Everton clinch Beckford signing

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Everton sign Jermaine Beckford on a four-year deal after the striker's contract at Leeds was cancelled early.

More...

cant see him doing to well in the prem but who knows he could prove me wrong

Maybe 7 or 8 goals as an impact sub this season, cant see him getting a starting role but worth a punt on a free transfer I suppose.

Maybe 7 or 8 goals as an impact sub this season, cant see him getting a starting role but worth a punt on a free transfer I suppose.
Agreed. It's unlikely he'll get past Saha and Yakubu for a starting place but they're both injury prone so you never know.

Probs only start in the Carling, FA Cup & get five minutes towards the end when Everton are 3-0 up.

I wish Beckford the best of luck, he has been the man to give us the sucess this season and almost get us promoted over the last 2 seasons. However I don't think he will be a sucess in the Premiership. We don't even know if he would be a success in the Championship (I think he would be) but people seem to think he will be a huge success in the Premiership simply because of his 2 performances against 'them' and spurs. The hard thing for him will be is the same as Scotland. He will get a couple of games here and there and if he doesn't hit the ground running he will be back in the Championship next summer, though Everton seem to have confidence since they have given him a 4 year contract. But good luck to you Beckford.

he'll sit on the bench all season and do nothing. He is soooooooo overated. He didnt even manage to get a start every game at leeds towards the end of the season. He scored some goals in league 1, big deal, thats league 1 not the premiership. Worst decision he's made as he will fail. Even though im a liverpool fan, i hope im proved wrong but i just cant see him succeeding and he'll go on loan somewhere,

Glad he didn't come to us in the end.

Form really dropped and he is not good enough for the EPL.

As a Leeds fan I agree he's definitely overrated. His first touch is awful, he's lazy, he takes 4 or 5 chances to score and his attitude is appalling. But with all that you get a genuine goal scorer, though a goal scorer that's unproven. Although it's only league 1 it's still quite an achievement to bag 30 + goals for 2 seasons straight. We were calling for him to be dropped weeks before he finally was because we were sick of his attitude. Fans justified his awful attitude because he scored but when he didn't score it was like we were playing with 10 men. The only way he could be a success at Everton is if he hits the ground running otherwise he will turn into another Jason Scotland.

unused sub for most of next season, thats all i can see him doing in the Prem.

a very unknown quantity for everton, will be interesting to see how much of a chance he gets

David Moyes obviously thinks he can mould him in the way he has with Tim Cahill, Jagielka etc. don't forget this is a guy who was left to rot in the Isthmian league in his early days. good luck Becks, you deserve a shot at the big time.

rreminds me of DJ Campbells transfer to birmingham. That went well :P

I don't think anyone can say this is an awful signing simply because he was free ;)

Don't think he will play much at all, not as good as Saha or Yak.

With Saha and Yakubu both being injury prone, i can see him playing alot more than you all think tbh. and i hope he does well behind some better coaching staff and manager.

rreminds me of DJ Campbells transfer to birmingham. That went well :P

It did go well oO)

he was brought in the january transfer window whilst we were in the prem, played quite well considering the jump he had to make. Then had a full season up front with Cameron Jerome in the championship, and did well then too. he started 20 and scored 12. you cant argue with that.

we then sold him to Leicester for over a mil or so because we had preferred options up front.

he was a fan favourite, always 120%

Back