FAO Manchester United FM 09 Managers

deelang

Reaction score
Can anyone managing United in this game give me a summary of the club's financial position.

I've managed Newcastle in my version but Patrick Vieira ( :O ) has turned United, after Mourinho's spell following Fergie, into a mid table club with mid-table club players.

At one point they were bottom of the PL and I suspect a vacancy might open up. I might apply, but worth knowing if the cupboard is as bare as it looks from the outside after say ten years of play.

Vieira hasn't signed anyone of note, has sold just about everyone but still seems to have finances only of 'stable'. They're general rubbishness might be vieira-induced, or it might be that he hasn't got two pennies to rub together.

So have Glazernomics taken over FM09 United? Have MUFC managers in the game got money to spend, or is it all swallowed up paying off debts?

Man United always do seem to struggle financially and in the league as the game draws on. I was in the exact same position as you but I was still quite enjoying myself so I turned down the job and Bryan Robson took over. Man United can be fun to manage due to their large fan base but only leave Newcastle if you are not enjoying yourself. If you are not what have you got to lose?! I myself stayed and now I am manager of them and Brazil; very stressful.

Man United always do seem to struggle financially and in the league as the game draws on. I was in the exact same position as you but I was still quite enjoying myself so I turned down the job and Bryan Robson took over. Man United can be fun to manage due to their large fan base but only leave Newcastle if you are not enjoying yourself. If you are not what have you got to lose?! I myself stayed and now I am manager of them and Brazil; very stressful.

I think just looking for a new challenge after taking NUFC to 4x ECL and undefeated in the PL last season, and seeing United there in mid table looks liks a good one.

But I would be wary if the club is about to disappear into administration and I have to trawl the leagues for Bosmans to keep going!

I think just looking for a new challenge after taking NUFC to 4x ECL and undefeated in the PL last season, and seeing United there in mid table looks liks a good one.

But I would be wary if the club is about to disappear into administration and I have to trawl the leagues for Bosmans to keep going!

WOW. You must be reeaaaly good to win so many times. In fact you must be the best manager ever.

WOW. You must be reeaaaly good to win so many times. In fact you must be the best manager ever.

Yes probably.

I like your use of the multiple vowels in "reeeaaaaly" by the way. It lets those of us too dim to detect low-grade sarcasm on the internet into the jokes of the normal people.

Does it have a very significant impact on a (human) managers transfer funds and wage budget?

IRL United have a massive debt but also a massive turnover, which (theoretically) means they can compete in the transfer market as they have done in the past (e.g. Berbatov).

yh, but the problem is you are always losing about 6million a year from the board, and if you miss europe like once, your budget is reli low

Does it have a very significant impact on a (human) managers transfer funds and wage budget?

IRL United have a massive debt but also a massive turnover, which (theoretically) means they can compete in the transfer market as they have done in the past (e.g. Berbatov).

Hmmm disagree with a lot of this. I often notice they seem to go midtable sometimes (though same is true for Liverpool).

When managing them myself they have no problems at all with finances, becomiing the richest club in the world after a few seasons.

I find that they just tend to have rubbish managers who blow a lot of money on the wrong players.

Taking them over in the situation described would be a great challenge, they'll have pleny of money (just the money they make from the stadium would keep it going). And in the game if their finances get very bad I find that they simply get taken over by another director. Would be shocked if administration was even a realistic possiblity...

Your bank balance is separate from your debt. The debt is paid off over time, and funds for the debt pay-off come from your balance, so having debt may not mean your team is poor. I agree with Raffazza, on FM United always sign rubbish players for huge fees. Like they just signed Ashton from me on my West Ham story for £8.5M and let's be honest. He's ****. And even if they are in loads of debt, that could be a nice challenge for your amazing unbeaten super champions league superstar management capabilities!!!! :) Oh isn't sarcasm great.

Hmmm disagree with a lot of this. I often notice they seem to go midtable sometimes (though same is true for Liverpool).

When managing them myself they have no problems at all with finances, becomiing the richest club in the world after a few seasons.

I find that they just tend to have rubbish managers who blow a lot of money on the wrong players.

Taking them over in the situation described would be a great challenge, they'll have pleny of money (just the money they make from the stadium would keep it going). And in the game if their finances get very bad I find that they simply get taken over by another director. Would be shocked if administration was even a realistic possiblity...
In the same game, Liverpool (with similar issues in relation to debt) went into administration and had 9 points deducted. United's finances are described as 'stable', but then so were Liverpool's.

My instincts were what you say: that witth 70,000 coming through the gates there would be enough for a reasonable transfer budget, especially if in Europe. But you having actually managed United in the game is a big help, so thanks for that.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

even if they are in loads of debt, that could be a nice challenge for your amazing unbeaten super champions league superstar management capabilities!!!!

You're right, good point. Why didn't I think of that?

:) Oh isn't sarcasm great.

Well it was better than the previous effort ;)

Perhaps I'm just stung by a previous 'challenge' on FM where I took a twice relegated Celtic back to the SPL. The bank balance was something like £300m. The transfer budget about £3k.

To be honest, think that Man Utd may be a bit broken in the game...

Sort of related note...

On a new save at the moment, had a season with Newcastle, got them promoted, then got offered the Juventus job, so now in my first season in Italy.

Had a quick look at Man Utd (admittedly after only two summer transfer windows and a winter one). This time they have bought no players at all and sold Anderson, Hargreaves, Nani and Macheda (both to me), Obertan, Rafael and Jonny Evans (making 40m+ profit in tranfer market each season). I think that in the coming seasons they will blow a bunch of money on players who are not worth it really.

But yeah, basically never had probelms with their finances (you'll get more money to spend at the man city's of this world, but I found that they always had enough money to buy at least 2 world class players a year (plus lots of promising ones....)

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

oh.....

Just had a thought, if you really wanted to know how much you would have to spend, save the game, take over Utd with a new user, see how much their budget is, then load again...

Just had a thought, if you really wanted to know how much you would have to spend, save the game, take over Utd with a new user, see how much their budget is, then load again...

Simple, but genius. Feels a little bit 'cheating' but no more than dipping into the knowledge of other players I suppose.

8-|

Well they finished like 7th place for me last season, Mike Phelan is their manager.

honestly, i have never managed a team for more then 7 seasons. it would be nice for me to play 1 game for maybe 10 seasons and then see what happens to man utd :p