I suppose I don't really agree on the interpretation of this style of football, maybe that's why I'm confused by the term "functional football". For me it suggestions playing the easy passes without getting out of position too much.

Uruguay and particularly Germany excelled at the last World cup as they always had two or three off the ball runners getting in between the channels - mainly Suarez for Uruguay and Ozil for Germany. Strikes me as being balanced but very fluid and creative.

All the things we're not..

'Functional' football can mean lots of things to lots of people, which is why it's easy to understand why you might be feeling confused. The most generally accepted idea of functional football is 'unspectacular but efficient football'. As such, you could well be right in your analysis of it there, but not in every case.

Any team can adapt and employ a functional style to fit them without straying too much from the core principles of it. For example, Zambia in the ACON were undoubtedly a functional side, yet their passes were almost never easy and simple: rather, they were focused on playing on the counter. As the OP says, their idea was to get the ball from back to front as quickly as possible in order to release their front four. As such, their passes were often long and risky.

Very sad news indeed. However he will rejoin the squad again

I know this may sound very harsh, considering what just happened, but it is no disrespect to him in particular, but I wish he did not return with Darren Bent on standby apparently, would be a much better option. Also not to mention Defoe will be damaged mentally so it could effect him.

I know this may sound very harsh, considering what just happened, but it is no disrespect to him in particular, but I wish he did not return with Darren Bent on standby apparently, would be a much better option. Also not to mention Defoe will be damaged mentally so it could effect him.
If he feels that he is mentally ok to play then Hodgson shouldn't stop him. Maybe it will spur him on this summer and have a 'play for his dad' kind of mentality.

If he feels that he is mentally ok to play then Hodgson shouldn't stop him. Maybe it will spur him on this summer and have a 'play for his dad' kind of mentality.

It could do, but Darren Bent is still a far better option than Defoe, but it does sound harsh considering what happened, I am suprised he is coming back at all.

It could do, but Darren Bent is still a far better option than Defoe, but it does sound harsh considering what happened, I am suprised he is coming back at all.
as am I. But fair play to him. Bent wasn't picked originally because he had been injured and hadn't played in ages so to pick him now would be a very strange move. If Hodgson was going to pick him then he surely would have put him in the original squad or on standby

I just thought of something, an optimistic thought! Remember this year, Chelsea were supposedly doomed, with no-one giving them a look-in to the Premier League, FA Cup or Champions League? And people saying their squad was old, weak and in a transition period? With 'rookie' boss Roberto Di Matteo taking charge?

This sounds similar to the current England situation; previous shambles (Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 - to a certain extent) and no-one giving us a chance. Not only have some of our key players been ruled out/ruled themselves out, we have one of the weakest England squads in a while and a manager who has been in charge for a month (who, although I like him, does not have a brilliant reputation).

However, we will go into the tournament with no pressure; and it may turn out to be a good thing, like it did with Chelsea. They went in as underdogs almost every game (since RDM took charge), and it benefited them. Yes, this is hopeful thinking, but perhaps, just perhaps, we can emulate them, and Greece, and go all the way. Just perhaps...

- PZW

If England make it out of the group, I can see it being second place and not winning the group, subsequently going out in the Quarters.

I heard the BBC commentators saying how the Denmark v Netherlands game will probably set out the same as England v France, England playing like Denmark were. But to be honest I imagine we will be even more negative than Denmark were, which is worrying.

We won't keep the ball as well as the Dane's did judging by our last two matches, which is so annoying when we have better players.

I am Danish and to cheer up you Englishmen up...
4432865_700b_v1.jpg