Euro hope for Oxlade-Chamberlain

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 2K
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain could be ready for the European Championships in 2012.

What he said in full:

Arsène Wenger believes it would be unwise to rule out Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for a late run into England’s Euro 2012 squad.

The young winger has been sounded out as a possible ‘wildcard’ pick for the tournament in Ukraine and Poland next summer after a blistering start to life with Stuart Pearce’s Under-21s – including a hat-trick in the latest international break.

Capello has admitted that the 18-year-old is likely to be a part of his plans in the forthcoming international friendlies and Wenger thinks a place in Poland and Ukraine next summer is possible.

“I don't rule him out,” said the Arsenal manager. “That depends on his progress here. Again sometimes you are a bit too quick in England for that.

“But you cannot rule him out because he has the basic talent. In the next five, six months we will see how he adjusts to the physical intensity of the game.

“Today you cannot expect too many players to be unknown because every single big game is watched by everybody.”

Theo Walcott made headlines when he was selected for Sven-Goran Eriksson’s 2006 World Cup squad as a 17-year-old. But Wenger believes comparisons between him and Oxlade-Chamberlain are wide of the mark.

"It's difficult to say because they are different types of player,” the Frenchman said. “Theo Walcott went at 17 years of age to the World Cup and Oxlade-Chamberlain is already 18 now. They are at different stages.

“I believe that Oxlade-Chamberlain is more in the build-up of a game and Walcott has more of a striker’s mind. They are different types of players, both gifted.

“Slowly England is getting players out of the youth system that have the quality to play at a very interesting level.”

Can't rule him out. If he has a blinding season/ others have an awful season, he should go. Walcott v Sturridge should depend on foorm. As should Johnson v Downing although Downing is first choice atm. Cleverley, if he continues his good performances, warrants a place ahead of Lampard, but Lampard should still have a place as an alternative option/ experience/ source of a goal.

no, but maybe later, like WC 2014. just i dont want another 'walcott' type incident. but i do have high hope for the OX. :P

I know, but its all very well being dangerously quick, but that can only get you so far, got to have to more to your game than that. Still think Walcott is better off being developed through the middle.

Big shame if DS doesnt go

Walcott is more than just quick to be honest, he's shown what he can do before he's just not consistent enough.

I just think it would be a shame to leave Walcott out.

To be fair, didn't we say that about his inclusion in the World Cup?

True but last year was his best year by far, if he can carry that over this season then it would be hard to leave him out.

Walcott is more than just quick to be honest, he's shown what he can do before he's just not consistent enough.

I just think it would be a shame to leave Walcott out.

True but last year was his best year by far, if he can carry that over this season then it would be hard to leave him out.

If Walcott and Sturridge continue their current forms, it'd have to be the Chelsea man imo. I know there is more to Walcott we just dont see it enough. I mean, I celebrated his cross more than i did the goal!

Back