aaronxi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd like some tactical advice regarding three-striker tactics - specifically going against them.

I enjoy a bit of multiplayer and while I myself am not really into using tactics that I don't feel are realistic/ordinary, I'd like to know a counter against them to have some method of strategy when facing them. I mainly use 4-4-2 and 4-3-2-1 tactics, however what I'm looking for here is just general sort of guidelines. How would you, generally speaking, close down the three striker formation's way of play or ensure they don't overwhelm and would you attack wide/narrow, etc? Counter or possession football?

I generally float around tactics from time to time, so I'm not looking for a way to make a specific one work, moreso just a concept to follow when I run into them and how I can tweak formations to better prepare against them during those fated times in the season. I know a lot of people say they break the ME and I don't know how true or not that is, though I'd like to be able to improve my know-how of how to play against them using more traditional means of formations/tactics.

Any ideas are welcome and thanks!

Are you referring to a formation using three true strikers or one with a center forward and two wingers? Sorry, just wanted to clarify the terms before I try to really answer you.

Three true striker roles! Something like all CFs (or even F9s), I believe, is one of the variations going around that I'd like a general idea of how to counter.

I'm not an online player so rarely, if ever, come up against a team with three central strikers.

If I were though, I would look at getting an extra body in my defense - three DCs would be first selection, with at least one on a Cover duty. Also, a DM on defend duty, probably an Anchor Man would provide that extra bit of cover in the defensive line with a second DM on support or a deep lying MC.

Also, the success of the 3-striker attack seems to be based on the inability of DCs to back-peddle effectively in the current ME, so I would also look at dropping the defense a bit deeper (the Cover duty DC can only do so much).

Tight marking on the 3 strikers, or on the two that are the strongest threat - bearing in mind you'll need pacey defenders to pull it off.

With the rest of the pitch, look at how the strikers are being supplied. Long balls from their back - close down and harry their defenders with your forwards. Through balls from midfield - overload the midfield as much as you can and cut out the passing channels. Crosses from wide? Find out who is delivering the cross and close them down/show onto weaker foot.

Basically, do everything you would normally do to counter a strong opposition threat, but try and add an extra body in your defense.