Euro 2012 Match Discussion Thread

I fail to see where the luck lies, please tell me because i am curious whether it was luck or poor finishing. Two totally different things.

Luck is defined as something that is brought by chance rather than by yourself. With Barcelona's regular conversion rate, you can count yourselves lucky that on the one day their conversion rate is much​ lower than their average, it was against you. That is luck.

Luck is defined as something that is brought by chance rather than by yourself. With Barcelona's regular conversion rate, you can count yourselves lucky that on the one day their conversion rate is much​ lower than their average, it was against you. That is luck.

But that day happened twice, and they did score twice. Infact they had less shots in the 2nd leg than they did in the first leg. Also them missing the chances are bought by themselves rather than chance. It was a combination of great defending, great goalkeeper when needed and very very poor finishing. For instance if a side is losing a match heavily and late on a fog sets in and forces the match to be abandoned and played again, that is luck as it was caused by chance rather than by someone. Opponents missing chances is not luck, just mere poor finishing and/or good defending and keeping.

Last edited:
But that day happened twice, and they did score twice. Infact they had less shots in the 2nd leg than they did in the first leg. Also them missing the chances are bought by themselves rather than chance. It was a combination of great defending, great goalkeeper when needed and very very poor finishing. For instance if a side is losing a match heavily and late on a fog sets in and forces the match to be abandoned and played again, that is luck as it was caused by chance rather than by someone. Opponents missing chances is not luck, just mere poor finishing and/or good defending and keeping.

Did you even read what I said? Luck is a statistically unlikely event occurring. Is it statistically unlikely that Messi would miss the chances that he did? Ys. Is it statistically unlikely that they'd hit the bar as much as they did? Yes. Don't get why you're so offended, if no one ever got lucky in sport, it'd be boring.

What a great game. Finally Spain combine their tiki-taka game with some dynamism, penetration and pace. The results were there for all to see. Jordi Alba's goal for example was fast, incisive and something which totally caught the back 4 out especially after Alba's lung busting run

I think it was a good idea that Del Bosque made Fabregas play like a more traditional Centre-Forward. It was apparent that Spain lacked attacking thrust when he played as a False Nine when he dropped deep, neither Silva nor Iniesta were making runs in behind the defense to exploit the space he left behind. But today the first goal is a good example of his changed style of play

This has to be the best finals I've watched so far. Spain saved the best for the last, and my did they play their football with a lot of attacking intent. Totally deserved to win it. Cesc's role as a false 9th was well worked in that first goal, and the other goals are just what you expect from Spain and their football style. A Hattrick of Success, job well done ;)

As for the Azzurri, I was just hard luck how they crumbled in the pitch. The scoreline was just to harsh one them, especially since they had been playing so well to come this far. Its also hurts when you see Pirlo just about to weep in tears, he's done so much for both club and country. Pirlo's pass where astray, and Balotelli was lost in the Red sea. Defending as just decent, but Spain always found that gap in that millisecond. Sapin where just to much for the Italians to contain.

I also though Pandelli made one of his biggest mistakes of his Italian managing career, like putting [doubtfully unfit] Chiollino at LB, and then bring [possibly unfit]Motta who then injured himself. But one a bright note, Pandelli has done well to recover the team after that Disgrace of 2010 by Lippi (lol XD). They can only improve from here onward.

Marco Verratti could be the closest to Pirlo imo. Watch out in 2014 ;)

Not a great final. A brilliant spectacle, yes, but only a decent final. The main interest was just how good Spain were. On that note: blimey, they were good.

But then that is what you do with possession. Which was my point, its not purely about possession but what you do with it. Possesion on its own is meaningless.
Higher possession means you'll spend less time defending and more time attacking ( Spain and Barcelona). How's that meaningless ?
Ok, I understand that pure holding the ball doesn't win on it's own, and I said it before, but it's really helpful.

And there's no luck ( you should know that Joel, you are economy freak :) ). There's only odds, percentage that some will, or will not happen. I agree that Barcelona failed in finishing their chances, but who cares ? I don't, well done Chelsea :D

Not a great final. A brilliant spectacle, yes, but only a decent final. The main interest was just how good Spain were. On that note: blimey, they were good.

Italy were never really in it.. Outnumbered in the midfield and when they did have the ball, Spain pressed superbly as a unit to close down the spaces so they were unable to initiate any cohesive attack

Spain put in a tremendous performance no doubt

Italy were never really in it.. Outnumbered in the midfield and when they did have the ball, Spain pressed superbly as a unit to close down the spaces so they were unable to initiate any cohesive attack

Spain put in a tremendous performance no doubt

Once they were 2-0 down it was hard. Once they were a man down as well, it was impossible. Full credit to them though, they never stopped trying, they were just outclassed by the best international team in history.

Are people genuinely saying they want us to play like Swansea? /: Heck, I don't even want Liverpool to play like Swansea!

I recommend you all take a look at this: Match stats | Swansea City v Newcastle United | guardian.co.uk

Congratulations Leon Britton, you completed 2000 more passes than Xavi. Not a massive feat considering the majority of them were backwards or sideways.

Hodgson could only play what was in front of him. If players like Wilshere and Cleverley can put their injury problems behind them then yeah, maybe we can start to play some good football. But right now we can't, we don't have the players for it (not to mention the fact Hodgson had a few weeks to throw something together).

Last edited:
Higher possession means you'll spend less time defending and more time attacking ( Spain and Barcelona). How's that meaningless ?
Ok, I understand that pure holding the ball doesn't win on it's own, and I said it before, but it's really helpful.

Having more of the ball does not mean you will be attacking. Swansea is a good example of that. They spend a lot of the time rotating the ball round the back of the midfield. Possession without attacking. Its not how much possession its what you do with. Spain had their lowest possession rate of any point in the Euros last night (it was in fact more than 10% down on the first game vs Italy), and played a class above anything they had previously produced.

Are people genuinely saying they want us to play like Swansea? /: Heck, I don't even want Liverpool to play like Swansea!

I recommend you all take a look at this: Match stats | Swansea City v Newcastle United | guardian.co.uk

Congratulations Leon Britton, you completed 2000 more passes than Xavi. Not a massive feat considering the majority of them were backwards or sideways.

You do ofcourse realise that a lot of Xavi's passes are in the same direction, and when it does go forward it comes back to him a lot of the time, a lot of the time Barca and Spain simply pass the ball between their midfield and defence with no real intention in order to lure the opposition into a false sense of security before turning up the tempo and cutting the opposing defence open, if you think Xavi acheives so many passes a game by passing the ball forward most of the time I have a feeling you may be wrong.

But then that is what you do with possession. Which was my point, its not purely about possession but what you do with it. Possesion on its own is meaningless.
I understand what you mean, possession is just one aspect of the game. Swansea is good example of that. But holding the ball frustrates opps, you make them run more... it's not meaningless.

I understand what you mean, possession is just one aspect of the game. Swansea is good example of that. But holding the ball frustrates opps, you make them run more... it's not meaningless.

It doesn't neccesarily make them run, again Swansea compared to Spain are a good example of this. Swansea tend hold onto the the ball in non threatening areas, there is no reason for you to chase them. However, Spain tend to hold onto the ball in dangerous areas, you are forced to chase them or be put under serious pressure.

That's the difference. It's what you do with alll that posession that counts

Looking at it all again, it proves to me that "flairy" strikers usually don't cut it for national tournaments. With tactics not being as refined, better to have someone who is a fine athlete , very determined to score , excelling in speed, power or both and uses simple means to get the job done.

Case in point: Klose. Mediocre on club level, most consistent tournament striker of last 10 years.