FC St. Pauli - The Buccaneers of the League

TractorBoy7

Reaction score
View attachment 342573

View attachment 342567

It was in the mid-1980s that St. Pauli's transition from a traditional club into a "Kult" club began. The club was also able to turn the location of its ground in the dock area part of town, near Hamburg's famous Reeperbahn — centre of the city's night life and its red-light district — to its advantage. An alternative fan scene emerged, built around left-leaning politics, social activism and the event and party atmosphere of the club's matches. Supporters adopted the skull and crossbones as their own unofficial emblem. St. Pauli became the first team in Germany to officially ban right-wing nationalist activities and displays in its stadium in an era when fascist-inspired football hooliganism threatened the game across Europe. In 1981, the team was averaging crowds of only 1,600 spectators: by the late 1990s they were frequently selling out their entire 20,000-capacity ground.

The Skull and Crossbones symbol had always been associated with St Pauli in one way or another. Hamburg fostered the most famous pirate of Germany Klaus Störtebeker and the symbol had been used by the house occupants at Hafenstrasse, but the one who should be credited with finally bringing the symbol to the terraces is probably Doc Mabuse, the singer of a Hamburg punk band. As the legend tells, he first grabbed the flag from a stall while passing drunk through the Dom on his way to the Millerntor-Stadion.

In the early 1990s, the media in Germany recognized the Kult-image of the club, focusing on the punk part of the fan-base in TV broadcasts of the matches. By this time, the media also started to establish nicknames like "Freibeuter der Liga" ("Buccaneers of the League"") as well as "das Freudenhaus der Liga" ("Brothel of the League", literally "House of Joy").

St. Pauli moved in and out of the Bundesliga over the course of the next dozen years: The club were narrowly relegated to the Oberliga in the 1984–85 season, but won the 1985–86 championship and returned to 2. Bundesliga. Two increasingly strong years followed, resulting in promotion and three seasons in 1. Bundesliga, during 1988–91. Four seasons followed in 2. Bundesliga, and then another two in 1. Bundesliga 1995–97, before returning to 2. Bundesliga.

Hi guys and welcome to a new story I'm doing. St. Pauli is a club that recently caught my eye whilst playing, and I got heavily caught up in their history and the culture of the St. Pauli area of Hamburg.

Unlike my other stories, this is just a simple save. No ulterior motives. Just me having fun on a save and bringing success in anyway necessary.

I really hope you enjoy the new format that I'm trying.

I'm using the Sports Interactive 14.3.0 database with a host of different countries active.

Predicted: 7th
Season Expectations: Top Half Finish
Transfer Budget: £549k
Wage Budget: £222k
Wage Budget Remaining: £17.44k p/w

View attachment 342565

A club with a big history, as you can see. A massive stadium considering we're only in the 2. Bundesliga. That loan debt is worrying as I hate it when my club is in dept but a few solid seasons and we should easily be able to repay that as St. Pauli regularly fill their stadium as they have fantastic fans as seen in the earlier extract from Wikipedia.

View attachment 342564

Room to improve here. But unlike with past saves where I try and get the youth set-up upgraded as quick as possible, I won't be doing so here.
I want to save the funds up for now and create a steady profit over the course of the year. If/when we get promoted to the Bundesliga, I will be looking to upgrade them, but not for now.

The club has no active parent or feeder clubs.

The squad itself is quite a young one! With only four senior team players at age 30 or above.

There's a few players here with very good potential here too. Here's the guys you need to watch out for.

Fin Bartels - AMR

View attachment 342562

Sadly he's on his way to Werder Bremen at the end of the season, but hopefully he'll go out in a blaze of glory and have his best season of his career.

Tom Trybull - CM

View attachment 342561

A player who's really good, with the potential to be even better. He could be a key player for us.

Marc Rzatkowski - AMC

View attachment 342559

A good player with room to improve. Still has time to develop.

And here's the rest of the squad (One player is missing but he's a two star goalie so I left him out for the sake of having to do screenshots just to add one more player).

View attachment 342558

Really looking forward to this. Feedback is welcome and very appreciated.
The first update will be the pre-season and transfers.

Loving this mate! Be a really interesting save to go with you Szolnoki one. The layout is great and Trybull looks like a cracking player! I'll be rooting for you to get promoted quickly. Look forward to the updates :)

View attachment 342489

Pre-season Report

We faced several similarly talented teams to us this pre-season.

View attachment 342488

Not very convincing at all, but to be fair I have enforced a fairly complicated tactic which will take time to mold within the squad. I am very shocked that we managed to concede six against Jablonec though.

Another disappointing loss to Znojmo and a fairly decent draw against Bohemians.

A great win against Bayern II and a fair draw against Achilles'29

No player stood out as the squad was constantly rotated as I wanted to learn things abut the players and see which players fit in each position and role within the tactic.

Here is the tactic we used for pre-season

View attachment 342486

This is the first time that I've used an Enganche and I'm hoping it rewards me. If I see that it isn't working, I will change it to my usual trequartista.

Transfers were pretty straightforward. The season starts halfway through July so expect to see more transfer action in the July and the August updates

View attachment 342481

Young bloke has gone out on loan, quite promising, we'll see if he develops when he returns from his season long loan.

View attachment 342480

Two loans. Saving the transfer budget incase someone comes along that takes my fancy. Don't want to force the money on transfers yet. Will wait until January if I have to.

Elson Hooi - AMR

View attachment 342478

Josh Vela - CM

View attachment 342477

Both transfers are really for fixture congestion and rotation. I doubt either will make the first XI along the season unless injury occurs

Next up is the July update.

I'll be following this, they're a great club. Good luck.

Vela is a great signing for that level! German football is great financially no matter what league you're in. Good luck mate, il be following this :)

HE'S GOING FOR IT, HE's GOING FOR IT!

HE DOES NOT, HE DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY, CRAZY

couldnt resist with the name!

I'm Hamburger Sv! Although I'll follow mate, goodluck ;)

Ooo our rivals :p cheers :)

I'll be following this, they're a great club. Good luck.

Cheers mate!

Vela is a great signing for that level! German football is great financially no matter what league you're in. Good luck mate, il be following this :)

Yeah I know I just saw the prize money :O thanks for following :)

HE'S GOING FOR IT, HE's GOING FOR IT!

HE DOES NOT, HE DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY, CRAZY

couldnt resist with the name!

Not gonna lie mate, I have no idea what you're on about :p

View attachment 342178

July & August Update

Did we improve on our pre-season form?

View attachment 342175

Not bad at all! Although we have do have a very strong team so I would expect these results to be honest.

The Koln draw was absolutely gutting as thy scored a 90th minute equalizer.

There were a few great games to watch such as the 1860 game and the Furth game too.

We struggled to keep clean sheets throughout because of our attacking philosophy and tactic, however as long as we're outscoring teams, that's all that counts.

Verhoek has been amazing as has wonderkid Maier. Look out for Maier in the long term as he has potential to be a good player in the Bundesliga so we could be keeping him for a fair few years!

Passing into the 2nd round of the German Cup was pretty much a certainty. However, we've drawn fierce rivals, Hamburg in the next round away from home! Should be a very fiery game.

View attachment 342173

Not looking too bad, of course we're aiming for a top 3 finish, personally. The board will be satisfied with top half but I want to get promoted ASAP.

Realistically I think we'll finish 2nd as Bochum look very strong. We have them on the fixture list for September.

Deadline day signing!

Despite Verhoek doing very well as the striker, I want him to fight for his place and signed a very decent looking Dane.

Ken Ilso - Free Transfer - ST

View attachment 342170

A very good looking player. It surprises me that he didn't get picked up earlier as he is a decent striker for most Bundesliga sides! I hope he can make an impact straight away, however, he'll be fighting for fitness.

Next update will be September.

Very nice start to the season mate, think you'll do well this season! Bochum will prove tough opposition but 2nd is definitely htere for the taking. You got some good youngsters at St Pauli?

View attachment 341179

September Update

Carrying the form from last month into September.

View attachment 341178

Still unbeaten in the league and out of the cup in a thrilling derby match.

We started the month with a fairly straightforward match at home against a weak Bielefeld team. We started the game strong scoring two goals in the early stages. They did score late on but it turned out to be a constellation goal as we dominated the game.

We then got a valuable point against the league leaders at the time, away at Bochum. New signing Ilso made his debut and scored two goals, much to my delight.

Wonderkid Maier continues his form and scored yet another goal. Karlruhe were the next to be beaten by the might St. Pauli.

Next was the Hamburg derby.

View attachment 341177

We scored first, and if you look at the possession, we actually dominated the game! However their quality was shown as they scored a late equaliser and then dominated us in the extra time.

Ken Ilso snatches us a vital 3 points in the dying seconds away to a weak Paderborn team.

Very proud of the team so far. We seem to be doing well and are very well on course to get my target of a top 3 finish.

View attachment 341176

Top of the league unbeaten, but only just. We need to keep putting in solid performances and we'll be on our way to the Bundesliga. 1860 will be our biggest rival I fear as will Bochum. I also expect Koln to step it up in the near future.

As requested by cps100, here is the current crop of youth at the club

Sebastian Maier - AMC - 20 years old - St. Pauli

View attachment 341175

Proving to be a vital part of our attack, Maier currently has an average rating of 7.69 and has 4 goals, 5 assists. An absolute gem of a player in my opinion

Phillip Ziereis - RB - 20 years old - St. Pauli

View attachment 341174

He's yet to play in the team due to injury, but it looks like he could become a useful player.

Choi Kyoung-Rok - AMC - 18 years old - St. Pauli II

View attachment 341173

Our youngest great looking prospect. He could become a key player in a few years time, with potential to become a leading Bundesliga player. He's currently playing for 2nd team and being tutored by natural striker and central attacking midfielder, Ken Ilso.

Next will be the October update.