ESL - European football just got better!

paddy420

Reaction score
This idea has been done to death but here I am to resurrect it & kill it once more. I am almost done with a beta that is releasable & here is a brief explanation to my idea while I'm bored at work:

Story of Foundation

It's the end of the 2008-09 season & the top club sides in Europe are batteling UEFA for the right to be entitled to more TV money & prize money. UEFA rejected the proposal & as a result 9 club sides (Barcelona, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Porto, Inter Milan & AC Milan) have decided to break away from their own national FA's & UEFA to form a European super league. The 9 chairmen/presidents of the clubs have formed a committee to arrange this new multi-national league. Shortly after proposals to start a single tier 9 team league, more clubs had accepted the fact that this is the future of European football & joined the new league system.

Soon the numbers swelled to 158 teams & the original 9-strong committee proposed the 4 tier system that was agreed to by all but Real Madrid. The league allocations were formed on the last UEFA club coefficients before the exodus & due to the rullings that there was to be a maximum of 2 teams from any 1 nation in the top 2 tiers Real Madrid were placed into the 2nd tier. The Spannish giants were effectively told to 'shut up or go back to La Liga' so they accepted their place in the new set up.*

The top two tiers will form the European Super League (Super League A & Super League B) & will comprise of 10 teams each.

The 3rd level will be the ESL Qualification Series, which is split into 3 regions: North, South & East. Each league will comprise of 16 teams.

The final tier is the European Minor League, again with 3 geographical splits in the same way as the 3rd tier. This league takes on a very different format to traditional leagues as each section contains 30 teams that only play eachother 1 time (29 game season).

Pomotion/Relegation within the leagues

European Super League A (SLA)
8th place plays play off match with 3rd place in SLB to retain top flight status
9th & 10th place are automaticly relegated to SLB
(Total Relegated: 2.5)

European Super League B (SLB)
1st & 2nd place automaticly promoted to SLA
3rd place plays play off match with 8th plac in SLA to gain top flight status
(Total Promoted: 2.5)
10th place are automaticly relegated to SLQ
(Total Relegated: 1)

ESL Qualification - North, South, East (SLQ)
1st place in each division plays play off competition with 1 of the 3 teams recieving a bye to the Final Round, with the winner promoted to SLB
(Total Promoted: 1)
11th to 16th place in each division are automaticly relegated to ML
(Total Relegated: 18)

European Minor League - North, South, East (ML)
1st to 5th place in each division automaticly promoted to SLQ
6th to 9th place in each division enter play offs with the 3 winners gaining promotion to SLQ
(Total Promoted: 18)
Relegation from here is undecided yet... my idea is either to have a 'European Team Pool' beneath the ML as an umplayable league so teams can technicly be promoted & relegated back to their own FA's (if you use your imagination lol) OR my other plan was to add some more levels getting more & more regionalised as you go down. I think I'll do the former for the beta coz its less work but may choose to add more leagues in the future.

Major Cups

European Cup (National Cup)
Paying homage to Europe's most prestigious competition, the European Cup will be contested by 158 teams from the top 4 levels of the pyramid.There is a 5 round qualifying process that will involve clubs from level 2, 3 & 4. The 90 Minor League (lv 4) clubs will enter over the 1st & 2nd qualifying rounds, then the 48 Qualification (lv 3) teams enter over the 3rd & 4th qualifying rounds, followed by 7 Super League B teams entering into the 5th & final qualifying round. The competition proper sees 3 lucky Super League B teams who recieved a bye enter into a group stage. 6 teams qualify from the group where they will be met by the 10 Super Leage A clubs for a straight knock out system over 2 legs up to the final where it is a single match at a neutral venue.

Super League Cup (Other Cup)
This competition is open to teams form level 1 & 2 of the pyramid. The 10 SLB teams enter into a group stage where 2 groups of 5 will produce 3 qualifiers each. The 10 SLA teams enter into the next round where it is a straight knock out system over a single match with no replays untill the final which will be over 2 legs.

Eurpean Challenge Trophy (Other Cup)
Clubs from step 3 & 4 will compete for the Challenge Trophy, except for the 2 lowest ranked teams in step 4. The Minor League teams enter in the first 2 qualifying rounds & play a 3rd qualifying round before the Qualification teams enter for the 1st round proper where it will be a straight knock out system over 2 legs except for the semi final which will be over 2 legs. The final will be over a single match at a neutral venue.

More info to be added when I get home tonight & screenies available soonish. I know the European Super League idea is a bit old but I thought I'd give it a bash with my own twist

Last edited:
Love the idea mate,if you want I can test it out for you

PS;What patch are you on?

heh well... im on the original patch XD

The reason is because when I first tried to patch the game (installed by Steam), it ballsed my whole computer up for some ungodly reason, so I reformatted the computer & reinstalled FM2010 this time not using Steam (I personally think Steam is a pile of computer crippling ****, but thats just me & my 1850's PC's thoughts on the matter) & decided it would be a grand idea to not give a **** about patching it as FM2011 wont be too far off now lol.

Anyway, theres a long winded answer to your question with a Steam related rant thrown in completely free of charge! Couldn't get any work done on this last night or thismorning, so sit tight & update on the business could be tonight!