Ex-Referee Jeff Winter Criticises Sir Alex Ferguson's 'Double Standards'

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmonkey

Reaction score
Ex-Referee Jeff Winter Criticises Sir Alex Ferguson's 'Double Standards' & Hopes Manchester United Boss Receives Four-Match Ban

Scot's statements after Chelsea game were "jaw-dropping"

By Adithya Ananth

http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?...oss Receives Four-Match Ban - Goal.com&src=sp http://www.google.com/buzz/post

94370_news.jpg

Former referee Jeff Winter believes Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson should receive a four-match ban for his comments concerning Martin Atkinson.

The Red Devils boss only recently defended Wayne Rooney's elbow on Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy, claiming that referee Mark Clattenburg was the only man to come out of the incident with any credit, but then took aim at Atkinson for not sending off Chelsea defender David Luiz when United took on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

And former referee Winter has hit out at Ferguson, claiming his hypocrisy is "jaw-dropping", and accused the Scot of undermining officials' careers.

"Very early in my Premier League career I sent Roy Keane off and incurred Fergie's wrath for doing so," said Winter, according to The Sun.

"In the course of the next two seasons I did not get a single Manchester United game, even though I refereed every other Premier League club at least five or six times. I was not afraid to stand up to him and I think he knew that.

"With his latest remarks, Fergie has probably de-selected Martin Atkinson for the potential title decider with Arsenal."

He added: "The double standards Alex Ferguson demonstrated in the space of a few days are jaw-dropping.

"But he cannot be allowed to escape punishment for his remarks about Martin Atkinson, saying he was not a fair referee and that he 'feared the worst' before their game against Chelsea.

"The FA have been accused of lacking what it takes to deal with the big names and big clubs - it happened again after Rooney got away with elbowing James McCarthy - and they need to grow a pair and make an example of Fergie.

"He got a £20,000 fine and a two-match ban with another two matches suspended for his remarks about Alan Wiley last season.

"The suspended part of that sentence does not run out until the end of this season. So you have to feel a four-match ban is the absolute minimum he should receive this time."

Do we *really* need 3/4 threads all covering the same topic? Just add it to one of the other threads about his rant.

Fergie is a bit like Wenger not very gracious in defeat.

Although Martin Atkinson is one of the worst Referess atfer Uriah Rennie, Fergie had no right to publicly humilate him like that. How many times can Fergie get away with stuff like this?

Martin Atkinson is one of the worst Referess atfer Uriah Rennie

Racist.

But LOL at Jeff Winter getting involved. He was just as **** as Atkinson.

well he's gettin charged so, pretty much non-story. as has been said many times now, criticism is misplaced.

Oh lol. Sorry mate one of them days.
But that really was the main reason ;)
Wasnt hidden very well though as you seen straight through me! Lol

Most manager's would have received a touchline ban, but it is Ferguson and his next game is against Liverpool. He was never gonna get a ban.

Most manager's would have received a touchline ban, but it is Ferguson and his next game is against Liverpool. He was never gonna get a ban.
already a thread. but you're wrong. he can still get a ban. but by pleading not guilty he pushes any ban beyond the liverpool game, becuase of his appeal. sorry, there is no united cnspiracy here just the rules

Status
Not open for further replies.