Ex-Convict appointed at Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium!

TheVillan

Reaction score
20080819230001_turkish-man.jpg

Barek Gul pictured at high security prison.

July 1st 2009;
I sit here in my cell wondering 'what-if'. I was a talented central forward in my day, Fenerbahce were on my tail and so was Galatasaray and even Tottenham Hotspur was brought up to me in conversation. But.. those days are behind me now. Now I am nothing but a convict, trapped in this 5 foot by 5 foot box. Walking around in circling trying to figure out where I went wrong in life. I am now only 47-years-old, still got a good twenty or so years to live.. if you can call rotting away in a concrete jungle living. I used to have a steady job, a beautiful girlfriend.. I threw all of that away. All of it. For what? Nothing, that's what. I was a talented coach as well, coaching a team in the Turkish first division, not paticularly amazing but still, it was an achievement at my age.. after my dreaded injury. The bars on my cell are slowly shifted sideways, as I turn my head to look at the man standing in the doorway.. visitors perhaps? As the man comes into focus, it's the prison guard with a dirty grin on his face, "come on boy.. it's time for you're daily beating.." I gulp but in some ways I am used to this.. I am used to this madness they call Adana F Tipi Yüksek Güvenlikli Kapalı Ceza İnfaz Kurumu..

July 4th 2009;
They took my book off of me.. mocked me cruelly with it and attacked me. It doesn't bother me anymore, I'm but a cold lifeless human body now. I feel no emotion, I long for the day I get released or bailed.. sniffing the scent of freedom. Being able to go back and live with my family in Istanbul. Meet the grand-kids for the first time, this is what a parent dreams of, the day he meets his new-born grand-kids.. I have been deprived of that duty, for close to nothing. I was sent down for supposedly a mass killing.. as half of the Turkísh mafia were wiped out in one go, I was framed by the real culprit. I pledge my innocence until the day I die. My name is Burak Gul, I support Fenerbahce football club and I am innocent..

July 9th 2009;
I have just recieved word through other prisoners that Fenerbahce manager has just been sacked. Aykut Kocaman has been relieved of his duties at the club.. I hope we find someone good . I have supported Fenerbahce football club all of my life. 47-years of supporting the same team. You could call the lunacy, or commitment. I used to go and watch Fenerbahce with my dad and I used to watch them with my son. Emre. I miss him.. I miss football... I miss living life. One day, I shall get out of this ****-hole. I've got to catch some sleep, visiting day tommorow, my son is coming to see me. After three long months, I finally get the chance to speak to my son.. g'night.

July 10th 2009;
7.30am sharpish, I am awoken by the sound of the guards shouting and screaming for us to wake up. I shake my head, getting to my feet.. the name sake of my son, is my guard, Emre.. he is what you say in England.. a ****. He leads me down the steps, the steel clanging shudders my whole body and the cold steel I feel on my hand is from the railing leading down the stairs to the visiting room.. at least I feel something. I am led into the room and I see the young face of my son, 20-years-old now. "Emre!" I say abit over-excited. He gets to his feet with an enormous grin on his face. He is wearing his Fenerbahce shirt I sent him for his 19th birthday. "Dad! There is great news.. sit.. I must tell you." Emre sits me down and we talk about general things until there's about four minutes left of the visiting meeting. Then he tells me about Fenerbahce boss being sacked. "Good news?!" I say, "How is this good news?" Emre looks around and hushes his tone so only the two of us can hear, I see my guard looking over suspiciously. "Dad, they need a replacement and believe it or not, YOUR in the frame!" My heart skipped a beat, then I snapped back to reality. "Don't be silly, Emre.. don't get you're ol' mans hope's up with no grounds." Emre reveals a newspaper he snook in and he's right! There's a huge picture of me on the front with the headline. "Mahkum Fenerbahçe pozisyon için çerçeve içinde!" Which reads "Convict in frame for Fenerbahce vacancy!" in English. I was shell-shocked and my heart fell into the pit of my stomach. My son began to explain but his visiting time was cut off. As he was led away, he winked at me and said "Wait for the call Dad." I wondered, 'what if...'

images

"I really am among the favourites!"

Fantastic start, I will follow cos I haven't seen many Turkish stories around.

Great OP, remember it's a new line for a new speaker. Other than that, it's brilliant, one of the best stories on the site if you can keep this up!

Great OP, remember it's a new line for a new speaker. Other than that, it's brilliant, one of the best stories on the site if you can keep this up!

Oopsy Daisy :D

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

July 11th 2009;
I am pacing my cell back and forth, thoughts racing through my head.. counting every hour, minute and second. Waiting for the shudder of my cell-door to open.. If I become the new Fenerbahce manager.. I will be able to live again, my whole life renewed. I was itching my thumbs, my stomach was doing summersaults wondering if I would be offered the job.. I looked to the ceiling, looking up to the sky.. looking to God. I pointed up at the sky, speaking in a very hushed tone. "Sen benim tek yargıç vardır .. Benim için bu dünyada .. hiçbirşeyim yok eğer Beni Fenerbahçe ücretsiz olarak yöneticisi yürüyüş sağlar." Which translates to - "You are my only judge.. if you do nothing else for me in this world.. let me walk free as manager of Fenerbahce." As I complete my small prayer, I hear the screeching of the rusty cell doors opening. Emre pops his head round the corner with a grin.
"It's time..."
My heart sinks to the pit of my stomach, I take a deep breath following him out of the room. "Is this really happening?" I think to myself as I am paraded down the long line of cells. They are cheering and chanting my last name. "Gul, Gul, Gul." They say.

I finally reach the meeting room of the high security prison, sitting in there is Aziz Yildrim, chairman of Fenerbahce Football Club. He smiles at me and I return the gesture. "I guess you know why I'm here Burak" He grins.
"Word has spread but I thought it was just a rumour.."
He looks at me, glaring.. "No, it's for real and I'd like to offer you a contract, starting now. We need someone like you, good coaching qualifications, not a whiner and strong mental stability. You will be released from prison immediately pending you accept the contract offer, you've got a new life ol' timer." This was it, I was finally offered the contract, snatching the pen off the table, I scribbled down my signature, I was the new manager of Fenerbahce football club...

200px-Fenerbah%C3%A7e.svg.png

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

July 12th 2009;
Who'd have thought it, new manager of Fenerbahce, major Turkish power.. ex-convict Burak Gul, well. Still technically a convict seeing's as I haven't been released from prison yet, however I am officially the new manager. Today we have our first friendly against English lower league side Rochdale and hopefully we manage to pull off a victory. We should do with the quality of players we have, apparently previous manager Kocaman brought in full back Richie De-Laet from Manchester United on a loan before he left, which is handy seeings as we don't really have a great left back and unfortunately he sold Emre for £6 million to Shalke. Which is another blow, but we can handle it. We have a strong enough squad and in less than 24 hours, I had to quickly make a starting 11 and 12 subs. Instead of me managing the game here, my assistant manager will take the game. Just this second I've had news come in that already one of my own signings has been completed! The £6.5 million swoop for unwanted Juve midfielder Tiago. The Portugal international is a class signing. My mind has already been taken over by the football. This is working perfectly..

Match: Fenerbahce 3 ; 0 Rochdale
Scorers: Semih Senturk '17 '42 ; Alex '22 Pen
Man of the Match: Colin Kazim-Richards

'1 Volkan
'3 Gonal - '4 Sertac Eren - '5 Lugano - '3 André Santos
'9 Colin Kazim-Richards - '7 Tiago - '6 Mehmet Topaz - '10 Misroslav Stoch
'8 Alex
'11 Semih Senturk
July 12th 2009;

Results just come back and couldn't be more happier with the result. I heard Kazim-Richards was on fire, and Semih Senturk's finishing was class. So overall I'm happy and it means tonight, I can go to sleep happy. Tommorow, I am free. I will get the first plane over to England and meet up with the backroom staff and players and tell them what a fantastic job they have done. This looks to be the tactic we should be playing.. I've seen a few highlights and am very happy.. This is starting to make up for all those years, I lost in the prison. All those sleepless nights wondering if I'll get out of here, knowing now I will is amazing and a new job to go with it. £31,500 a week will get me a new house, clothes, a new identity.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:03 PM ----------

July 14th 2009;
I sit in the room of my old house, my family visited me today before I jetted off to England. Some still think I committed the crime, which I didn't. My son Emre accepts me with open arms, I relive the moment just for a split second before I am left in a room, a cold room, alone again. I look to my case, already packed and ready to go, I have already bought a whole case full of new clothes and have already bought a laptop with the £31,500 I got for this week's pay packet. I have already bought two tickets for the plane to England tommorow. One for me and my son, Emre is coming with me, and he's going to stay with me in Turkey. I have already put an offer in for a house, a 2-bedroom house, worth £400,000. I am loving the money, I am loving the fresh air.. I'm loving the renewed life this job has given me..
<-;->

July 15th 2009;
I have just arrived at my luxury hotel in the centre of Southampton, granted I'll only be there for two nights but still, a fantastic hotel. My son is so excited and although I'm generally concealing it, I'm excited too. As I got through the door of my room in the hotel, I leapt onto the bed, almost jizzing myself over the spring. As soon as I got into the room, I heard a knock on the door though, as Emre opened the door, there stood Fenerbahce skipper Alex. He nodded to me and walked through the door after my son politely offered him in. He came and sat down next to me on my bed. He offered his hand, I took his hand shaking it firmly. "Finally I get to put a face to the name, welcome to Fenerbahce football club, I look forward to playing under you sir." Sir? I hadn't been called sir in the best part of 20 years.. not even my son. I had a huge smile on my face.
"Ahh, you must be my captain.. Alex. I've seen so many of you're tapes and watched you so many times in real life it's unreal. I'm so glad finally to have met you sir. You will be my star player.. go and get some rest, early start tommorow, tell the rest of the boys, up at six, short training at nine, kick off at half two."
He grimaced slightly but nodded his head and walked out of the room, Emre was still sitting in the corner absouloutely gobsmacked and he grinned at me. "I love it here, Dad."
"I love it too son, I love it too."

<-;->

July 15th 2009;
My alarm went off, I sighed turning my head to look at the clock. "6am." It read mockingly, I grimaced but pulled myself out of bed, throwing my water bottle at Emre to wake him up. He got out his bed not knowing where he is - I quickly got changed and walked down to where the team was supposedly staying. They were all up and ready in full tracksuits and everything. "I love this team." I thought to myself as I was introduced by club-captain and vice-captain, Alex and Senih Senturk. I had a chat with the team about tactics and pros/cons of the performance at Rochdale and lead them down to breakfast. I was wearing my pinstriped Armani suit, with my new Gold rolex wrapped around my right wrist.. new clothes for a new man, I thought on buying them. We had a quick team meeting, I glanced at my rolex, "8;07" I told them they have the best part of an hour, to relax and get ready for a quick training session. We then dispursed.

<-;->

First Training Session - For our first training session, I thought it would be good to have a look at the players. So I quickly organised a warm-up excersise and set-up a 7-a-side pitch. "Let's see what they can produce now.." I thought to myself as my son Emre picked the teams for them. Right winer Colin Kazim-Richards looks like a class player and after being told he's on 23, I grinned happily. Also players who stood out were Uruguayan defender Lugano and Turkish central midfielder, Mehmut Topuz who struck the ball so cleanly, I was excited by his prospects. I told the boys, they had until 1pm to do what they wanted at the end of the session, and to be ready for the bus at 1pm at the entrance of the hotel. They all nodded, looking ready for a game. I knew my starting line-up but the question was, did they?

<-;->

yes! , a Fenerbahce story :D

Haha, I take it by that, you'rl be following? Southampton match update v. soon!

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Match: Fenerbahce 3 ; 3 Southampton
Scorers: Diego Lugano '14 ; Guiza '45+1 ; Miroslav Stoch '54
Man of the Match:
Miroslav Stoch
'1 Volkan
'3 Gonal - '4 Sertac Eren - '5 Lugano - '3 André Santos
'9 Colin Kazim-Richards - '7 Tiago - '6 Mehmet Topaz - '10 Misroslav Stoch
'8 Alex
'11 Guiza

July 16th 2009;
I fielded the same side that romped Rochdale last time out apart from Guiza coming in for the injured Senih Senturk. We converted our chances and three should have been enough for us but unfortunately, we really couldn't defend properly and we lacked basic defensive attributes. Although, we should have won the match, the performance is more important than the result and we shown we are a good side - a team definately hard to lock horns with.

<-;->

yes very much so,
a tip: sell Bilica his very useless next to Lugano IMO

I saw him yeah, he's poor. I'm play Sertac Eren alongside Lugano at the moment but I'm going to get someone in the January transfer window. Also, this month there is one goal left, a Europa League qualifier, then next month, 2nd August I have a match vs, Benfica, Turkish Super Cup, wish should be interesting!

July 23rd 2009;
A week to the day after the Southampton game in England and I'm feeling so good about my life at the moment. I've really got my life back on track.. I've recently moved into my new luxury house based in a prime location in Turkey, it is right by the Fenerbahce home ground and is absouloutely gorgeous. Me and my son are thouroughly enjoying living there and training has restarted too. Looking forward to third round of qualifying for the Europa League against Swiss Team, Vaduz. Cannot wait the boys are really geared up for this game!

123595986_1.jpg

--------------------------------------

Competition: 3rd Qualifying Round Europa League 1/2
Match: Fenerbahce 7 ; 1 Vaduz
Scorers: Alex '6 ; Guiza '11 ; Colin Kazim-Richards '17, '74 ; Semih Senturk '29 ; Tiago '38 ; Gokhan Unal '89
Man of the Match:
Colin Kazim-Richards

'1 Volkan
'77 Gonal - '29 Sertac Eren - '2 Lugano - '27 André Santos
'30 Tiago - '66 Mehmet Topaz
'10 Alex
'9 Guiza - '8 Colin Kazim-Richards - '23 Semih Senturk

July 30th 2009;
Today, I opted for a new formation and it worked like a charm, playing three strikers was fantastic with skipper Alex behind them worked like a treat. Colin Kazim-Richards was top-class today, scoring twice to bury Vaduz and putting any chance of an upset to bed. A fantastic start to the round but it's over now, surely.

<-;->

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 AM ----------

August 1st 2009;
This is it, this time tommorow I'll either be holding silverware or wishing I had silverware. We play a good side in Besiktas but we are the favourites in the bookies at the current moment in time and coming off that fantastic 7 - 1 victory over Vaduz, we're oozing with confidence, I will look to start the same team in the Super Cup final and hopefully they can go the job! 1-3 favourites are Fenerbahce.

Competition: Turkish Super Cup Final
Match: Fenerbahce 4 ; 1 Besiktas
Scorers: Mehmet Topuz '24 Pen, '49 ; Diego Lugano '39 ; Guiza '55
Man of the Match:
Mehmet Topuz

'1 Volkan
'77 Gonal - '29 Sertac Eren - '2 Lugano - '27 André Santos
'10 Alex

August 2nd 2009;
I sit in the dressing room sitting next the the tall silver trophy. A smile creeps across my face as I read previous winners Galatasaray, Besiktas Trabzonspor. These great Turkish teams but Feneberbahce is now no the trophy YET again. A fantastic performance from the boys, Topuz was especially good.

<-;->

Fenerbahce win Turkish Super Cup!

Burak Gul has already masterminded his first silverware of the season, the ex-convict has already lead his team to Turkish Super Cup success and defeated Vaduz in the Europa League. However, now he looks to push on and take this form into the league with him. Top players recently are Colin Kazim-Richards, Mehmet Topuz and Diego Lugano.

Gul has also come out and stated, "I want to win every cup that is going on." A bold statement from the former jailee. The lads are not only getting the results but getting the results in style too. One man who has not been happy by the current state of things at the club is Miroslav Stoch. Who is annoyed as he has been dropped. Gul simply said "I'm the manager, I'll play him, when I want too, not anyone else."

<-;->

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

August 2009

August 6th 2009;
Ahead of the match at the weekend against Gencle, I am set to rest up to four player. Richie De Laet will play his first game and Gokhan Unal will start after coming on and getting a goal against Vaduz last time. Ozer Hurmaci will come in to rest club-captain Alex and Ilhan Eker is given a game in for Sertac Eren. We are all set to just win this game comfortably unlike the drubbing we gave them at they're place.

<-;->

Competition: 3rd Qualifying Round Europa League 2/2
Match: Fenerbahce 7 ; 1 Vaduz
Scorers: Mehmet Topuz '7, '58 ; Rainer Vautner OG '10 ; Guiza '27 Pen, '55 ; Gokhan Unal '33 ; Colin Kazim-Richards '68
Man of the Match:
Mehmet Topuz

'1 Volkan
'77 Gonal - '3 Ilhan Eker - '2 Lugano - '27 Richie De Laet
'28 Gurhan Gorsoy - '66 Mehmet Topuz
'20 Ozer Hurmaci
'9 Guiza - '8 Colin Kazim-Richards - '11 Gokhan Unal

<-;->

August 6th 2009;
Extremely happy again with the performance, another seven goals, letting in two but that makes the aggregate score 14 - 3 which I am delighted with. Strikers were clinical and again stand in captain Mehmet Topuz was sensational and buried two insanely good strikes. Everyone comes back in now and we are ready for the challenge on the 9th in our first Turkish League game. I now have learned we will play a Hungarian team going by the name of Honved.

<-;->

Competition: Turkish Premier League 1/36
Match: Fenerbahce 2 ; Genaclerbirigli
Scorers: Guiza '44 ; Mehmet Topuz '78
Man of the Match:
Guiza

'1 Volkan
'77 Gonal - '29 Sertac Eren - '2 Lugano - '6 De Laet
'10 Alex

<-;->

August 9th 2009;
A breezy day was the stage of the opening day of the season, a sell out crowd came to watch Fenerbahce's first game of the new season and they would go home delighted. My boys were exceptional, Guiza hit the back of the net as did Mehmet Topuz who again played very well. We've got a full week to recover before we play Besiktas in the league which should be a fiesty encounter considering our recent victory over them at the Turkish Super Cup final.

<-;->

August 13th 2009;
Well, it's been a full month since I was released and what a roller coaster ride i have been put through by Fenerbahce and my family. My son Emre has found a girlfriend, she's 20 like he is and she is beautiful, her name is Afet which means 'lovable'. I've been going out more recently as well and have recently quit smoking. I love this job at the moment with some good victories and am set to field an unchanged side against Besiktas at the weekend. The lads are proving they're worth and I'm not one to stop them.

86py004.jpg

<-;->

Competition: Turkish Premier League 2/36
Match: Fenerbahce 1 ; 1 Besiktas
Scorers: Mehmet Topuz '85
Man of the Match:
Guiza

'1 Volkan
'10 Alex

August 16th 2009;
A decent performance, maybe lacking something down the left side with Queresma and Holosko dominating young De Laet but apart from that decent performance, a few long range shots from Topuz were stopped and headers went over the bar a few times but that is the way it is and glad we equalised and made sure we walked away still with our unbeaten streak in one piece.

Will complete August later.

Competition: 4th Qualifying Round Europa League 1/2
Match: Fenerbahce 2 ; 0 Honvéd
Scorers: Colin Kazim-Richards '25 ; Diego Lugano '90+6
Man of the Match:
Diego Lugano
'1 Volkan
'77 Gonal - '29 Sertag Eren - '2 Lugano - '27 Richie De Laet
'28 Gurhan Gorsoy - '66 Mehmet Topuz
'20 Ozer Hurmaci
'9 Guiza - '8 Colin Kazim-Richards - '11 Gokhan Unal

<-;->

Competition: Turkish Premier League 3/36
Match: Fenerbahce 6 ; 1 Eskisehispor
Scorers: Guiza '11, '73, '85 Pen ; Tiago '44 ; Own Goal '53 ; Mehmet Topuz '62
Man of the Match: Guiza

'1 Volkan
'10 Alex

<-;->

Competition: 4th Qualifying Round Europa League 2/2
Match: Fenerbahce 2 ; 0 Honvéd
Scorers: Alex '29 ; Diego Lugano '43 Colin Kazim-Richards '45 ; Semih Senturk '65 ; Tiago '74
Man of the Match: Alex

'1 Volkan

'10 Alex

<-;->

Competition: Turkish Premier League 4/36
Match: Fenerbahce 4 ; 0 Antalyaspor
Scorers: Colin Kazim-Richards '24 ; Guiza '40 ; Gurhan Gursoy '46 ; Diego Lugano '85
Man of the Match: Diego Lugano

'1 Volkan
'10 Alex

<-;->

Turkish Player of the Month
1) Mehmet Topuz ; Fenerbahce.
2) Guiza ; Fenerbahce.
3) Theo Weeks ; Gaziantepspor

WILL COMPLETE UPDATE LATER ; 8 GAMES IN 1 MONTH IS HARD ; COMPLETED UPDATE IN MORNING - SUNDAY MORNING <3

Yes . Good Story . I'am a Fenerbahçe fan.