Everton F.C. - Can the Toffees Break the Top 6?

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Everton F.C. Logo.PNG

'Everton F.C. - Can the Toffees Break the Top 6?

Hello all, a 3rd fresh Football Manager 2020 start after forced restarts on the other two occasions. I'm hoping that there's no more corrupt saves and that I can actually enjoy and get to grips with the game before I start my long yearly journeyman save. That's why I'll be taking on the challenge of Everton F.C. in this one and will be attempting to finally get the club back into the Top 6 where they are so often tipped to make a challenge for. The job could soon be opening up in real life too, with manager Marco Silva under immense pressure to get results with the club labouring in 17th position. I am unsure if this save will run its full course of going all the way and winning trophies with the team, but will see as I progress.

Without further ado, I'm going to get straight into things. The club certainly has the players able to do the business and conjure that Top 6 finish. Everton, for me, are a club which has all the ingredients but can't seem to put them together to create a fine meal. My aim then, I guess, is to be the chef. Onto business and this will end the first post. I will review the squad, make transfers and begin the season in the next two posts. Pre-Season doesn't have many notable fixtures but the season opens with Manchester City and Chelsea in our first two games, so we can certainly make the right impression by getting results in those games.

Good luck with this. I had an enjoyable save with Everton on the beta, it's a really good challenge

The job could soon be opening up in real life too, with manager Marco Silva under immense pressure to get results with the club labouring in 17th position.

Yeah after Wednesday night lad, I’ll be following this! Despite being a red ?

Good luck with this. I had an enjoyable save with Everton on the beta, it's a really good challenge
Thanks mate. I'm looking forward to it. They've a good squad but the difficult part is getting the results which their capable of!

June 24th 2019
'Arriving at the club'

Richarlison.PNG

Richarlison celebrates a goal against Burnley as he leads Everton to a 2-0 win.

The first day on the job. Exciting times ahead as I settle down and get to know the lads. Owner Farhad Moshiri introduces me to the team and Bill Kenwright gets me through the basics. The player introductions go well, despite Gylfi Sigurdsson showing distress at my supposed 'lack of ambition', and their excited to be playing under my tenure.

Club Vision
Club Vision.PNG
I've played through a month of football so this may spoil one or two results - sorry! However, the club requires me to build a new stadium, work within the set wage budget and finish top half. The club, over the next few years, wants to be recognised as the 'best of the rest' and that's the extent of their ambitions. The FA Cup is also a desired goal and if we can win it at some point, it'd be a great trophy to win.

The Key Three
Jordan Pickford.PNG

Jordan Pickford - England's No. 1 and most certainly ours too. Has had a few off days, but when he's on it, he's a magnificent keeper and will be integral to keeping out the goals. He has incredible reflexes and here's hoping that he's able to have more of his 'on' days and consistently produce the goods for us in our attempt to finish around the 7th position.

Gylfi Sigurdsson.PNG

Gylfi Sigurdsson - A key figure who can be world class at times. He's laboured a bit since arriving at Goodison Park, with stellar performances coming few and far between. However, getting the best out of him could mean that we do a lot better than otherwise. A supremely skillful player and, like Pickford, will need to be on top form for us to achieve our goals.

Richarlison #2.PNG

Richarlison - Our third key man is versatile forward Richarlison. Can play on the left, right or up front and is certain to be a key link to our attack. Young Moise Kean is carrying the load up front so he'll be able to provide Premier League experience despite being very young himself. A mentor for a youthful attack while also presenting a player with immense potential to become a world class player.

The next update will entail Squad Dynamics, Code of Conduct, New Signings, Pre-Season and the Development Centre in a much bigger post than this one.​

4th August 2019
'Preparing to start the Premier League season'

Photo.PNG

Lucas Digne scores twice as Everton thrash Burnley 5-1.

Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct.PNG

One of the first tasks I got to completing was laying down the law for my players. It's not quite Chelsea level of sanctions, but players will be fined for all offences. Nothing really major to display which would really come as a surprise, and hopefully the players abide by it so I have no difficulties with player personalities during the course of the season.

Development Centre
Development Centre.PNG

We have a decent number of promising youngsters at the club, notably with Anthony Gordon, Ryan Astley, Lewis Gibson, Jonjoe Kenny and Beni Baningime all decent talents. I do quite like this new feature to the game as I love to play the youngsters in games and give them chances, so this style of in depth report helps me get a better grasp on who has a future and who doesn't.

Pre-Season
Pre-Season.PNG

I'd say it was a mediocre pre-season. We only conceded once and didn't lose, but my concern was that the wins were all against lower opposition and when we did come up against a more competitive rival, such as Krasnodar and PAOK, we were unable to find a way to win. However, there were plenty of positive attacking signs, and if we can find better finishing then we should be able to score even more.

Player Outgoings
Player Outgoings.PNG

A number of outgoings in the window. The biggest one was Everton flop Cenk Tosun leaving to Crystal Palace for almost 20 million. I think that's great money for a player who is nothing special and has flopped at Everton. Theo Walcott also commanded a decent fee which Norwich stumped up and Oumar Niasse as well as Maarten Stekelenburg also departing permanently. I tried to sell Schneiderlin permanently but could only get a loan which we'll still receive money from as he moves to AS Saint-Etienne.

Player Incomings

Thilo Kehrer - PSG - 5m
Thilo Kehrer.PNG

I think this is one of the biggest bargains on FM if I'm honest. Thilo Kehrer can develop into a top quality centre back with some great stats already on him, and PSG will willingly sell him on for just 5 million. I will pay that anyday! The club clearly needs a 3rd centre back following Kurt Zouma returning to Chelsea after his loan spell here. Thilo is a great young player and will fill that void to perfection.

Jefferson Lerma - Bournemouth - 25m (Rising to 32m in instalments)
Jefferson Lerma.PNG

A more expensive deal here for a quality defensive midfielder. I don't fancy Fabian Delph, Morgan Schneiderlin didn't look great before going out on loan either and Jean-Philippe Gbamin begins the game with a long term injury. I felt some defensive steel in midfield was required and again, like Kehrer, he meets the requirements and fits the bill. A good piece of business here if you ask me.

Bertrand Traore - Lyon - 8.5m million
Bertrand Traore.PNG

Another little bargain from Ligue 1 here, this time with right winger Bertrand Traore joining from Olympique Lyon. The club has some great wingers, Richarlison, Alex Iwobi and Bernard, but all of them are naturally left sided. To add to the right side, I brought in this pacy and skillful winger to add some real trickery and firepower to the bench or starting line-up.

10th August 2019
'The League is Underway'

Marco Silva.PNG

Marco Silva was sacked in real life following Everton losing 5-2 to Liverpool and the club languishing in 18th position.

Matchday 1 - Manchester City vs Everton
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford; Sidibe (Coleman, 63), Keane, Mina, Digne (Baines, 63), Lerma, Gomes, Iwobi, Sigurdsson (Davies, 73), Richarlison, Kean
Manchester City vs Everton.PNG

A good start to my managerial career as we draw away to the champions. Manchester City may have dominated the match, but weren't able to score more than one goal and we've nicked a draw against them! It didn't get off to the best start as Lucas Digne picked up an injury knock within 5 minutes and just over 15 minutes later, we'd be picking the ball out of our net as Sergio Aguero scored for City. They kept threatening the goal, but Pickford kept repelling them and in the second half, some questionable goalkeeping by Ederson let to a simple equaliser for Moise Kean on the counter attack. An extremely pleasing first result.

Matchday 2 - Everton vs Chelsea
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford; Coleman, Kehrer, Keane, Digne (Baines, 52), Lerma (Davies, 64), Gomes, Iwobi (Bernard, 52), Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Kean
Everton vs Chelsea.PNG

It may've been a first defeat in charge, but we played a better game today and I'd say we were just unlucky. It's still against a major side challenging for the title, so it's nothing to kept upset about and after going 2-0 down, we had several chances to level it after Bernard came on to score, but couldn't get the job done. A good effort and positive signs but unfortunately we've narrowly missed out on a result.

Matchday 3 - Burnley vs Everton
Line-up (4-2-3-1 - Switched to 4-2-2-1 on 74 mins): Pickford; Coleman, Keane, Kehrer, Digne, Lerma (Davies, 61), Gomes, Iwobi, Sigurdsson (Sidibe, 74), Richarlison (Traore, 7), Kean
Burnley vs Everton.PNG

A first win in my career in competitive football! Moise Kean is looking like the goalscoring forward I crave at his young age already which is amazing and despite having a man sent off we held on for a hard fought victory. I think it's no secret that Burnley are always a difficult team to play against and they're no-nonsense style influenced by manager Sean Dyche caused us some problems today. They didn't shy away from fouls and the match eventually boiled over, with Seamus Coleman on the receiving end of a straight red card. Thankfully, though, a 2-1 win in this one for our first three points. The negatives, however? Both Richarlison and Jefferson Lerma were forced off with injuries. Bertrand Traore made what was nearly a full debut as a result and was quite solid and showed promising signs which was nice to see.

Carabao Cup 2nd Round - Everton vs Rochdale
Line-up (4-1-2-3): Lossl, Sidibe (Calvert-Lewin, 80), Holgate, Mina, Digne, Kehrer, Charsley (Denny, 56), Davies, Traore, Bernard, Kean (Keane, 85)
CC Everton vs Rochdale.PNG

A slightly rotated side against League One opposition, so I would've expected slightly better than a narrow 1-0 win, no discredit to Rochdale. Despite having numerous shots, we had the same number of on target attempts (3) as each other and in the end Moise Kean popped up with another goal in the first half to give us what would prove to be the winner.

Matchday 4 - Everton vs Liverpool
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford; Sidibe, Keane, Kehrer, Digne (Baines, 74), Delph (Davies 74), Gomes, Iwobi, Sigurdsson, Traore (Bernard, 74), Kean
Everton vs Liverpool.PNG

A difficult fixture list to begin with, but we're certainly making a name for ourselves as we try to contend with the Big Boys, and so far we have! The match that got Marco Silva sacked this week, saw us attain and much better result! They mounted early pressure and I was fearful of a hiding, but after their early goal, we held our own, prevented a second goal and Jordan Pickford saved a James Milner penalty in the 90th minute to get us a very respectable point in the dying embers! To add to the positives, Moise Kean scored again which is lovely to see!

Injury Update
Monthly Injury Report.PNG

We certainly haven't been short of some injuries early on, with Jefferson Lerma and Richarlison all being kept out of first team action as a result.

Monthly Manager Performance Summary
Monthly Manager Performance Summary 3.PNG

One of the new little FM20 features, and the board are pretty satisfied so far. They seem pretty happy, with the only criticism being the loss to Chelsea, which I feel is a bit unfair considering we weren't the favourites.

Attachments

• Marco Silva.PNG
    Marco Silva.PNG
    759.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Manchester City vs Everton.PNG
    Manchester City vs Everton.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Everton vs Chelsea.PNG
    Everton vs Chelsea.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Burnley vs Everton.PNG
    Burnley vs Everton.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Everton vs Liverpool.PNG
    Everton vs Liverpool.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 97
  • League Table.PNG
    League Table.PNG
    244.7 KB · Views: 112
  • League Table 2.PNG
    League Table 2.PNG
    253.9 KB · Views: 107
Decent set of opening results there considering the difficult start you had!

15th September 2019
'Ups and Downs'

Photo 2.PNG

Bernard celebrates following a wonder strike against Watford

Matchday 5 - Watford vs Everton
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Sidibe, Keane (Holgate, 69), Kehrer, Digne, Delph, Gomes, Traore, Sigurdsson (Davies, 69), Iwobi, Kean
Watford vs Everton.PNG

Following our positive start, I was hoping to make some good progression with a 'easier' fixture against Watford. However, it was not to be, as the Hornets outclassed as on their way to a 2-0 win. Obviously, we weren't helped by a red card for Fabian Delph with 20 minutes left, but it was an uninspiring performance and quite a disappointing result.

Matchday 6 - Everton vs Leicester
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Sidibe, Holgate, Kehrer, Digne, Lerma (Davies, 62), Gomes, Traore (Richarlison, 62), Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Kean (Calvert-Lewin, 84)
Everton vs Leicester.PNG

Leicester are enduring a tough season with no wins yet and languishing in 18th position. It was a hard fought contest but we pushed through and claimed a late winner through Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who scored coming off the bench. We probably deserved it in all fairness and it was good to see us recover from that surprising defeat against Watford.

Matchday 7 - Newcastle vs Everton
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Sidibe, Holgate, Kehrer, Digne (Baines, 64), Davies (Lerma, 64), Gomes, Traore, Sigurdsson, Iwobi (Bernard, 64), Kean
Newcastle vs Everton.PNG

A stunning victory against Newcastle as we thrash them 4-0! Moise Kean scored a hat-trick and we led 2-0 inside 6 minutes. Jordan Pickford saved a penalty on 12 minutes from Jonjo Shelvey and it wasn't Newcastle's day, as they wasted a few opportunities and we clinically took ours. A first goal for Bertrand Traore as well which was nice to see to add to our first real convincing performance.

Carabao Cup 3rd Round - Preston vs Everton
Line-up: (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Coleman, Kehrer, Keane, Digne, Davies, Gomes, Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Iwobi, Calvert-Lewin
CC Preston vs Everton.PNG

Another lacklustre cup performance after we narrowly squeaked past Rochdale in the previous round. It was even closer this time, as we had to take the penalty route following going behind to Championship opposition, who were also eventually reduced to 10 men. The responsibility turned to Bertrand Traore to finish the decisive penalty and get us over the line.

Injury Update
Monthly Injury Report 2.PNG

We certainly aren't short of injuries yet again with Coleman being the latest casualty in the cup. Richarlison was also injured and even goalkeeper Jordan Pickford picked up a knock.

Monthly Manager Performance Summary 4.PNG

The board remained pleased with my performance so far. Understandably, their upset with that loss to Watford and also Jefferson Lerma seems to be struggling to settle into the team. Personally, I think he's been decent and will be getting better. However, the players are happy and that should lead to some more positive performances from the team.

League Table
League Table 2.PNG

I just realised that I didn't put in the league table for the last update - apologies! Regardless, we sit 8th in the table now and Southampton are the shock side leading the way after the 7 games, helped by a 3-0 win over Chelsea! At the bottom, Leicester and Burnley are still winless, while Tottenham haven't yet found their feet in a side still managed by Mauricio Pochettino in this save.

Decent start all things considered!
My thoughts exactly mate, I think if we can continue in this vein of form and just omit those poor types of results against clubs such as Watford we'll be looking pretty solid.

Doing quite well so far I'll definitely be following . I've a Everton save at the moment where I'm in my 3rd season.

October 5th 2019
'Mediocrity'

Photo.PNG

Dominic Calvert-Lewin scores a brace as Everton beat Chelsea 3-1 in Duncan Ferguson's first match in charge

Matchday 8 - Everton vs Crystal Palace
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Sidibe (Holgate, 77), Keane, Kehrer, Digne, Lerma, Davies, Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Bernard (Gomes, 68), Kean
Everton vs Crystal Palace.PNG

A solid win over Crystal Palace as Moise Kean continues his fine form in front of goal. He's been a key man so far and at the tender age of 19 is already our main striker so he can become a world class talent. In case you're wondering about the blue highlighting over Digne's name, I have added the Player of the Match feature to games and he was our best player today.

Matchday 9 - Southampton vs Everton

Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Sidibe (Holgate, 75), Keane, Kehrer, Digne, Davies (Lerma, 75), Gomes, Traore (Bernard, 46), Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Kean
Southampton vs Everton.PNG

Normally a draw against Southampton for a side like Everton would be considered a bang average result, but in this fixture, the Saints came into the game top of the Premier League ladder, so I was satisfied with holding them to a 1-1 draw. We could've even won the game, but Thilo Kehrer missed a free header late in the game which could've settled it in our favour. However, a good match and the draw was likely a fair outcome.

Matchday 10 - Everton vs Arsenal
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Sidibe (Holgate, 69), Keane, Kehrer, Digne, Davies (Lerma, 69), Gomes, Richarlison, Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Simms (Calvert-Lewin, 69)
Everton vs Arsenal.PNG

Moise Kean was kept out of this tie with injury and Dominic Calvert-Lewin was only suitable for 40 minutes, so young striker Ellis Simms was given a go up top for a big match against Arsenal. Unfortunately for the youngster, he put in a below par debut, resulting in me risking Calvert-Lewin's knock for the last 20 minutes. The result was tight, but we deserved to lose the game, albeit that we did drop the points late on.

Carabao Cup 4th Round - Manchester United vs Arsenal
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Sidibe, Keane, Kehrer, Digne, Lerma, Gomes, Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Bernard (Davies, 56), Richarlison
CC Man Utd vs Everton.PNG

I spoke earlier about our performances being poor in the Carabao Cup and in a difficult tie, this is the worst I've ever seen us play. We didn't have a single shot let alone one on target. Somehow, we forced it to penalties but deservedly were eliminated from the competition. Thankfully though, the board aren't too concerned and neither am I.

Injury Update
Injuries.PNG

Injuries are still affecting us but thankfully its starting to lighten and Moise Kean returning should help our strikeforce return to its best form.

Monthly Manager Performance Summary 5.PNG

The board are satisfied but the support has slightly decreased and they're still upset with the earlier defeat to Watford. Hopefully, I can remedy that next month when we have slightly more favourable fixtures.

League Table
League Table 3.PNG

We're right in the middle of the table but having faced a number of bigger sides, we should be able to face some more of the sides below us and hopefully that means a good run of form which propels us higher up the table. Southampton are still n the top four while Liverpool and Manchester United are yet to taste defeat. Leicester are starting to recover, while Burnley are firmly rooted to the bottom without a win.

Attachments

• Southampton vs Everton.PNG
    Southampton vs Everton.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Everton vs Arsenal.PNG
    Everton vs Arsenal.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 98
  • CC Man Utd vs Everton.PNG
    CC Man Utd vs Everton.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 82
Cheers mate. Hopefully the good form can continue. Out of interest, how are you doing in your save?

Doing Ok if I do say so myself. 6th and League Cup winners 1st season. 2nd season out of all cups in the 1st round we enetered, 1st knockout of Europa League but won the league, or more accuarately Liverpool lost the league. Not too far into 3rd season as yet. Kean scores for fun

Doing Ok if I do say so myself. 6th and League Cup winners 1st season. 2nd season out of all cups in the 1st round we enetered, 1st knockout of Europa League but won the league, or more accuarately Liverpool lost the league. Not too far into 3rd season as yet. Kean scores for fun
Well I wouldn't mind one bit if I replicated that myself - very nice job there!

2nd November 2019
'A Streak of Form Put Together'

Photo.PNG

Andre Gomes celebrates following his goal against Wolverhampton Wanderers despite a 3-1 defeat

Matchday 11 - Everton vs Aston Villa
Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Coleman*, Keane, Kehrer, Digne, Davies, Gomes, Richarlison (Lerma, 64), Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Kean (Calvert-Lewin, 64)
Everton vs Aston Villa.PNG

We began with a convincing victory against Aston Villa via a double from Alex Iwobi and a stoppage time goal from Andre Gomes. A well deserved win and we have a much shorter month this time around, so the fitness levels of the players should be higher. In fairness, the match was won and lost based on the clinical finishing from our side compared to theirs.

Matchday 12 - Brighton vs Everton

Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Coleman (Sidibe, 58), Keane, Kehrer (Holgate, 58), Digne, Davies, Gomes, Richarlison (Traore, 58), Sigurdsson, Iwobi*, Kean
Brighton vs Everton.PNG

A cracker of a game for the neutrals here! It was packed with action at both ends, almost 50 shots combined and plenty of goalmouth action. A triple substitution in the 58th minute by myself changed the game as we shored up the defence and the electric Bertrand Traore came on to change the game. His pace allowed other players to get in the game and he set up the winner for Andre Gomes.

Matchday 13 - Everton vs Wolves

Line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Coleman, Holgate (Mina, 72), Keane, Digne, Davies, Gomes*, Richarlison, Sigurdsson (Lerma, 72), Bernard, Kean (Calvert-Lewin, 72)
Everton vs Wolves.PNG

I decided to go with a triple substitution again and it worked - again! Once again, Andre Gomes netted the late winner and as a result we a narrow win against a strong Wolves side. They did dominate us but wasted a lot of shooting opportunities and we seem to be taking ours at the moment as we did again here. A fine result to round out the month.

A side note: When I have matches on the 1st of the next month, they get included in the 'Monthly Manager Performance Summary' of the next month, so when I have games on the 1st of the next month as I do for all of the next 3, I won't include the summary as it will likely spoil a result.

Injury Update

Injuries.PNG

The injuries are narrowing but a key player, Alex Iwobi, picked up a major injury and will be out for a few games.

League Table
League Table.PNG
We remain in and around 8th spot which is decent. We've a packed December up next and contrary to just the 3 fixtures this month, we've a total of 7 in the next. Burnley are yet to win still, while Liverpool remain in 1st spot.

Attachments

• Brighton vs Everton.PNG
    Brighton vs Everton.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 77
Pre-January Update
'Awards, Youth and More Awards'

Moise Kean.PNG

Moise Kean, tipped to be a world class youngster, struggles following his arrival from Juventus

Manager of the Month
Manager of the Month.PNG

Following a series of wins last month through all our matches, I pick up my first ever Manager of the Month award. I've beaten the big two managers of the competition to win the award and a bit of personal satisfaction for myself, with the board also congratulating me.

Youth Intake Preview
Youth Intake Preview.PNG

We also had a little preview to our youth intake. It was mostly good news and we're likely to have a good youth intake coming through. We've a right-back coming through who is said to have a good potential.The only disappointment was a lack of good strikers which I may have included in the team if I got some gems.

Best U21's Men Player and Golden Boy
Best U21 Men's Player.PNG
Golden Boy.PNG

Moise Kean powered himself to two massive awards in football, notably beating the likes Joao Felix, Matthijs De Ligt and Jadon Sancho to the award. He's been immense this season and deservedly gets himself a couple of personal accolades to boost his morale even further. Congratulations to the lad and hopefully he can continue his great form for the club.