European League Structure- A Motherwell Story

sjg11

Reaction score
This league structure was created by T1LL13. It can be found here if you're interested in downloading. It's a 16 tier league structure involving clubs throughout Europe and I will be competing in Division 4D, the lowest division with Motherwell.

"Motherwell this morning announced the sacking of manager Stuart McCall and they have also announced the appointment of former pirate turned rookie football manager, Euron Crow's Eye. This follows their recent resignation from the Scottish league structure and their entrance into the new European Super League, or ESL as it has become known as.

The team shall compete in Division 4D, a league with 24 teams in it with 5 teams getting promoted automatically and two teams facing each other in a playoff to decide the 6th and final promotion spot to Division 4C for next season.

Motherwell are predicted to finish 8th in the league but the board and the fans fully expect promotion from Crow's Eye this season and failure to achieve this could lead to the end of Crow's Eye's managerial career.

Apparently Crow's Eye's eventual goal is to get Motherwell into the top flight of the ESL and maybe even to win it one day."

These are the teams which will compete in the league we're in by the way:

I hope this will be an entertaining story where I will achieve my eventual goal of reaching the top of the league structure.

Monthly updates will ensue so my next update will be when I've finished pre-season.

For the people who are following my Austria Vienna story (few though you may be), I'll be doing both stories simultaneously. The pace for both stories will significantly quicken when my exams are over.

Pre-Season
Transfers
Out
I sold Zane Francis Angol because I needed money to buy some more players who could get the job done for me. I got a decent amount for him so I'm quite pleased about the deal, all things considered.
View attachment 338532
In
View attachment 338533View attachment 338534
I got these two on loan from Ajax and Brann respectively. They'll improve the weakest area of my team, the midfield and Barmen's versatility means he can slot in at centre-back if I need him to.

View attachment 338535View attachment 338536
I snapped these two up to improve my backroom staff.

Tactic
View attachment 338537
4-5-1. Pretty standard really but it seems to work well with the team and I always go 4-5-1/4-3-3 when I can. The Austria Vienna save is a rarity for me since I'm using the Diamond there.

Results
Motherwell 3-0 Motherwell Reserves
Bellshill 0-4 Motherwell
Bathgate 0-7 Motherwell
Queen's Park 0-4 Motherwell
Motherwell 3-0 Middlesbrough

Some really good results there. No goals conceded, lots of goals scored and we thrashed a team who are 4 divisions above us (genuinely they're one of the promotion favourites in a league four leagues above us.) This result was brilliant, particularly for pre-season.

Overall I'm feeling really confident ahead of the start of the season. I think we can easily win promotion this year and I think we can expect to win the title too. I think I've built a really good squad here capable of flying through the lower tiers of the game.

In other news, apparently Motherwell got relegated 15 seasons in a row to get down to the league we're in.
View attachment 338541

Crow's Eye out, will see you at the end of August.

Any update on your story dude?

I am honoured that you are using my league structure. Would be great to see how far this goes. Following!!

Any update on your story dude?

I am honoured that you are using my league structure. Would be great to see how far this goes. Following!!

This sounds great. Have you got a link for the database. Might try this out on my next save!

Cant wait to see how this develops guys!

Yeah, I'm still carrying on with this (just about to do a few games now) but with exams I'm literally crawling along at a snail's pace. In fact slower than a snail. IN fact slower than a dead snail.

As Motherwell is my local team ill be following :)! good luck man

August 2012
Transfers
Nothing happened. As in literally nothing. Not even a little something. After all, I haz no money so I'm just sitting and waiting for funds/an amazing free at the moment.

Results
(SPAIN) Xerez 1-4 Motherwell- Division 4 Championship (Group N)
View attachment 341552
Considering the fact that these guys are three leagues above us, I'll take a 4-1 as very acceptable against them. We dominated them although one sour note was that this was the first goal I conceded on this save.

Motherwell 5-1 Vardar (MACEDONIA, I think)
View attachment 341553
Another magnificent performance here. Admittedly this was against one of the weakest sides in the division but still, a win's a win. Higdon's just a freaking goal machine.

By the way, this was the message I got for that game. Unusual title:
View attachment 341571

Motherwell 6-1 Elfsborg (SWEDEN)
View attachment 341554
Considering the fact that Elfsborg had just beaten another side 7-2, I think this was a pretty decent result. In other news, what is Higdon on?

Motherwell 2-1 Flora (ESTONIA)
View attachment 341556
25 shots and only 2 goals. A very frustrating game since we should have scored more at home against a team as bad as these guys.

Motherwell 3-1 Angers SCO (FRANCE)- Division 4 Championship (Group N)
View attachment 341559
Great win against another side 3 leagues above us in the same competition as the Xerez win. Very good performance. Everything's going well and we're banging in plenty of goals at this point.

Here's the table for the Division 4 Championship Group N (it's a cup competition):
View attachment 341570

Omonoia 2-1 Motherwell
View attachment 341572
Grrrr.... so close to the perfect month and then this happens. We did not deserve to lose this game, I'll say that much now, although we probably didn't quite deserve to win it either. Oh well, on the bright side this was, on paper, the toughest game I'll face in the league all season and we more than matched them which does bode well for the future.

Table
View attachment 341573
I can't believe after the month we had that we're only 5th in the table. However 5th would be enough for me to achieve my pre-season target of promotion and we're going very well in the Division 4 Championship so, overall, it's been a great month.

Player of the month
View attachment 341574
11 goals in 6 games. Pretty average month really... nah, in all seriousness, he's the best striker in this league and I'm just glad he's ours. I don't even want to think about what would happen if he got injured.

PS. This edit is great and I'm really enjoying it. I would recommend it to anyone who has the game. It's unbelievably fun. Moreover, the gaps between teams in the same division are so small, for example Blackburn and Watford are 7 divisions apart whereas in a normal game there would probably only be a few league places between them which just shows how even every league is in the game.

Might give the database a go, couldn't get into a Sheff Utd story. Great work, Higdon really needs to step us his game IMO

Might give the database a go, couldn't get into a Sheff Utd story. Great work, Higdon really needs to step us his game IMO

I was considering using Sheffield United here, they're the worst English side in the structure (they're relegation candidates in the division above me).

I wanted to manage a lower league British side and I ended up taking Motherwell instead.

The DB creater actually put Motherwell in that league? I expect you to walk it.

The DB creater actually put Motherwell in that league? I expect you to walk it.
Apparently I'm only the 8th seed in this league. Not sure why the team's rated so lowly.

September
Now I get why the team's rated 8th by the media. This league is a lot tougher than it looked like. Anyway more on that later.

Transfers
Sporkslede had a long term injury which meant I sent him back to Ajax since he wouldn't recover in time to play another game. A shame since he was a really good player.

Results
Gyor (HUNGARY) 1-2 Motherwell
View attachment 341865
This was an excellent win. Great performance and a great result. The bad news was that Hateley was injured.

Vicenza (ITALY) 3-0 Motherwell
View attachment 341866
My worst ever FM performance. Never had a team play like this before. Ever. Never ever. My mood was worsened by injuries to Devlin, Ramsden and McHugh ahead of the next match. Basically this meant I had lost 4 defenders to injury with my best reserve defended on a long-term injury so I had to put in some youth defenders for the remainder of the month. Vomits.

Volyn (RUSSIA) 0-0 Motherwell (Division 4 Championship Group N)
View attachment 341869
Considering my defensive issues, I was pretty pleased with a point and a clean sheet which means I only need one more win to progress in this competition.
View attachment 341867

Motherwell 1-2 Pyunik (ARMENIA)
View attachment 341870
Vomits again. Defeat at home to the worst team in the league. Hutchinson was on about 20% fitness by the end of the game but because of my injury problems there was no chance of me replacing him. This was, thankfully, the low point in the month.

Skonto (LATVIA) 1-1 Motherwell
View attachment 341871
Actually a decent point. Devlin came back and you can already see the improvement in terms of the defence. Overall I wasn't particularly impressed nor infuriated by this one.

Olimpija (SLOVENIA) 0-1 Motherwell
View attachment 341872
Great win away from home here. Scored a first minute goal and then clung on for dear life until the end of the game.

Motherwell 1-1 NAC Breda (HOLLAND)
View attachment 341873
Huge goal for Stevie Hammell here. Very worryingly Higdon's stopped scoring goals. Stopped Breda overtaking us and had huge consequences for Breda:
View attachment 341875
They sacked their manager after the match in what was the first wave of sackings across Europe. I'm hoping they either appoint Steve McClaren or Iain Dowie as their new manager and go on a run of 11 defeats in a row.

Other News
View attachment 341876
I'm hoping this happens and I actually get some money to spend during the January transfer window to add some much needed youth and depth to my squad.

Table
View attachment 341877
Dat Stevie Hamell goal against Breda could prove crucial. Puts us in an automatic promotion spot at the moment, although it's really tight at the moment. If that month was the low point of the season we'll have a very good season so I'm hoping that was our blip. In other news, Malmo have started magnificently. 9 wins and 1 draw from 10 matches is insane. I think they've probably won the league already unless they really screw up.

Player of the Month
I was tempted to give it to nobody this month but that goal against Breda got him the award for this month:
Stevie Hammell
View attachment 341878