van La Parra: Old Wolves player. Same boat as Mason, still manages to play well on the right. Super-sub. 26

Kortney Hause: Rotation CB. Usually pretty solid. Still not up to snuff for EPL. 22

Hot Prospects & Players on their way out:

Duje Caleta-Car: Young Centre Back I purchased on the cheap, about as good as my worst rotation CB, fantastic potential. 21

Mitchell Beeney: Okay. With okay potential. My perpetual backup goalie. 22

Conor Coady: Wolves player, featured prominently in the lineup till Hyndman and Martins showed up. On his way out. Occasional sub. 24

Danny Batth: The "Captain". Complains a lot about not getting played, but he's not quality (Same situation with many old Wolves players.) On his way out. Occasional sub. 27

Ethan Ebanks-Landell: Danny Batth, but worse, and not Captain. On his way out. 24.

Nathan Byrne: In former saves, the #1 player, the Wolves' Right-back Superstar. Sadly outclassed by Iorfa. On his way out. 25

Depth Chart + Squad View:

View attachment 117994View attachment 117993

---

Current Tactical Setup:

*I'll just post the defensive one for now, as they play all pretty similar--but worse.

** I have about a billion tactics, btw, most of them tuned in the EFL Chmp though. None of them really right for my current players.

View attachment 118006View attachment 118005

Back Line PIs:

View attachment 118004View attachment 118003View attachment 118002View attachment 118001

Midfield/Defensive Midfield PIs:

View attachment 118000View attachment 117999View attachment 117998View attachment 117997View attachment 117996

Attacking Midfield/Striker PIs:

View attachment 117995

---

Surface Analysis: Team does not have quality to complete with big name clubs.

In-depth Analysis: Attacking: A lack of attacking depth severally hampers the team's ability to create chances. I.E. There's often 6-8 players in just about a line in the final third. I've had this problem with multiple formations. Also, ineffectual crosses lead to easy interceptions and lots of wasted stamina without a chance on goal. Not sure what the problem here is, used to be great at setting up crosses, but lack of strikers has forced me into different formations.

Transition: Attacking Wingbacks/Fullbacks do not have the defensive acumen to shut down attacks that come through the flanks with good attacking player often just dribbling past them, or even worse through them into the box. Also, not enough players up top to get on the end of counterattacking passes/clearances.

Defense: Centerbacks are actually just a class part from what is required in EPL. Have trouble stopping even mediocre attacking players and never fail to concede late goals or mark threats properly. Dunno what I can do here other than buy better defenders???

Since I'm still learning what everything really does, I just can't put my finger on the problem. On the attacking end, I can't seem to create chances at all. Most games average somewhere between 5-8 this season. On the defending end, well, I don't even know, they're so bad I'm lost. Every game is a struggle despite having a lot of high quality players and even periods of extremely entertaining football.

Luckily the board doesn't really have any philosophies so I'm free to adjust. Penaranda is by and far the best player and he should be the main scoring threat. Ayew and Graham are also goalscoring threats. Most players have generally had the fortune to score once or twice a season.

Personal style goals: lots of through balls, emphasis on quick, short passing and off the ball movement to disorient defenders and get players wide open in the box. A compact defensive line that absorbs pressure.

EDIT: ((Additional goals include playing pseudo moneyball--buying players that perform better at a similar skill level or are a higher quality of player at a weak position as well as selling (most) players once they hit 30/31 or are no longer needed.))

What I think is the strongest part of the team: The Flanks. Mas, Iorfa, Graham, Ayew, W. Silva, Penaranda--all fantastic and can dribble well.

Weakest part of team: Centerbacks. Awful. Constant failure to mark threats properly, get between shots and the goal, or even win the ball. Also, it seems like EVERYONE just kind of underperforms, constantly missing easy goals, booting it right to opposing players and missing interceptions.

But, Scoopz, then why are you playing this strict, defensive formation??? It's the only that's kinda worked. Came in with a much more open formation from EFL Chmp, but it quickly began to lose it's charm after a solid 1st EPL season opener.

In short, I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing and this latest stretch sees my players underperforming in a formation that I think sucks, but seems to work better than what I've already tried. Help!

Thanks for reading, I'll try and answer any questions that come up!!!

Last edited: