Famous Manager Quotes

YTFC Fan

Reaction score
Idea came from my other thread about smaller neighbours when someone quotes the late, great, Bill Shankly.

Ok, your all time favourite quotes given by managers. Ian Holloway and Gordon Strachan are my favourites though they dont provide THE quote for me.

Step forward Brian Clough:

Interviewer "So Brian, what happens if a player disagrees with your decision?"

BC "Well, we sit down and talk about it for twenty minutes or so. Then we decide I was right."

'If you don't have to drag yourself off the pitch exhausted after 90 minutes, then you can't claim to have done your best' - Bill Nicholson.

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables.
Arsene Wenger

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them.
Arsene Wenger

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence.
Arsene Wenger

I wouldnt say I was the best manager in the country but I am in the top one
Brian Clough

Rome wasnt built in a day but then I wasnt on that job
Brian Clough

'If you don't have to drag yourself off the pitch exhausted after 90 minutes, then you can't claim to have done your best' - Bill Nicholson.

You quote thief.

If you're in the penalty area and aren't sure what to do with the ball, just stick it in the net, and we'll discuss your options afterwards.
Bill Shankly quote

If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.
Bill Shankly quote

When I've got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.
Bill Shankly quote

This city has two great teams - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.
Bill Shankly quote

Some people think football is a matter of life and death.... I can assure them it is much more serious than that.
Bill Shankly quote

"Any new injury worries then Ian"

"No Im perfectly fine Thanks"

Ian Holloway...Legend

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of mating season"- Ian Hollaway

Legend

Last edited:
Ian Holloway - “Right now, everything is going wrong for me - if I fell in a barrel of *****, I'd come out sucking my thumb!”

Interviewer talking to Gordon Strachan after the game.

Interviewer "So Gordon where did you lose that game today then?"

Gordon "Out there on that big green thing called a pitch"

ironic as you have berbatov as your signature

Fergie - Typical Germans.

“The substitute is about to come on – he’s a player who was left out of the starting line-up today.” - Kevin Keegan

“I would ask anyone to try to understand the world he lives in. We all have to accept that he is married to Spice Girl Victoria Adams – and I think he copes very well with it.” - Kevin Keegan on Beckham

'England can end the millennium as it started - as the greatest football nation in the world.' - KK after taking England job

"I would love it if we could beat them. Love it. He’s gone down in my estimation. Manchester United haven’t won this yet, I’d love it if we beat them"

King Kev - the greatest funny qoute man

Interviewer: Can we have a quick word, Gordan?

Strachan: Aye, velocity.

Sir Alex on CR7's possible move to Real Madrid - "Do you think I would enter into a contract with that mob?" he said. "No chance. I would not sell them a virus."

I cant remember the exact quote but it went something like this:

Sir Fergie, during a press conference in Italy just prior to a CL match against an Italian side:

"I wouldn't trust them, the Italians. If they told me I was eating spaghetti, I would look under the sauce to check."

I stand to be corrected!

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

Interviewer: Why did you lose that game today Gordon?
Gordon Strachan: We got 1, they got 2.
Interviewer: Isn't that a silly answer?
GS: Well, ask a silly question you get a silly answer.

Last edited:
“If I had to fly to the moon I'd take Tony Mowbray, my captain, with me." Bruce Rioch talking about Mowbray, its how the fan site FMTTM(fly me to the moon) got its title.

there are a number of Strachan quotes im sure i posted on this site a while back