Favourite Album?

zzeezzy

Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to post your favourite album of all time here, I often find it very difficult to find a really good album which I can listen to all the way through and enjoy.

So what is your favourite album of all time? One where you can listen to it all the way through and enjoy each track (or most).

I will start it off... a really good album I like and think is just a superb piece of work is..

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf.

Please share your favourites.

Last edited:
I have 3 albums from where I enjoy each track.
First is Black Album by Metallica, second is Lost and Found by Mudvayne and the last, and my favorite is Toxicity by Soad.

my top 5 are as follows.

1. torches by foster the people
2. songs about jane by maroon 5
3. the defamation of strickland banks by plan b
4. troubadour by k'naan
5. family jewels by marina & the diamonds

Change from time to time right now it's gotta be

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
or
EPMD - Strictly Business

Changes quite often. Right now, Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not.

Led Zeppelin, can't choose a favourite.
Bowie -The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust.
Beatles - Sgt Pepper's lonely hearts club.
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms.
Oasis - What's the story morning glory.

not sure about favourite albums but honourable mentions have to be Hot Fuss - Killers, Absolution - Muse

First two Arctic Monkeys albums, Oasis - Morning Glory, Black Keys - El Camino and Jay Z - Blueprint

Impossible to pick just one. I can pick a few for totally contrasting reasons.

With a deal of thought, I've chosen four to narrow down from: By the Way, London Calling and, perhaps surprisingly, Weezer's Blue Album and Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank.

Starting off with By the Way, there's just so much to love about the album. John Frusciante is easily my all-time favourite guitarist. He's brilliant technically, obviously, but that's just scratching the surface of his genius. For example, 'Heartbreaker' by Led Zep has been played better, more technically proficiently, and more tidily by other guitarists, the original Jimmy Page solo has a feel to it that nobody else can match. In much the same way, Frusciante's relaxed, springy guitar style permeates the whole album, as does his underrated backing vocals. Add to that Chad Smith's machine-precision drumming, Anthony Keidis at his peak, and Flea combining with Frusciante's guitar to provide some of the best rhythms of all time, and the result is classics throughout the album: 'By the Way', 'Universally Speaking', 'Dosed', 'The Zephyr Song', 'Cabron', 'On Mercury', 'Minor Thing', 'Warm Tape', 'Venice Queen' and my personal favourite 'Can't Stop'. Just brilliant.

London Calling, on the other hand, doesn't have such an overarching style. Where By the Way's brilliance was in its simplicity and similarity, London Calling is a mish mash of loads of different styles. 'London Calling' is a brilliant piece of British punk, 'Wrong 'Em Boyo' is bouncy ska, and even disco gets a look in in 'Lost in the Supermarket'. What really shines through, though, is Joe Strummer binding all the elements together with excellent writing and strong, passionate vocals. Most of all, though, I think the album just invokes memories of sitting around on the roof of my friend's house, messing with guitars and eating cold pizza as 'The Guns of Brixton' drifts across the town after which it was named.

Onto my more leftfield choices. Whereas my first two would easily get onto 'Greatest Ever' lists, I'm not sure Weezer (The Blue Album) would, necessarily. It came out a year after my birth, and in my opinion totally changed the face of music in the nineties. Before Weezer, you had the likes of the - undoubtedly brilliant - Kurt Cobain singing about pain and suffering. The music was dark, meaningful, filled with sad emotions and hurt. Weezer came onto the scene and turned that on its head; their music was about just getting together with your friends and making cool noises on your instruments. It was the antithesis to Cobain. Where Cobain's Nirvana were brooding and troubled, Weezer's songs were about how someone they knew looked a bit like Buddy Holly. Even a song with the title 'The World Has Turned and Left Me Here' managed to come out joyful and melodious, in Weezer's trademark power pop style. As a standalone album, The Blue Album is excellent. When considered in context, it is truly wonderful.

And finally, the most bizarre - and most recent - of all my choices, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank. Modest Mouse are one of my favourite bands, thanks mostly to the inventiveness of Isaac Brock's lyrics and the range of emotion and meaning they can invoke within the same style of indie, occasionally folky rock. Much like RHCP in By the Way, the style and mood of WWDBTSES can range from the whimsical ('Dashboard'), to the sarcastic ('We've got Everything) to angry ('Spitting Venom'). Most of all, though, it just has some immensely catchy tunes that make you want to dance around like an idiot, and if that isn't the sign of a good album, I don't know what is.

Out of those four? By the Way wins, I think. Can't Stop is a masterpiece, and possibly my favourite song ever, bar none.

That's enough for now. I'm tired as ****. My brain is nagging away at me, since I've likely missed out some absolute crackers of albums. The Beatles, for example, with Revolver, Sgt Pepper's, and the White Album, or perhaps Bowie, The Jam, Dire Straits, Pet Sounds... eh, I'll think of some more in the morning.

Last edited:
In terms of my general favourite album, The Poison by Bullet For My Valentine.

In terms of the mixing and recording techniques (being on a music technology course) A Flash Flood Of Colour by Enter Shikari.

Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Hullabaloo, absolution, Black Holes and Revelations, The Resistance, H.A.A.R.P. and no doubly when it is released, The 2nd Law

Favourite album of this year is Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood of Colour simply because every song is one that isn't done justice unless it's listened to at ear-splitting volume. Apart from Stalemate which is starts of with just one acoustic and slowly builds up to one huge crescendo type ending. It is easy to get lost in the sounds and the music of this one but if you sit and just listen to the words of Rou Reynolds, the Shikari frontman, you begin to realise that this album is more than just a collection of post-hardcore classics and it has an underlying message. It seems as though Rou is intent on putting the world to rights and this is at it's most apparent at the beginning of Ghandi Mate, Ghandi as he takes on a role of an inspirational speaker and rants his way through the state of the world. Arguing With Thermometers is another song that points out just how ignorant we are towards our world. Rou shouts "While the icecaps melt/Instead of being inspired into a changing our ways/ We're gonna invest in military hardware to find the remaining oil beneath the ice" Just one set of lyrics that really hits home about the state of things. This album could be their best yet even though it doesn't work for some bands when they try to incorporate new sounds into their music it seems Shikari have well and truly cracked it. If you ever get the chance to see these guys live please do they really are unbelievable the best gig I went to was a Shikari one.

The first album I ever bought was Arctic Monkeys-Whatever People Say I am. This is one album that will go down as a classic in years to come and is still the best they have ever written in my opinion although Suck it and See ran it close when that was released last year.

My favourite album of all time is Nirvana's Nevermind. Needless to say it completely blew my mind on first listen. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before. That was my first introduction to Grunge and heavier music although my taste in music does range massively.

Impossible to pick just one. I can pick a few for totally contrasting reasons.

With a deal of thought, I've chosen four to narrow down from: By the Way, London Calling and, perhaps surprisingly, Weezer's Blue Album and Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank.

I want your view on this, some people tell me the RHCP - Stadium Arcadium album is their best one, even better than By the way. What do you think?

Oh and if I asked you I was going go out to the shop tomorrow and buy one album, which would you recommend to get? (Regardless of whether the shop would sell it due to when it was released etc.) :p

Last edited:
Favourite album of this year is Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood of Colour simply because every song is one that isn't done justice unless it's listened to at ear-splitting volume. Apart from Stalemate which is starts of with just one acoustic and slowly builds up to one huge crescendo type ending. It is easy to get lost in the sounds and the music of this one but if you sit and just listen to the words of Rou Reynolds, the Shikari frontman, you begin to realise that this album is more than just a collection of post-hardcore classics and it has an underlying message. It seems as though Rou is intent on putting the world to rights and this is at it's most apparent at the beginning of Ghandi Mate, Ghandi as he takes on a role of an inspirational speaker and rants his way through the state of the world. Arguing With Thermometers is another song that points out just how ignorant we are towards our world. Rou shouts "While the icecaps melt/Instead of being inspired into a changing our ways/ We're gonna invest in military hardware to find the remaining oil beneath the ice" Just one set of lyrics that really hits home about the state of things. This album could be their best yet even though it doesn't work for some bands when they try to incorporate new sounds into their music it seems Shikari have well and truly cracked it. If you ever get the chance to see these guys live please do they really are unbelievable the best gig I went to was a Shikari one.

The first album I ever bought was Arctic Monkeys-Whatever People Say I am. This is one album that will go down as a classic in years to come and is still the best they have ever written in my opinion although Suck it and See ran it close when that was released last year.

My favourite album of all time is Nirvana's Nevermind. Needless to say it completely blew my mind on first listen. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before. That was my first introduction to Grunge and heavier music although my taste in music does range massively.

Constellations starts off slow, too.
Agreed about them live, they're rather excellent live.

Favourite - OK Computer/Radiohead, or Deja Entendu - Brand New

[video=youtube;LQEgZNqa8jE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEgZNqa8jE[/video]

It's the whole album, the one song. Rush... are 3 musical geniuses. Saw them live last year, and seeing them live again next year. Neil Peart is one of the best songwriters ever in my opinion, and Geddy Lee has one of the best voices for the genre.

And Alex Lifeson? The man is a guitar GOD.

Daft Punk - Alive 2007, phenomenal. All tracks are mixes of songs, no song is played in its original form, for example the two most well known:

[video=youtube;I7p_rxPDMvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7p_rxPDMvI[/video]

My top 5 albums would be

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Joshua Tree - U2
Help - The Beatles
Hotel California - The Eagles
Definately Maybe - Oasis

Having said that my favourite artists are Tom Petty, Paul Simon, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Matchbox 20, Bruce Springstein, Bob Dylan............. lol

I want your view on this, some people tell me the RHCP - Stadium Arcadium album is their best one, even better than By the way. What do you think?

Oh and if I asked you I was going go out to the shop tomorrow and buy one album, which would you recommend to get? (Regardless of whether the shop would sell it due to when it was released etc.) :p

Stadium Arcadium is great and I love it. There's not one bad song on there.

However, it does not hit the highs of By the Way. By the Way has instant classics all over it, whereas Stadium Arcadium only really has Snow, Tell me Baby and Dani California, good as they are.

Led Zeppelin. All of them. Everyone should have that in their collection. Or just get mothership.