MisterStubbs

Reaction score

Manchester-United-Vs-Manchester-City.jpg

F.A Community Shield 2011
Wembley Stadium, London
14:30 Kick Off
Sky Sports One|HD
Referee: Phil Dowd
This weekend the football season officially begins with the season annual curtain raiser, the F.A Community Shield takes place at the home of football, Wembley Stadium. This season see's Premier League champions Manchester United who won the Community Shield 12 months ago after a 3-1 victory against Chelsea take on arch City rivals and F.A Cup winners Manchester City clash in a repeat of last seasons F.A Cup semi-final in which the Blue side of Manchester went home smiling after a 1-0 victory. The Community Shield is often seen as just a glamour friendly but one things for sure, there will be nothing friendly when the Manchester rivals lock horns in London.

Manchester City:

After ending the barron 35 year wait for a trophy last season by winning the F.A Cup against Stoke City, Manchester City will want to carry on building the clubs history by adding the Community Shield this season. Roberto Mancini's men now have the hunger and desire to go on to bigger and better things this season on both domestic and European fronts this season. Despite having a summer of confusion surrounding Carlos Tevez and his desire to leave the newly named Etihad Stadium the Citizans have brought in three players sure to strenghten their title bid. Left back Gael Clichy joins from Arsenal looking to take the left back spot from Aleksandar Kolarov whilst young Montenegro defender Stefan Savic joins from Partizan Belgrade. Possibly the biggest transfer of the season though see's Argentine striker Sergio Aguero join from Athletico Madrid for £38,000,000 who is sure to be an instant success with the City fans. Can the Fergie claimed "noisey neighbours" reach even higher heights this season?

Manchester United:
After winning their 19th Premier League title last season, Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils made history last season by becomming the most successful English league team. Although the season didn't end all in happiness for Manchester United fans as they fell short again against Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League final at Wembley. This Sunday see's Fergie's men return to the scene of that 3-1 defeat against the Catalan giants to face there City rivals Manchester City looking for revenge on last seasons 1-0 defeat in the F.A Cup semi-final. Manchester United have been surprisingly busy this summer with no less than three signings. During the summer, Manchester United lost both Edwin Van der Sar and Paul Scholes to retirement whilst midfielder Owen Hargreaves lost his battle against long term injury and was released by the Old Trafford club. Long servinging players Wes Brown and John O'Shea both also left Old Trafford by joining Premier League rivals Sunderland. Sir Alex has moved quickly however by signing young England center back Phil Jones from Blackburn Rovers and England international Ashley Young from Aston Villa whilst young Spanish goalkeeper David de Gea joins from Athletico Madrid. Can Sir Alex's men enjoy another season off success?

Team News:

Manchester City:
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is set for a selection headache when it comes to picking his starting 11 for this Sundays clash with Manchester United. Mancini's men who recently beat Italian giants Inter Milan 3-0 in the Dublin Cup have a near to full strenght squad to choose from. Strikers Eden Dzeko and Mario Balotelli both scored against Inter Milan and will be hoping for a starting place at Wembley whilst new signings Stefan Savic and Gael Clichy are set to feature although Sergio Aguero could miss out missing both games in the Dublin Cup and the open training session City held today infront of their fans at the Etihad Stadium. Meanwhile experienced defender Kolo Toure is still serving his ban after failing a drug test last season. Forgotten man Shaun Wright-Phillips who impressed during the pre-season could also be pushing for a starting place come Sunday.

Manchester United:
Sir Alex Ferguson, like Mancini could also have a headache selection after a number of players impressed during the clubs pre-season trip to the US. However three players who are sure to miss out are the South American pair of Javier Hernandez, last years fans player of the year and Antonio Valencia who picked up an ankle injury whilst on international duty and Scotland international Darren Flecther who is still struggling to prove his fitness after picking up a virus towards the end of last season are unavailable. Meanwhile, Sir Alex has already announced that midfielder Tom Cleverly could start on Sunday after impressing on the clubs US tour. New signings David de Gea, Phil Jones and Ashley Young are all likely to feature whilst youngster Danny Welbeck may also make an appearance.

Possible Line-ups:
Manchester City:
Hart, Richards, Lescott, Kompany, Clichy, De Jong, Barry, Yaya Toure, Silva, Dzeko, Balotelli (4-2-3-1)

Manchester United:
de Gea, Fabio da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Nani, Carrick, Cleverly, Young, Rooney, Berbatov (4-4-2)

Last 5 games:

Manchester City (W-W-W-W-W)
Manchester City 3-0 Inter Milan
Manchester City 3-0 Airtricity XI
Manchester City 1-1 L.A Galaxy (Man City won 7-6 on penalties)
Manchester City 2-1 Vancouver Whitecaps
Manchester City 2-0 Club America

Manchester United (W-W-W-W-W)
Manchester United 2-1 Barcelona
Manchester United 4-0 MLS All Stars
Manchester United 3-1 Chicago Fire
Manchester United 7-0 Seattle Sounders
Manchester United 4-1 New England Revolution

My Prediction:
This game has all the makings to be a classic. Two City teams fighting for bragging rights and a the first peice of silverwear to be had this season. After a tight affair, I reckon Manchester United will come away 2-1 winners in normal time. Am really looking forward to seeing Ashley Young and David de Gea in action up close whilst hoping Wayne Rooney continues his fine pre-season form to when it really matters.

Manchester United 2-1 Manchester City
Wayne Rooney
Yaya Toure
Ashley Young

Last edited:
most likely wont watch, just seems like a friendly

Doesn't really mean anything to me either tbh. Don't even think the players are that bothered about winning the actual shield.

very nice OP. Im going for a slim Man Utd win 1-0

I can understand why fans of neither club see this as just a pre-season friendly but believe me, come Sunday neither set of players or fans won't be treating it at one. It's a chance to show case new signings, send a message to the other and to pick up a bit of silverwear but more importantly, it gives either set of fans the bragging rights till next time we meet.

I suppose this year will be different with it being a derby but I'd still much rather watch a game from the football league that will be on.

If those people arent that interested in watching or hearing about, why post on the thread to say so? Seems kinda pointless

meh, i hope whoever wins doesn't make a big deal out of it, i'm not going .

I'll be watching. Be good to see how Man U's new signings play.

any other year its considered a pre premier league warm up game, but when its city and united there are no friendlies both sides will be all out to win this one, bragging rights to lay down a marker for the upcoming season

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Won't be watching because my gf will be down for the weekend, so will probs record and watch it sunday evening :)

Thinking a 3-1 Win for City. :)

This doesn't count for the Premier League Fantasy game, does it?

I personally see the teams as being very even across the board, so I think it's going to be decided in overtime with United scoring the winning goal.

Would of preferred to watch Chelsea beat a Manchester side but I'll still give it a watch. Should be a decent game with a chance to check out 2 of the 3 title contenders ;)

I'm eagerly awaiting one of the fans who has said "this match won't mean anything" to bring up the Community Shield win in August 2011 if one of the clubs fall into obscurity in the future Nottenham Forest style and the other one stays on top.

Going for a 1-0 Man Utd win. Should be a feisty little affair, and I have a feeling the Noisy Neighbours will just lose-but it will be close. Would like Mr. Rooney do a special goal like he did last year.

Edit - The officiating should be taken into account too. Remains to be seen who the ref will be.

Won't be watching because my gf will be down for the weekend, so will probs record and watch it sunday evening :)

Thinking a 3-1 Win for City. :)

Wash your mouth out!

Say Hi to Jo for me (about frigging time you called her your g/f)

Close 2-1 united

Going for a 1-0 Man Utd win. Should be a feisty little affair, and I have a feeling the Noisy Neighbours will just lose-but it will be close. Would like Mr. Rooney do a special goal like he did last year.

Edit - The officiating should be taken into account too. Remains to be seen who the ref will be.

Good shout mate, I don't believe the referee has actually been announced yet, I certainly couldn't find out anyway.. if anybody knows different could you please let me know so I can include in OP thanks.

Wont be watching as the side im player/manager for Lanyards F.C will be playing our 2nd pre-season game. I cant look past Utd for this, im predicting a 1-0 Utd win Nani with the goal.