FAO: Computer Wizzes

Joss

Reaction score
Let me tell you a little about my current dilemma.

Basically, I slightly stupidly un-installed my wireless adapter (NETGEAR: WG111 v3 if that means anything to anyone) but when it WAS installed, the NETGEAR wireless wizard/programme never actually ran and my wireless network stuff came from "Wireless Network Connection 4" - which is just the default wireless programme/thingy for Windows.

Since I re-installed my adapter, I start my computer up and get a window saying: "Do I agree to the terms and conditions/country/ etc. that I need to do in order to install the wizard. If I click "agree" and install it, my wireless goes bat-**** mental and it doesn't connect properly. The NETGEAR wizard says I'm connected, but my "Wireless Connection" thingy, which is how I connected beforehand, says I'm not and I can't get the internet.

When I click "disagree" - the window disappears (until the next time I reboot) but I have to "repair" my internet by disabling, and re-enabling my connection. Although it's not a big hassle, it's a bit annoying and I'd rather not have to.

My question, for all you computer geeks etc. is: How do I tell them to **** right off for ever? I don't want the window starting up prompting me when I restart and I don't want to **** about with my connection!

Buy a new computer/laptop/internet thing.

That's my way of going about things. Probably explains quite a lot.

Buy a new computer/laptop/internet thing.

That's my way of going about things. Probably explains quite a lot.

Thanks for that.

How can spending money be your response to everything as a Scouser? :p

Thanks for that.

How can spending money be your response to everything as a Scouser? :p

How dare you! I suggest you back off ;) (Your trophy cabinet might be a good place to hide due to the masses of space in there :p )

How dare you! I suggest you back off ;) (Your trophy cabinet might be a good place to hide due to the masses of space in there :p )

At least we can afford one! Now get back on topic or stfu because I need a real answer!

At least we can afford one! Now get back on topic or stfu because I need a real answer!

You're right, cos ours is so full we need a new one. No doubt ****** Godcubed will be on here soon to provide his words of wisdom.

And riiiiiiight on cue...

Well, when you can't steal it... ;)

Why the **** are you asking Liverpool fans about computers? They don't have electricity up there do they?

Jeeeeesus what's this, bash a scouser day?! Actually, I live in Bournemouth now, purely for the electricity. It's much better than the dark caves up North.

Try looking for it in startup programs. More info on there here: Simple ways to increase your computer’s performace – Stopping the startup programs!

Well, when you can't steal it... ;)

Why the **** are you asking Liverpool fans about computers? They don't have electricity up there do they?

Thanks. Bit nervous about clicking something I shouldn't though - I have: "Belkin Wireless Net...." and "NETGEAR WG111v..." -> Neither of which finish.

I think even if I leave the prompt at the start, my wireless still doesn't start up properly because it's interfering. I want it to actually go away!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

You're right, cos ours is so full we need a new one. No doubt ****** Godcubed will be on here soon to provide his words of wisdom.

And riiiiiiight on cue...

Jeeeeesus what's this, bash a scouser day?! Actually, I live in Bournemouth now, purely for the electricity. It's much better than the dark caves up North.

Nope. Just one of the many things that Gillett and Hicks nicked in true Scouse fashion on their way out.

More like "Spam my topic day" -> Anyone (other than GC eventually) have a proper answer?

Nope. Just one of the many things that Gillett and Hicks nicked in true Scouse fashion on their way out.

I know, after we bled them dry for every penny, it's the least we could do for them.

More like "Spam my topic day" -> Anyone (other than GC eventually) have a proper answer?

Get it into your head that no one gives a **** about your ****** computer ;)

reinstalling windows would fix it but would be a pain

AHA! Never mind - think I've fixed it...

I got to this stage:

View attachment 171521

And clicked "agree" - then I just chose to run it with Microsoft Windows XP config and it came up with the NETGEAR wizard (but wasn't trying to connect.) - that temporarily interfered with my connection but I disabled, and re-enabled my Wireless Connection 2 thing:

Err.. This:

View attachment 171522

And all was a-OK. Hopefully it will ****** off now! I'll keep this open and if it comes back I trust some helpful people who spend their lives on an internet forum and therefore know a bit about computers can give me no help whatsoever. ;)

Argh. Another problem - separate this time. My " button on my keyboard is suddenly turning into @ and vice versa.. HELP (Again)

Sounds like your keyboard has turned american :)

Argh. Another problem - separate this time. My " button on my keyboard is suddenly turning into @ and vice versa.. HELP (Again)

check your keyboard is in uk english

I've had my keyboard to American for so long that I get confused when @ isn't Shift+2.

Laziness prevails.

Glad I could be of assistance Joss.