bijunelu

Reaction score
I AM PLAYING FOOTBALL MANAGER FOR ABOUT 13-14 YEARS! I ALLWAYS BUY THE GAME, NEVER HACKED....EVERY YEAR I MANAGED TO FIND A TACTIC THAT COULD SUIT ANY TEAM AND ALWAYS PERFORM BETTER THAN EXPECTED (OVERACHIVE). LOW TEAM, TOP TEAM, NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF TEAM I WAS USING I WAS DOING VERRY GOOD! THIS YEAR I THINK THAT NO ONE IS ABLE TO GET A TACTIC THAT DOES THIS THINKS! I HAVE USED 99% OF THE TACTICS IN THIS FORUM AND THE BEST I DID WAS 2 CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES WITH NEWCASTLE AFETER BUYING WORLD CLASS PLAYERS THAT IS ALL. SPEND ABOUT 7 SEASONS AT NEWCASTLE! NEVER I CHANGE TACTICS FAST - I AM USING THEM FOR 5 -6 MONTHS BUT NO ONE SEEMS TO FIT IN LIKE IN OTHER YEARS!

NOW I I TRYING A LOW TEAM FROM ROMANIA LEAGUE 2...I PROMOTED AFTER 2 YEARS BY LUCK AND NOW ON FIRST LEAGUE EVERYONE BEATS ME -:|)))

I HAVE ALL THE ADMIRATION FOR U GUYS WHO ARE WORKING ON TACTICS BUT THIS YEAR IS BY FAR THE HARDEST ON.

I THINK THIS YEAR I WILL ERASE FOOTBALL MANAGER FROM MY COMP:)) I HAD ENOUGH 2 MONTHS OF SEARCHING AND TRYING TACTICS:

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL

I THINK THIS YEAR I WILL ERASE FOOTBALL MANAGER FROM MY COMP.

Go ahead, who cares.

In my experience, fm16 is not hard. Fm16 is random

You can see stupid tactics that are unbeatable.
Use a logical tactic and you will only lose.

Just try whatever comes to your mind. You will finally find something.

Don't think too much. There is no logic in this game.

Counter means control. Control means counter. Structured means space. Possession football means defensive. Counter attacking means attacking.

Against packed a packed defense don't try to be patient moving the ball. Play direct passing.

Forget anything related to real football. Try the opposite you would do in real life. It worked for me.

Last edited:
Counter means control. Control means counter. Structured means space. Possession football means defensive. Counter attacking means attacking.

Against packed a packed defense don't try to be patient moving the ball. Play direct passing.
And in my experience (and I've spoken to you a lot) you're talking out of your ****.

Counter means counter attack. Play safe and counter when it is on.

Control means aggressively try and control the final third.

Structured mean everyone has a job, so do that. How it means 'space' is baffling, unless you're talking about the strata being a bit more spread out.

Possession football can be done in pretty much any mentality from Defend to Control. You don't need to be defensive. Amazingly, you just need to ensure you have passing options and that means not being stupidly attacking.

Counter attacking means exactly that. There's a difference between counter attacking and just being direct. And you can pretty much counter attack in any Mentality, but obviously more likely in Defend and especially Counter.

Last edited:
I was just trying to help bijunelu. I know how it feels when nothing works and it seems that, you WJ, have no idea about that because you always have an (useless for me, sorry) explanation for everything.

Just explained how i solved my problems.

Hope it helps.

And yes, counter means control in fm terms, as long as control should mean possession and if you want to play possession football the easiest way is with counter mentality.

I had major issues myself for a long time. I never had a tactics forum to look to. I never had people hand me everything on a silver platter. Up until FM12, I could create 1 single formation that 'worked'. I couldn't create any other formation that gave me success. I didn't even really know why this one did the job.

FM13 changed things. I struggled and although it was frustratingly fun, I decided to watch more of matches. I actually watched matches at normal speed, in full for that entire version and a little into FM14 as well. The concept of space became very clear, early on... and trying different formations became almost easy as they all work on the same principles.

Leave a few back to defend the transition. Have a couple to recycle possession. Create space for the scorers - plural, because it shouldn't be one-dimensional. See that everyone is in their own space and not in each other's. See that opposition players aren't left too open without possession. All very simple stuff.

And yes, counter means control in fm terms, as long as control should mean possession and if you want to play possession football the easiest way is with counter mentality.
It's pretty easy to have possession football using almost any Mentality. It used to be commonly accepted (mistakenly, of course) that possession football can only be achieved using Defend or Counter. That's BS and Cleon's article shows how and why it's easy.

Because of the chess clock method in which FM calculates possession though, the possession % may just be higher because of the low tempo in Defend and Counter. Still, it's very possible to be extremely dominant even with Control Mentality and a few logical TIs.

Cleon is a genius. You can't expect everybody to be a genious. As you admit, possession football is easier with counter mentality. So, we are saying exactly the same.

Maybe me an other people are stupid, but watching matches is totally useless for me. I'm not saying there is no info, i'm saying i don't get any conclusion. You should understand that: not everybody is as talented and gifted as you. Or maybe, actually there is no info in matches and it's just your imagination.

I don't know.

That's why i posted in this thread. Your way to solve your issues is completely useless if you get no info from matches, if it's true that you can get some useful info from watching full games.

Again, that's why i posted. I was completely lost, games were giving me no info. If that's your situation, just try and fail, use a few orders, don't think about real football and try anything that comes to your mind. Finally, you will find something.

The tactic i'm using at this moment is completely against guides, fm (supposed) principles and any advice i've been given. But it's working.

Try if you want and tell me.

dont erase win

you dont need to erase.you can win first. use live editor to heal your team destroy the others and win all titles. end game back into real life with a sense of happiness you didnt lose more than an hour on something that doesnt give you money.

Cleon is a genius. You can't expect everybody to be a genious. As you admit, possession football is easier with counter mentality. So, we are saying exactly the same.

Maybe me an other people are stupid, but watching matches is totally useless for me. I'm not saying there is no info, i'm saying i don't get any conclusion. You should understand that: not everybody is as talented and gifted as you. Or maybe, actually there is no info in matches and it's just your imagination.

I don't know.

That's why i posted in this thread. Your way to solve your issues is completely useless if you get no info from matches, if it's true that you can get some useful info from watching full games.

Again, that's why i posted. I was completely lost, games were giving me no info. If that's your situation, just try and fail, use a few orders, don't think about real football and try anything that comes to your mind. Finally, you will find something.

The tactic i'm using at this moment is completely against guides, fm (supposed) principles and any advice i've been given. But it's working.

Try if you want and tell me.
Yes, he knows his stuff, but he pays attention to what's happening on the pitch. Most of the time though, he rushes through games like I imagine most people do.

We did a SI Sports Centre series (last year, I think) where a bunch of us analysed AI v AI matches with absolutely no info about the tactics used etc. Everyone did quite well at spotting issues and even 'guessing' the roles and duties used. Cleon picked up on much more than we, the mere mortals, did (such as D-lines being too high/low) but there was a lot of information to try and process and everyone still did well, as I said. The main points were picked up by most and quite a few found it actually easy to spot issues as most tried to watch a few minutes in full because we had no information other than the positions on the formation screen.

If you made a tactic that is completely against guides, then good for you. Don't be surprised if you struggle in FM17 though. That's the big difference. People who understand and follow the concepts in the guides will be consistent over the updates/versions because it matches real life concepts. It's the whole 'giving a man a fish/teaching him to fish' story.

Edit: It was FM14.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394522-SI-Sports-Centre-The-Analysis

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394525-SI-Sports-Centre-The-Discussion

Last edited:
Just a note: when you say do the opposite to what you do, you are getting something right but with the wrong reasons in mind. Tactically, in anything that is tactically, often the best answer is the one that runs against the first impression. In everything tactical, more often than not, doing what appears the logical thing on first look is the wrong answer, and the right answer is in going deeper into the issue and realizing the opposite to that is the right answer.

I'll give you one among many examples that has worked to make my 4-4-2 narrow diamonds work better. Do you know how people tend to say, as the first thought says it's logical, if you play a narrow formation you're seeking to exploit the middle so play narrower and exploit centre? WRONG. In my experience that means that a formation that packs the middle, gets the middle overcrowded and often you see various players (once even the four midfielders) occupying the same space and they're actually worth a single player. Byt setting my team to play wide, I got that solved. My team would still use mainly the middle, but the wider set up made them more apart and hence the four midfielders would still be in four different positions, therefore being actually a four men force in which all were doing something. They began then to overload opponents instead of overcrowding the space or taking themselves out.

And like that, a lot of things have effects opposite to what one would expect. Sometimes you also need to take into account the fact this is a game and figure how certain things would have to be simulated; then you can understand some other things that would not be true in real football, i.e. that sometimes, if you set every one of your passing related instructions to short passing it turns out to make your players do hoofball and that then you'll get the shorter and more possession based formation you might seek by telling them to pass longer, or to stop keeping possession.

Also, I'm not saying getting that is easy, some of that sort of ideas I've reached only after several versions of FM. So I'm not suggesting the people who go by the immediate thought of what seems logical are stupid.

Yeah, in addition to the above, I also had a 442 diamond a few months ago. 2 of them were playmakers. I'm not sure if there was a 3rd roaming role, but naturally you'd think that the middle would be strong and easy to keep possession.

I was struggling to 'make it work'. I then switched the full match mode and watched ONE, SINGLE phase of play where we had the ball. The midfielders were all roaming to find space, but the problem was that they all went for the same space. It took a couple of minutes. That was all. TI to Stick to Positions and they were more spread out instead of drifting into the same areas. Job done.

I think that this year the match engine is strange!!! or maybe it is undescovered

I think that this year the match engine is strange!!! or maybe it is undescovered

It does give me the feeling that the ME post FM12 did to the ME pre FM13 what XCOM has done to X-COM combat in a way and FM16 is the one in which it's more noticeable. (though still far from reaching the same length in the equivalent direction)

XCOM: The square you're in and your target is say 50% chance to hit and it will be so regardless of whether you're in the extreme of your weapon range or with your nuzzle on the alien's head.

X-COM: By the squares you and your target are your chance to hit is 50%, so if I get the 50% right then the shot will go in a line toward his body, if it fails then I'll assign a random trajectory that is within 90º in front of your soldier, then whatever it finds it will be hit. You got it right but there's a fence between you two that covers him? Then bad luck, you got the hit roll but the shot hits the fence. You missed? Maybe you get lucky and the trajectory randomly chosen goes through the target and you kill it, or you're still lucky and it got a different alien you might not have seen, or you can be extra unlucky and your soldier just killed a team mate.

Well if you can't succeed at this game, either play something else or try to find a way that makes you succeed. Don't try to look for the flaws in the game, the game works, but is just difficult. Trust me, I also know how difficult this game can be.. The best thing is just to really take your time for it. I watch all games at least on comprehensive, I write down what works and what doesn't work. Mess around with the roles, make notes, use scouts, be systematic about it... There are so many posts on this website about every single aspect of this game. If it was truly impossible than nobody would be playing it...

But it is up to you, if you don't want to then by all means remove it