Europa League Discussion Thread

I love Bilbao, and they have a harder task than any other club in the world due to the basque rule. Adleast they wont go bankrupt. I will really miss tthem in europe next year:'(

I love Bilbao, and they have a harder task than any other club in the world due to the basque rule. Adleast they wont go bankrupt. I will really miss tthem in europe next year:'(

They will play in Europa League next season because they reached the final of the spanish cup (vs Barcelona)

Seems that the occasion got the better of the Athletic players. Credit to Simeone too, his tactics were spot on.
I hope Athletic recover in time to give Barcelona a good match in the spanish cup final (hopefully winning it).

Would be interesting to see how much of that starting eleven is there next season (Athletic Bilbao).

Atletico deserved it but the passion of the Bilbao players was incredible. Muniain was awesome second half.

I support Partizan,a small team from Serbia.We are predicted to go 3rd in the group.We are in the group with Inter,Neftchi and Rubin Kazan,so pretty tough group.I am interested to see how are we going to do against Inter.

Right Europa League regulars i.e Liverpool and Spurs etc i need your help here. How does the seeding work for the next draw? Is there any country protection?

I was just reading through the comments on this page, and what has happened to Bilbao this season? They are doing very poorly, much worse than last season, yet it's not like they have lost their whole team (only Javi Martinez)! Anyone know what's going on, is there a reason or are they just underachieving?

I was just reading through the comments on this page, and what has happened to Bilbao this season? They are doing very poorly, much worse than last season, yet it's not like they have lost their whole team (only Javi Martinez)! Anyone know what's going on, is there a reason or are they just underachieving?

They haven't been playing Llorente as he won't sign a new contract and is free to talk to other clubs about a free transfer in Jaunuary, so that explains a lack of goals. etc.

We are facing Newcastle, I expect a win, good draw, I think only Basel would be more desired.^^

0- 0 Draw? With these two teams? I would say unlikely... Both play very open and with a relatively fast tempo, at least Benfica, the problem on our side is that we can't give an inch because Porto is only two points behind us, this may lead to squad rotation and certain players left out, if I have to choose between europa league and the portuguese league I know which one I would have first... x) Anyway I'm sure it will be at least a quality game.

Hope you enjoy the 0-0 draw at your place before we beat you 1-0 at ours. ;)

Both play very open and with a relatively fast tempo

You obviously haven't seen us play in Europe then hehe! :p We have had 4 clean sheets in a row, looking to make it 6 against you lot ;)

I don't expect us to get through, surprised we even got this far. Our league position is fine, we won't get relegated, so we may as well go all out against you lot! :)

Even with the quality of both sides, Newcastle would be more than happy with a draw away and then attempt to win the tie on the home leg. I think it will be a close game over both legs but at this stage of the competition there isn't any easy matches.

I have not by I often watch PL games, at least one or two every week. We have been having some cleansheets too , it was 5 until yesterday but then again the center back duo was the backup one, no Luisao no Garay, you will certainly go all out, we probably won't but there are no excuses, Benfica must AT LEAST discuss the game until the final whistle of the second match, lets see if little Pablo Aimar gets time to shine again.

You obviously haven't seen us play in Europe then hehe! :p We have had 4 clean sheets in a row, looking to make it 6 against you lot ;)

I don't expect us to get through, surprised we even got this far. Our league position is fine, we won't get relegated, so we may as well go all out against you lot! :)

I imagine we will set Perchiniho loose on Aimar. ;)

Right Europa League regulars i.e Liverpool and Spurs etc i need your help here. How does the seeding work for the next draw? Is there any country protection?

If your being bullied from above you bully the people below you;). Still a funny post

We beat Fenerbahce, we beat the frenchie referee sent by Platini and we would beat the ************' 300 Spartans if needed.

Cooooooooome Chelsea....!

Nobody gives a **** about this thread (or this competition...) but there's been plenty of surprises so far.

Shakhtar going out to Viktoriz Plzen at home.
Lazio going out to a Bulgarian team that scored a last minute equaliser to go through 4-3 on aggregate.
Dead-last Betis beating Rubin in Russia to go through.
Swansea giving Napoli a big *** scare.
Porto going through on away goals after a 3-3 draw against Frankfurt, 5-5 on aggregate.
Red Bull Salzburg raping Ajax and going through 6-1 on aggregate.
Sevilla having to work hard to make it past Slovenian side Maribor.

And there's more to come!

Nobody gives a **** about this thread (or this competition...) but there's been plenty of surprises so far.

Shakhtar going out to Viktoriz Plzen at home.
Lazio going out to a Bulgarian team that scored a last minute equaliser to go through 4-3 on aggregate.
Dead-last Betis beating Rubin in Russia to go through.
Swansea giving Napoli a big *** scare.
Porto going through on away goals after a 3-3 draw against Frankfurt, 5-5 on aggregate.
Red Bull Salzburg raping Ajax and going through 6-1 on aggregate.
Sevilla having to work hard to make it past Slovenian side Maribor.

And there's more to come!

to be fair I was flicking throught the games and was some decent football, watched second half of salzburg and ajax was decent enough.

Does anyone know what happened to giving the winners a pass into the champs league qualifying? Is it not happening I remember reading something a while back sure it was platini said the winners would get a spot and would not take away from that nations places. to be fair they do that and guarantee teams would take it mega serious

Edit Just found it winners from 2015 get a spot expect next season for this competition to be more competitive

Last edited: