FA sanctions retrospective action on foul play

Mike.

Staff member
Reaction score
[h=1]FA sanctions retrospective action on foul play[/h]

• 124141087_football_395843c.jpg
    McManaman would not get away with this tackle this seasonAlan Wright/Focus Images

Matt Hughes Deputy Football Correspondent
Last updated at 5:02PM, July 12 2013

The FA outlined its determination to clamp down on dangerous tackling yesterday by confirming an amendment to its constitution that will give the governing body the authority to take retrospective disciplinary action from next season.
In response to the furore last season over Callum McManaman, the FA has closed a loophole in its rulebook that will permit the sanctioning of players who have escaped punishment for serious foul play because the incidents were partially seen by match officials.
From next month, the FA will the have right to take retrospective action and impose a punishment when match officials have not been in a position to fully assess a “coming together” of players, even if it does constitute serious foul play, such as Ben Thatcher’s infamous challenge on Pedro Mendes.
The amendment follows McManaman’s knee-high tackle on Massadio Haïdara, of Newcastle United, in which the referee’s view of the incident was blocked, while the other match officials were not in a position to judge exactly what had occurred.
However, because one of the officials said on that occasion that he had “seen” the incident, but not fully realised exactly what happened, the FA could not act and McManaman escaped punishment.
“Prior to this change, which was ratified by the Football Regulatory Authority, the FA was only able to take retrospective action when none of the match officials had seen the ‘coming together’, or when the incident was truly exceptional,” the governing body explained in a statement.
The FA insisted that the change would not lead to it re-refereeing games and that it would not undermine the authority of referees.
“This change is not intended to usurp the authority of the match officials who are, in the vast majority of cases, best placed to deal with incidents at the time they occur,” the statement added. “It will only be utilised in the rare circumstances outlined above.”

I predict a lot of inconsistency's next season (as usual). But nice to see they're trying. That Mcmanaman was horrid

im a pompey fan obviously and i was at that game where thatcher elbowed mendes in the face and knocked him out it was a horrendous foul and didnt even get sent off shocking mendes got back to full fitness then on one of his first games back the same season joey barton broke his heel i for one am happy they have finally got some sense and done this

"From next month, the FA will the have right to take retrospective action and impose a punishment when match officials have not been in a position to fully assess"

Nice get out clause for them there. Why can't they just accept referee's get things wrong? I'm sure the refs don't care if they get the odd split second decision wrong, the only thing that should matter is that the correct decision is made eventually.

"From next month, the FA will the have right to take retrospective action and impose a punishment when match officials have not been in a position to fully assess"

Nice get out clause for them there. Why can't they just accept referee's get things wrong? I'm sure the refs don't care if they get the odd split second decision wrong, the only thing that should matter is that the correct decision is made eventually.

Isn't the whole point that it undermines the Ref's authority? If the FA starts taking retrospective action players will just start to think that the Ref gets things wrong and will just not care about the punishment because they think they will get away with it.

Sound's like a good move from the FA, although it could undermine a Referee's authority