Euro Draws

Kris

Reaction score
Chelsea must repeat last season's Champions League win against Barcelona and Arsenal will have to overcome Real Madrid to reach the quarter-finals.

The Premiership duo were drawn to face the Spanish giants in Friday's draw for the last 16 of the Champions League.

Holders Liverpool have been drawn to play Manchester United's conquerors Benfica, while Rangers face a tough test against Villarreal of Spain.

The other big game in the round will be between Bayern Munich and AC Milan.

Chelsea's meeting with Barcelona will evoke memories of last season's controversial meeting in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Jose Mourinho accused Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard of influencing referee Anders Frisk after a 2-1 defeat in the first leg that saw Chelsea striker Didier Drogba sent off.
Chelsea won 4-2 in the second leg at Stamford Bridge to go through, beating Bayern Munich in the last eight before losing to Liverpool in the semi-final.

But Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon is confident last season's row will not overshadow the game.

He said: "We want to put that behind us now. We want to look forward. We had two fantastic games against them last year. Memorable.

"Even in rehearsal we got Barcelona so I didn't think lightning would strike twice.

"But at this stage in the competition you expect to get a big team and we have got one. At the moment they are as hot as we are in the UK."

Real Madrid will present a formidable barrier to Arsenal's hopes of claiming a first Champions League triumph, with England captain David Beckham and possibly Jonathan Woodgate in opposition.

But boss Arsene Wenger will be hoping his side can take advantage of the current turmoil at The Bernabeu after coach Wanderley Luxemburgo's sacking to send Real crashing out.

Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein was jubilant after the draw, saying: "Pure showbusiness. It's fantastic. It's one of the draws of the round.

"We have never played Real Madrid before in Europe but, of course, they are one of the great teams of Europe.

"Never under-estimate Real Madrid because they are one of the very best. I suppose it's what everyone dreams of.

"We would have loved to have played them in the final and we would love to get to Paris as a lot of our boys know the way there very well. But now we'll have to do it the hard way."

Liverpool will be aiming to fare better against Benfica than Sir Alex Ferguson's side, who went out at the group stage after a 2-1 defeat in The Stadium of Light.

And Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez will be delighted to have the second leg at Anfield by virtue of finishing top of their group.

Rangers will also be reasonably satisfied to have avoided the big guns, but will face a tough test against Spanish dark horses Villarreal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHELSEA v Barcelona
Real Madrid v ARSENAL
Werder Bremen v Juventus
Bayern Munich v AC Milan
PSV Eindhoven v Lyon
Ajax v Inter Milan
Benfica v LIVERPOOL
RANGERS v Villarreal

Boro & Bolton handed tough tests

Middlesbrough and Bolton have both been handed tough tests in the draw for the last 32 of the Uefa Cup.
Steve McClaren's Boro take on VfB Stuttgart over two legs with the first in Germany, and the winners will play Club Brugge or Roma in the last 16.

Bolton host their first knockout tie against French giants Marseille and the winners of that contest will go on to face Rosenborg or Zenit St Petersburg.

The first legs are on 15/16 February with the returns all on 23 February.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside said he was thrilled to be paired with Marseille in the Trotters' first season of European competition.

"It's fantastic news, they are a massive club and we are really looking forward to it," said Gartside.

"They have a good European pedigree and we will respect that. It's great for us to be drawn with a team of that nature.

"I'm sure it is going to be one of those magical European nights you always hear other clubs talking about."

Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren believes their draw against Stuttgart will bring the crowds back in the competition.

Boro attracted just 9,436 against Liteks on Thursday and have struggled with low attendances in the competition so far this term.

"Stuttgart are a big club with a massive stadium and I think the fans will come in droves to both legs," said McClaren.

"I wanted tough opponents and that's what we've got but it suits us fine.

"We are confident in Europe now after 18 months in European competition and this is just the kind of tie which will get the fans right behind our run."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full draw for the last 32 of the Uefa Cup:

Liteks Lovetch v Strasbourg
VfB Stuttgart v Middlesbrough
Slavia Prague v Palermo
Lokomotiv Moscow v Sevilla
Heerenveen v Steaua Bucharest
Bolton v Marseille
Hertha Berlin v Rapid Bucharest
Basle v Monaco
Udinese v Lens
Rosenborg v Zenit St Petersburg
Club Brugge v AS Roma
Shalke 04 v Espanyol
Lille v Shakhtar Donetsk
FC Thun v Hamburg
Real Betis v AZ
Artmedia Bratislava v Levski Sofia

Very verygood draw for the CL last 16.

Cant wait

Possibly one of the easiest teams to have drawn, so there is a chance Rangers could go through :D

He's right though,it could have been tougher

Although im gutted Man u arent there, thers some great ties e.g. Barca Chelsea,Munich Milan, **** Real.

I think the winners will be

Barca,****,Juve,Munich,Lyon,Inter,Liverpool,Villareal

Douy said:
Possibly one of the easiest teams to have drawn, so there is a chance Rangers could go through :D

Yeh but they're still far better than Rangers. If they have Forlan & Roman playing they will do well against you.

Kris said:
Middlesbrough and Bolton have both been handed tough tests in the draw for the last 32 of the Uefa Cup.
Steve McClaren's Boro take on VfB Stuttgart over two legs with the first in Germany, and the winners will play Club Brugge or Roma in the last 16.

Bolton host their first knockout tie against French giants Marseille and the winners of that contest will go on to face Rosenborg or Zenit St Petersburg.

The first legs are on 15/16 February with the returns all on 23 February.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside said he was thrilled to be paired with Marseille in the Trotters' first season of European competition.

"It's fantastic news, they are a massive club and we are really looking forward to it," said Gartside.

"They have a good European pedigree and we will respect that. It's great for us to be drawn with a team of that nature.

"I'm sure it is going to be one of those magical European nights you always hear other clubs talking about."

Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren believes their draw against Stuttgart will bring the crowds back in the competition.

Boro attracted just 9,436 against Liteks on Thursday and have struggled with low attendances in the competition so far this term.

"Stuttgart are a big club with a massive stadium and I think the fans will come in droves to both legs," said McClaren.

"I wanted tough opponents and that's what we've got but it suits us fine.

"We are confident in Europe now after 18 months in European competition and this is just the kind of tie which will get the fans right behind our run."

Full draw for the last 32 of the Uefa Cup:

Liteks Lovetch v Strasbourg
VfB Stuttgart v Middlesbrough
Slavia Prague v Palermo
Lokomotiv Moscow v Sevilla
Heerenveen v Steaua Bucharest
Bolton v Marseille
Hertha Berlin v Rapid Bucharest
Basle v Monaco
Udinese v Lens
Rosenborg v Zenit St Petersburg
Club Brugge v AS Roma
Shalke 04 v Espanyol
Lille v Shakhtar Donetsk
FC Thun v Hamburg
Real Betis v AZ
Artmedia Bratislava v Levski Sofia

Could of got worse :( could of got better.

Roma or Brugge when we go through , so we aint got the easiest of ties should we get through.

Lee said:
Yeh but they're still far better than Rangers. If they have Forlan & Roman playing they will do well against you.

But, if we have top drawer players like Bernard and Namouchi playing, we'll wipe the floor with them :D

Im behind Rangers all they way but it will be very difficult.

Cant see Boro going through :p

Some good ties for the Last 16 there. Chelsea Barca will be a one to watch definetly i think whoever wins that wins the tournament. Arsenal Real will also be a good game. AC Milan and Bayern either team could win that. In the rest of the ties its kind of obvious whos going to win i think.