Expert tactical advise/help please

aXKOTRT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some help setting up my Liverpool team for the new season. I've played some FM games before (06, 08, 10, 12, 13) I like to play Liverpool as it's often better than the reality (ala this season).

I have done okay in the past and in general think I'm familiar with most of the controls etc I tend to either win the premier league (If I get the best out of a key player who doesn't get injured) or get sacked and the occasional meet expectation which in recent games has been 5th or there or there a bouts (so not much consistency).

Okay I've wrote and re-wrote a few times so I'll keep it simple and if you guys require some specific information please let me know.

I like possession football

I like to play 4-2-3-1

I'm not really familiar with how to make a 4-4-2 mid field work effectively at the top level, I probably have more of a Spanish outlook on football than English.

I like hard working players who press and I think Liverpool have a few of those (Henderson, Allen, Borini, and Lambert)

I'd expect Sturridge to get my goals and I would expect either Coutinho or Gerrard to get the assists depending on the system.

Can you help?

Thanks

John

A 4-2-3-1 is fine but you definitely need to have the two central midfielders be more supporting than attacking. I'd have one support and one ballwinning defensive. Don't do an inside forward role for the attacking outside players. They'll have no impact defensively, and will leave your full-backs exposed. Don't have attacking full-backs, They'll get burned on the break. Support will do just fine, although if you can train their moves to get forward whenever possible, that might be useful. 4-2-3-1 is possession play, so drawing your opponents out before slicing them with through passes or overlaps is the way you get goals. Move into channels and roaming for your front 4 are all things you'll want to do as well. As for defensive play, one ball playing defender and one set to do nothing but pass it off short before getting back to marking inside his opponents underwear will be enough. Both to defend, and I've mentioned the full-backs already. Have your keeper distribute quickly, and setting him to sweepkeep if he's not bad on the ball will be a good idea as you're likely to be hit on the break a lot.

Apart from that, you'll have to work the rest out by trial and error. Give every change a few games to take, as one bad game might not mean that the tactic is useless, just not fluid against a well organised opponent. Marking and OI leave to your asst or coach, but do close down opponent's defenders and show them onto the weak foot if they're one footed. If you see someone with bravery less than 10, consider tackling hard on them, providing you don't have a player that is a bit too dirty for his own good. Vary your tempo occasionally, as it can make opponents weaknesses show themselves, and in a game it can prevent your team from dropping dead from exhaustion.

Thanks for the reply.

I've learned a few things there. With regards to the wide players can they be told to cut inside (as Wingers, without having a negative impact on defence) or do they need to stay wide? It's one of Raheems PPM's for example. I do think I concede to many goals from leaving the back four to exposed sometimes so will definitely be implementing that.

Thinking about the roles required then Gerrard will need to be the supporting player but most of the others are quite interchangeable with just 1-2 important attributes to improve a stat or two.

Defensively I've always played with supporting or automatic fullbacks for the same reason you mentioned. In the centre I play a stopper, cover system and sweeper keeper so think we're quite like minded and most of my problems start further up the pitch defensively.

With regards to the other 2 up front the (AMC and ST) I intend to play the strikers in there best roles which I think should suit the system depending on the game.

Daniel Sturridge, Fabio Borini - Poachers - attack
Baloteli - Terquarista - attack
Lambert - Target Man - attack

This says to me that the AMC needs to be a supporting player or can one of the wingers do that to provide balance?

Thanks again, I think with this I can put together the primary tactic for the season.

Cheers

John

When I have built a 4-2-3-1 in the past, I stagger out the players I keep wide and narrow. If I have my AMR sitting narrow, I have my DR out wide. Since my AMR is Narrow, my AML is out wide and my DL sits narrow. Because I like my FB's to attack, it ensures that I do not have my FB's running into my wingers when they come forward. Also, my wide players (1 AM and 1 FB) I set to cross from the byline. That keeps them from sneaking in as often. I will usually go with a Tre and Poacher for my middle attackers and a DLP(S) and BWM(D) in the midfield.

To get the best out of a system in fm 2015 you need to use player roles and dutys more than ever... I started with my formation 4-2-3-1.. Then placed my first 11 to the positions keeping them as close to their comfort zone as possible.. Form there you can see their best role and what duty, i found on a few tactics that I have created this works, just setting team instructions and leaving player instructions so a system stays compact, playing players out of posistion and in a role they don't know will punish your tactic unless the individual player can cope with this

When I have built a 4-2-3-1 in the past, I stagger out the players I keep wide and narrow. If I have my AMR sitting narrow, I have my DR out wide. Since my AMR is Narrow, my AML is out wide and my DL sits narrow. Because I like my FB's to attack, it ensures that I do not have my FB's running into my wingers when they come forward. Also, my wide players (1 AM and 1 FB) I set to cross from the byline. That keeps them from sneaking in as often. I will usually go with a Tre and Poacher for my middle attackers and a DLP(S) and BWM(D) in the midfield.

I was originally thinking of playing the Winger and an Inside forward combination as I don't have a natural left sided winger in the whole squad. I have players who can play there accomplished but, I'm not sure it gets the best out of them. It kind of reminds me of when we played it with the Rafa Team of 2009 with Kuyt playing a slightly different role on the right to the usual winger on the left (Often Reira).

When you say the fullback out wide, what do you mean by this? I'm not sure I know how to achieve this. I was planning on playing them both supporting or automatic.

Completely with you on the middle two MC's. I was planning on playing a AMC using advanced play-maker because they both have very good dribbling ability. Will this be to many cooks with Gerrard as the DLP?

To get the best out of a system in fm 2015 you need to use player roles and dutys more than ever... I started with my formation 4-2-3-1.. Then placed my first 11 to the positions keeping them as close to their comfort zone as possible.. Form there you can see their best role and what duty, i found on a few tactics that I have created this works, just setting team instructions and leaving player instructions so a system stays compact, playing players out of posistion and in a role they don't know will punish your tactic unless the individual player can cope with this

Yeah the roles I'll be picking on the whole suit the team well. My main concern now is making those roles into an effective system. I've found from FM13 actually that if you play them out of their roles it can often have pretty bad consequences, you could get away with it maybe the odd game if your short of players due to injuries but on the whole now.

I tend to only make individual player instruction changes only during games and only if I or my assistant notices a good reason to as it can sometimes over complicate and typically when I take over the team doesn't understand my new tactics for a while..

Set them to Run Wide with Ball for Possession and Movement set to Stay Wider

It shouldn't cause you much of a headache. You could always train them to stay wide if you want.