Everton - A New Generation and New Era.

mullan_j

Reaction score
everton-badge_zps6d832385.jpg

It has been announced that Everton Football Club have parted company with David Moyes with immediate affect.

evertonwelcome.jpg

Everton have been quick to promote young Jack Mullan from their academy staff. Chairman Bill Kenwright had this to say about new manager Mullan,

'He is great young coach and manager. He has been in charge of our youth set up here for a number of years and has impressed everyone with his knowledge and forward thinking. We find ourselves in an era where science and analysis have become a big part of the game, and this guy knows all about it. He has some great things planned and ideas which i believe will take the club forward, and i shall support him with every step'

In his first press conference sat alongside the chairman, Mullan was quick to state his intentions for the club the vision he has, these are some of the key points to come out of the press conference'

'This is an excellent opportunity for me, and i plan to grab it fully with both hands. The facilities here are excellent, especially the young setup which i know very well, and i fully intend to promote from within. We have some exceptional young talent here, the likes of George Green, John Lundstram and Hallum Hope are all great prospects and i fully intend to use them'

'Money is tight. Everyone knows this. We have some interest in some of our players and if the deal is right, we will see what happens. I will be making funds available, we have players on big money who perhaps don't perform to that standard, so i will see what i can do'

'From working with our youth academy, i have had the opportunity to see talent from around the country, and i must say that there is some incredible talent out there, and i fully intend to bring them to Goodison Park. Our talented youngsters, along with some acquisitions of younger players, I have the opportunity to build a new generation here at this club. Finding the balance of our established stars like Baines and Jagielka, twinned with players such as Ross Barkley and John Stones we really do have something special here'

'I have a long term vision for this club, to become Premier League Champions and to be big contenders in the Champions League. However this does not happen over night, we have to be realistic. The competition is strong, we have both Manchester club, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and our rivals Liverpool. That is 8 top quality sides fighting for Champions League qualification. We also have the likes of Newcastle, Swansea, Sunderland, I could go on. Every team has the ability to mix it up, on their day beat anyone. Our targets have to be gradual. This season our aim is to qualify for the Europa League, that is our minimum target, along with a strong cup run.

'We have to establish ourselves as a team which can consistently compete. However i will not put the clubs future in doubt to do this. We have seen the likes of Leeds, who in the past have splashed the cash for short term gains. Look where they are now. If we have the funds, then its a different story'

It is unknown who Mullan is targeting, however their is big interest in midfielder Marouanne Fellaini, with both Manchester clubs after him, and this could create the finances to allow Mullan to purchase his targets. It is also believed Mullan is looking to sell the likes of Jan Mucha, Sylvain Distin, Johnny Heitinga, Tony Hibbert and Victor Anichebe. This should free up funds for Mullan to pursue his younger targets.

What players should Mullan target to bring to Goodison Park? Here are potential young stars, which ones would you like to see brought in?

Alex Smithies
Ben Amos
Jed Steer
Jason Steele
Josh Lelan
James Tomkins
Lule Shaw
James Ward-Prowse
Nick Powell
Jack Cork
Will Hughes
Tom Ince
Nathan Redmond
Callum Chambers
Adam Lallana
Josh Grealish
Max Clayton
Mason Bennett

All these young stars have the potential, but which ones will Mullan target. Will he find the right players to bring into his squad but also will he be able to strike up the right deal?

*I wont be using suggestions, just looking to see what people think.

Last edited:
Bennett Hughes Shaw and i cant see the picture at the top says this person moved or deleted this picture

Pre-Season Results

Everton 3 - 2 Everton Reserves - Hope, Barkley, Mirallas

Monaco 1 - 4 Everton - Mirallas, Jelavic, Osman, Hope

Viktoria Zirkov 0 - 1 Everton - Naismith

Bury 1 - 1 Everton - Shaw

Preston 1 - 1 Everton - Green

Everton 2 - 0 Leverkusen - Jelavic, Barkley

Transfer Update

Everton manager Jack Mullan was true to his word when he said he would be targeting young talent, and cutting the wage bill at the club. Leaving the club are Mucha, Oviedo, Vellios, Hibbert, Duffy, Distin, and Anichebe. Everton also saw Darren Gibson leave for newly promoted Reading for £8 million, dutch centre back Johnny Heitinga leave for £18 million for Chelsea, and Marouanne Fellaini joined mega-rich Manchester City for £28.5 million.

'We could not turn down these offers. It allowed us to strengthen other areas of the pitch. I now feel we have a squad capable to push for a European spot.'

Coming into Goodison Park was Derby pair Will Hughes and Josh Lelan. Young forward Max Clayton joined from Crewe, wide man Nathan Redmond from cash strapped Birmingham and young goalkeeper Ben Amos from Manchester United. Mullan's biggest signings though have to be James Tomkins from West Ham, Nick Powell on season long loan from Manchester United and young Luke Shaw from Southampton.

Mullan spoke of his new signings for the first time in the press conference.

'Hughes and Powell will give us some much needed depth in the central of midfield, the combination of these 2 youngsters, combined with the experience of Leon Osman will allow us to compete with anyone in the midfield.'

'Lelan and Tomkins add to our strength at the back, if we dont concede we dont lose.'

'Redmond and Clayton will give us some real pace in the forward areas, they have what it takes to make an impact'

Of all his signings Mullan spoke of Shaw extensively.

'Luke is an amazing young prospect. Over the years we have seen the Southampton Academy produce some top talent, we have the likes of Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Bale all competing at the top. I believe Luke is in this bracket of players. He has everything to his game, going forward, defending, set-pieces, he can do it all. Luke will give us some much needed balance to the side, he can play all down the left hand side, and be a threat to all teams. He has the potential and ability to be one of the greats'

lukeshaw_1627985a_zps9d01c330.jpg

Does Luke Shaw have the ability his manager claims he has? And will Mullans youngsters give Everton the push they need?

Transfer Update

As the transfer window came to a close, newly appointed Everton manager Jack Mullan decided to splash the cash available to him. First he brought in Southampton captain Adam Lallana in a deal worth £13 million, and then further strengthened his side by acquiring Stoke captain Ryan Shawcross in a £18 million deal. Seated alongside his new signings Mullan has this to say.

'Im a delighted. The opportunity presented itself and i decided to move in. Both players are leaders, and have qualities which will improve this squad. Adam is an exciting young lad, still only 24, he has the potential to be a great, and i believe he can really add something here. Ryan is an exceptional defender, one of the best in the world, and is a real centre half. Both players will be breaking into Roy Hodgsons England squad soon im sure, i have no doubt in that. Although a large amount was spend on these players, i believe we will see that return 10 folds, they can help us to achieve our ambitions, they believe in what we are targeting here, and they will definitely help some of our younger players out.'

August Update

Aston Villa 0 - 3 Everton
Jelavic (3) MOM

Everton 4 - 1 Fulham
Jelavic (3) MOM, Pienaar

Everton 1 - 1 Bournemouth - Capital One Cup
Clayton, Everton win on penalties.

Evertons Nikica Jelavic wins Player of the Month, while right back John Stones wins Young Player of the Month

September Update

Manchester City 0 - 3 Everton
Naismith, Jelavic, Powell - MOM Shawcross

Everton 1 - 3 Tottenham
Pienaar

Newcastle 0 - 2 Everton
Pienaar, Baines - MOM Shawcross

Reading 2 - 2 Everton
Lallana (2) MOM, Everton win on penalties.

Everton 2 - 0 Norwich
Naismith, Powell - MOM Shawcross

October Update
Reading 2 - 2 Everton
Naismith (2) MOM

Everton 3 - 1 West Ham
Powell, Mirallas, Barkley - MOM Howard

Everton 0 - 1 Liverpool

Everton 3 - 0 Blackburn - Capital One Cup
Barkley, Green, Clayton - MOM Jagielka

Press Conference Review

'We have started well. We have set our stool out and the expectations which we set ourselves, and we have set it high. Not just the 11 on the pitch, the whole squad has played there part so far.'

'The young lads that have played in the capital one cup, and the ones involved in the league have done great so far and i expect that to continue. They are really showing me what they can do and proving that i was right to show faith in them'

'The new lads have done extremely well. It isnt easy coming into a new club, but they have settled really well and have shown what they can offer. We have seen Adam chip in with some important goals, and Ryan and James are developing a good partnership and are playing well.

'Powell and Hughes are playing well. With Leons injury early on they have had to step up and show how good they are and they are letting their feet do the talking. This could be a partnership for years to come hopefully and it will only get stronger.'

'However we cant get ahead of ourselves, the season has only just started, we need to continue in this fashion and keep on developing.'

tomkins_zpsc581fbdd.jpg

Everton Centre Back Tomkins has become a real crowd favourite. There is some serious competition for places in this Everton, with the likes of Phil Jagielka, Phil Neville and Steven Pienaar finding themselves being rotated in recent weeks.

November Update

QPR 1 - 4 Everton
Powell MOM, Barkley, Jelavic, Lallana

West Brom 0 - 2 Everton
Foster og., Jelavic MOM - Shawcross

Everton 2 - 1 Chelsea
Jelavic, Hughes MOM - Shawcross

Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal
Hughes

Manchester United 3 - 1 Everton
Jelavic

Club News

During the international break both Ryan Shawcross and Adam Lallana were called up for England international duty and made there debuts.

December Update

Sunderland 2 - 2 Everon
Shawcross MOM, Clayton

Southampton 1 - 2 Everton
Jelavic, Powell MOM

Manchester United 4 - 2 Everton
Hope (2) MOM

'We fielded a very young team against a United team full of international stars, and they did the club proud and showed what ability they have. The likes of Josh Lelan, Luke Shaw, George Green and Hallum Hope have shown us what they have to offer the club'

Everton 2 - 1 Wigan
Barkley MOM, Jelavic

Everton 1 - 1 Stoke
Jelavic MOM - Shawcross

Swansea 2 - 0 Everton

Everton 1 - 0 Aston Villa
Jelavic MOM - Jagielka

Two new faces arrive at Goodison Park as three leave

Steven Pienaar moves to Inter Milan for £9 million, while Steven Naismith moves to West Brom for £3.6 million and Seamus Coleman moves to championship side Wolves for £3.8 million.

Mullan was quick to use the money brought in to further strengthen his squad. First he struck up a deal to bring Derby hot shot Mason Bennet to Goodison Park in a £2.5 million deal. Bennet is the third signing Mullan has brought in from Derby County. Then he stumped up £10 million to sign want away Blackpool winger Tom Ince who has scored 5 goals and made 7 assists in 18 games this season.

'This is all apart of my long term vision for the club, both players will have a huge part in the success i plan to bring to the club. Mason is an amazing prospect, his goals at youth level show his potential. Tom is a quality player, he isnt the finished article yet, but i cant wait to see what else he has to offer in the future.'

Thomas-Ince-008_zpsf4ac712e.jpg

Big things are expected from young Tom Ince

January Update

Fulham 2 - 2 Everton
Barkley, Ince

West Ham 1 - 1 Everton - FA Cup
Tomkins MOM

Everton 1 - 1 Manchester City
Barkley MOM

Tottenham 1 - 0 Everton
Shawcross MOM

Everton 1 - 1 Newcastle
Jelavic MOM - Barkley

Everton 1 - 1 West Ham - FA Cup Replay
Hope MOM - Lelan. Everton win on pens.

Everton 2 - 0 Burnley - FA Cup
Bennett (2) MOM

Norwich 0 - 1 Everton
Ince MOM - Shawcross

Everton youngster Ross Barkley has been voted young player of the month

Transfer Update

Everton completed what was a busy transfer window with 3 additional signings. First Eric Dier, the sporting youngster signed for Everton for £45k. Everton signed their third player from premier league rivals Southampton in the form of Callum Chambers. The young winger cost the merseyside club £3 million. Finally, in what was Everton biggest deal, saw midfielder Nick Powell make his loan move permanent. It is not clear how much they paid but it could potentially rise to £15 million.

'Im delighted. Nick has played a huge part in our season so far, and long may it continue. This is an investment in the future of our club. He is here to stay and to win things, and i cant wait to see what more he has to offer. Eric and Callum will provide competition within our ranks, they have the ability to develop well within this squad. They are our sort of players.

nick-powell1_zps106f0211.jpg

Powell has been in excellent form this season for Everton, creating an excellent partnership with Will Hughes

February Update

Everton 3 - 1 Reading
Clayton, Lallana, Shaw

Everton 1 - 1 QPR
Powell MOM - Tomkins

Newcastle 2 - 1 Everton - FA Cup 5th round
Redmond MOM - Lelan

'It disappointing, our youngster performed brilliantly and have done throughout the season. This will only aid their development. You will be seeing a lot more of them in the weeks to come'

Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton
Mirallas MOM - Shawcross

With only 10 games remaining Everton find themselves in 5th place in the Premier League.

'At the beginning of the season our target was european qualification. At the moment we are on course for that. However we have to keep our heads down and keep working hard. Everything is coming together really well and we need to keep developing and growing as a club'

March, April & May Update - Last 10 Games

West Ham 1 - 0 Everton

Everton 4 - 2 West Brom
Stones, Lallana, Jelavic (2)

Chelsea 3 - 1 Everton
Jelavic

Everton 3 - 0 Man Utd
Powell, Jelavic (2) MOM

Everton 2 - 1 Sunderland
Jelavic, Ince

Arsenal 2 - 0 Everton

Wigan 2 - 0 Everton

Stoke 0 - 0 Everton

Everton 0 - 1 Southampton

Everton 1 - 2 Swansea
Powell

Everton Finish 7th in Premier League and Qualify for Europa League

Ryan Shawcross Wins Everton Player of the Season Award

Season Review

'When we look back at my first season in charge, we will see it has been a season for change and development. I have brought in my own ideas, players and staff. As with anything it takes time, and as you can see its all coming together'

'The lads that have come into this squad have done magnificent. Ryan Shawcross, Adam Lallana and Nick Powell specifically have impressed me. Along with that, a number of youngster have come on leaps and bounds. James Tomkins, John Stones, Tom Ince and Will Hughes have also caught my eye'

'Im excited about the combination of players we have here. Ryan Shawcross and James Tomkins are top class centre backs and ban be a partnership for years to come. Along with them the pairing of Nick Powell and Will Hughes has been amazing. They compliment each other brilliantly.'

'Youngster such as Luke Shaw, Nathan Redmond, George Green, Josh Lelan and Hallam Hope have shown what they have to offer this club'

'The future here is exciting, and i will strive to help the club grow. I have a few targets in mind, but we will have to balance the books firsts'

ross-barkley-620-603598151_zps13ffdedd.jpg

Young Ross Barkley has impressed in his debut season and more is expected of him

How come you had loads of money? How much did you have to spend? I only have 3m now and that's with 25% of transfer given to me in the budget and the club are clinging onto cash barely. I should sell felliani and baines, but that will get me no where haha. Good story mate.

first season sold fellaini 28.5 to city, heitinga 18 to chelsea, and sold a few others like hibbert, pienaar, distin etc, players who still got me some cash and it freed up alot of money on wages. Most of the deals are half paid now n over 48 months. The finances are crippled atm, but the next update will explain the long term plan of the club.

2nd Season

Transfer Update

Everton manager Jack Mullan has proven himself to as a manager who makes the most of the transfer market. He seems to have the ability to spot a talent, make them his and integrate them into his squad perfectly. The Goodison Park faithful will be hoping the same this time around, as Mullan has made some bold moves in his dealings this summer.

Croatia Nikica Jelavic leaves the club in a £8 million deal which takes him to last seasons over achievers Stoke. Belgium international Kevin Mirallas, who had a reasonable first season in english football has moved to Chelsea in a deal worth £14 million. Life long Evertonian Leon Osman leaves for West Ham for £500k. While goalkeeper Tim Howard joins Southampton for £2 million. Victor Anichebe and Brian Oviedo have also left the club.

With the funds made available Mullan was quick to reinvest in his squad. Utility man Nathaniel Chalobah has signed on a season long loan deal with a view to a permanent move. The big news is the signing of Sunderland miss-fit Connor Wickham for £10 million. The former Ipswich youngster struggled to establish himself at the Stadium of Light but will be looking to repay his managers faith in him. Then Mullan broke the RECORD for a fee spend on a goalkeeper when he stumped up a £16.5 million for England youngster Jack Butland.

Seated alongside his new signings Mullan was quick to demonstrate his targets and vision for the club.

'Firstly let me say thank you to the lads that have departed. They played a big part last season. Kevin wanted to make the move and we were not going to stand in his way. Leon and Tim have been great servants for the club and will be missed'

'Nathaniel is an excellent player, he can play centre half or central midfield. He gives us a couple more options. Can we make it a permanent move? I would love too, but will we have to make sure the deal is right for everyone.'

'Connor is an great player. He never really had a run of games at Sunderland, but i am prepared to give him that. I believe in his ability, and firmly believe he can lead the way for us. He has the makings of a Everton and England great'

'I am delighted that we managed to get Jack. Yes it may be a large fee, but he is that good. He will push Joe Hart as England number 1 in a couple years im sure. I trust him, he will be my number this season. With game time and with an excellent defence in front of him, he will come on leaps and bounds.'

'A few questions have been raised as to whether this sort of spending will continue to happen. My vision for the club is over a long period. The squad we now have will be together for the next decade. We have brought together some of the best youngsters in the country, and they will only get better. There are 1 or 2 other players i would like to bring in, but that will have to happen further down the line'

'Our priority down is the facility of this club. We are looking to invest in training facilities, youth facilities, youth coaching and our recruitment network. We want to be self sustainable, produce youngsters from within. This is our aim and this is our ambition'

'I would also like to take this opportunity to announce our new link for American side FC DALLAS. It is a great link for everyone involved. The financial benefits here are unlimited. We want to become a world wide club, first its America, our next target is Japan and China. There is huge potential there'

'I would like to take this time to announce that Leighton Baines will be the new club captain following Phil Neville's departure. Phil Jagielkawill remain as vice-captain'

Jack-Butland-Eng_zpsa9f7ad8c.jpg

Mullan has put a lot of faith in young Jack Butland, and the Everton fans will be hoping he can live up to the hype

Pre-Season Update

Legia 0 - 5 Everton​
Jagielka, Hope (2), Wickham (2) MOM

Everton 3 - 2 Ajax
Hope, Wickham, Redmond

Fleetwood 0 - 1 Everton
Bennett

Roda JC 1 - 6 Everton
Powell, Redmond (2), Bennett (3) MOM

Bury 1 - 4 Everton
Ince, Clayton, Hope (2) MOM

'This season will be about us making the most of the squad we have available to us. We have 4 competitions. The Premier League, Europa League, Carling Cup and FA Cup. To build and to grow we are aiming for Champions League qualification this season. Anything else will be a step backwards. We need to show the rest of the world what we can do on a european stage, i firmly believe we have what it takes to go far in the Europa League. Everyone wants to win a trophy, and we are no different. We will aim to get as far as we can in the domestic cups, our young lads have the ability to challenge anyone.'

August Update

Everton 2 - 0 Thun - Europa League
Lallana, Clayton MOM - Shawcross

Thun 0 - 2 Everton - Europa League
Lallana (2) MOM

Everton Midfielder Nick Powell makes his England Debut

Everton 1 - 0 Swansea
Barkley MOM - Tomkins

Molde 0 - 2 Everton - Europa League
Wickham, Tomkins MOM

West Brom 1 - 3 Everton
o.g, Ince, Bennett MOM - Shawcross

Everton 2 - 1 Molde - Europa League
Clayton, Hope MOM - Jagielka

Everton have qualified for the Europa League Group Stage.
They have been draw against Dynamo Kiev, Spartak Moscow, M.Tel-Aviv.

September Update

Everton 3 - 0 Tottenham
Hope, Wickham (2) MOM

Everton 3 - 1 QPR
Wickham, Ince (2) MOM - Powell

M.Tel-Aviv 1 - 2 Everton - Europa League
Tomkins, Powell MOM

Blackburn 2 - 2 Everton
Baines, Wickham

Everton 3 - 1 Millwall - Capital One Cup
Hope, Clayton (2) MOM

West Ham 0 - 4 Everton
Lallana (2), Baines, Barkley MOM

Everton's young midfielder Nick Powell has won the Young Player of the Month Award

October Update

Everton 2 - 1 Dynamo Kiev - Europa League
Wickham, Clayton MOM - Jagielka

Man City 2 - 1 Everton
Ince

Everton 5 - 2 Southampton
Powell, Shawcross, Ince, Barkley (2) MOM

Everton 4 - 1 Aston Villa - Capital One Cup
Shaw, Clayton (3) MOM

Spartak Moscow 0 - 2 Everton
Ince, Redmond MOM - Powell

Fulham 2 - 2 Everton
Wickham, Shawcross MOM

November Update

Everton 2 - 0 Wigan
Lallana, Wickham MOM - Chalobah

Everton 1 - 1 Spartak Moscow - Europa League
Baines

Everton have qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa League, with two games remaining

'Its a great achievement for all of us here. It shows how far we have come and how much more we can develop. We have two games remaining, we fully intend to win our group, that will give us the best opportunity in the next round. However with this in mind, we are still competing on 4 fronts, so there will be some rotation in the coming weeks, but nevertheless we will be aiming to win the remaining games.'

Hull 2 - 1 Everton
Wickham

Jack Butland and John Stones have been called up into the England squad.

Arsenal 2 - 1 Everton
Clayton MOM - Shawcross

Everton 0 - 0 Newcastle
MOM - Shawcross

Everton 1 - 0 Burnley
Wickham MOM - Tomkins

Jack Butland has been voted Young Player of the Month
Jack-Butland-Eng_zpsa9f7ad8c.jpg

Young goalkeeper Jack Butland has been impressive for the Toffees this season