FC United - how far can we go?

eencae

Reaction score
Introduction

I usually play FM as a top or mid-table team in one of the big leagues. After playing a few different careers on FM19 which all pretty much ended up with domination after a few seasons, I thought it was time to try something new before I got bored.

I decided to start in the lowest league in England on FM Touch. Being a Northerner, I couldn't bring myself to be a team in the Vanarama National League South, and so the Northern edition it was. I was looking at those the media predicted who would finish towards the bottom, and with the 'real' Man Utd having recently changed managers, I thought it would be apt to take over FC United. Could I get them to the Premier League before their big brother won it again?

At this point, I should say that I wasn't thinking about writing a story about it, and I've actually already done the first season, so this first post will be a review of what has already happened before hopefully making regular posts as we climb the English football pyramid.

Appointment

I took over as a Sunday League footballer and it was fair to say I was surprised as just how **** non-league players are. Looking through the squad there were very few players with more than a handful of attributes in double figures. Well, what could I really expect for an average wage of about £200 a week? That barely pays for Sky these days.

I'd needed to strengthen. Oh dear. £2k transfer budget. I tried selling some **** players to raise funds. No joy, everyone else knew they were **** too and nobody was stupid enough to pay money for those single-digit wonders. I couldn't even give them away for £0 to free up the wage bill. However, there were a few out-of-contract (Ctr) players so they went to get them off the wage bill.

I reduced the transfer budget to top up the wages and started to look for free transfers who would ask for less than the £250 limit on wages. Christ, they were even worse than I already had.

Finally brought a centre-back, Callum Lees, an ex-Everton youth player. His only double-digits are for heading, marking, tackling, decisions and positioning, but he'll do. Christian Hill, an ex-Burnley youth player, can play left-back and left-wing, and has double-digits for corners, crossing, dribbling, passing, marking, tackling and pace. He'll be my Gareth Bale.

I didn't bother doing anything special with the staff or training, and loaded an attacking 4231 tactic I'd been using on a Man Utd save. That would do.

First-half of season and a brilliant cup run

2018 went well, only 3 defeats in the league sent me towards the top of the league, way above expectation. Although one of those defeats was a 0-5 hammering away at Kidderminster Harriers, one of the favourites for promotion. I mainly had Kurt Willoughby (Advanced Forward) and Danny Racchi (Attacking Midfielder at AMC) to thank for my good start.

The biggest highlight was my FA Cup run. Beating Witton Albion in the 2nd qualifying round wasn't too much of a surprise, neither was Stratford in the 3rd qualifying round. Wrexham in the 4th qualifying round was a tough proposition, but after a 1-1 away, they were despatched 2-0 in the replay at home and we qualified for the 1st round proper. I noticed the replay was only a few days after the original tie and it took a lot out of the players who were blowing out of their arses by the end of October.

Our tie against Gillingham (L1) came in mid-November and to my surprise we won quite comfortably 4-2 away from home. Our league form was also ticking by rather nicely. Early December we played Swindon (L2) in the 2nd round and came away from the away tie with a 3-3 draw and then beat them 3-1 at home in the replay to get into the 3rd round. Hoping for a big boy, but instead have to make do with Bristol Rovers (L1). December was also a busy cup month as we played the 3rd qualifying round of the FA Trophy, needing a replay to get past Hereford before beating St Albans City in the 1st round. That made 5 cup games and 3 league games in December. Not good for a squad of players with mostly single digits for stamina and natural fitness.

January was a funny month. After beating Bristol Rovers 3-1 at home in the FA Cup to get to the 4th round, league form started to go downhill, with a couple of losses and draws. However, we did beat Darlington in the 2nd round of the FA Trophy. The cup runs took a lot out of the players and league form suffered. Never mind, we had Arsenal at home in the 4th round of the FA Cup to look forward to.

At this point, I had started to dream. We were still fighting at the top of the league and had done much better than expected in both cups. I was therefore a bit gutted when we were smashed 0-8 by Arsenal at home and the cup run was over.

Even more annoying was the fact that it destroyed morale and the board complained about the result ("we are pleased with your performance but nonetheless are unhappy at the 0-8 loss against Arsenal and hope you can put it right"). They were also moaning about the wage budget being too high, despite the cup run (and new kit sponsorship deal) meaning that our bank balance was growing every month. I asked for more money to strengthen and they refused.

Speaking of the board, there was a weird election to appoint a new board and Assistant Manager (2 are listed on the staff members page). Still don't understand, presumably a bug of some sort. The new board also refused to invest more money so still had to rely on Free Transfers and brought in a couple in February, Liam Canavan, a 5'4" playmaker and Wealth Da Silva, a 6'3" inside forward and Nigerian U20 international. This just made the new board moan about wages even more.

Downturn in form and recovery

The bad run in the league continued in February, and I was also knocked out of the FA Trophy 3rd round after taking Dagenham & Redbridge to a replay. Morale was **** and fitness was an issue. Being out of both cups in March meant just one game a week, so I rested players as well as organising friendlies against smaller teams, a 'cheat' I use regularly. It enabled me to get some players up to 100% match fitness as well as improve morale by spanking some minnows at the same time as getting some gate receipts (including a 10-0 victory against St Helens). I also went back to basics with a simple 442. Even Guardiola couldn't get these lot to players fancy tactics like you can with the big boys.

View attachment 26510

Champions

The boost in confidence and change in tactics worked as I went through March and April unbeaten, becoming Champions of the Vanarama National League North with 92 points from 42 games. Much of my success was due to Willoughby (43 goals in 51 appearances), Racchi (14 goals and 13 assists in 43), Crawford (9 goals and 6 assists in 39). My new signing Canavan (I call him Caravan) also produced with 11 goals in 10 games and was a major reason for the upturn in form. Full-backs Tattum and Lonsdale also contributed well with 7 and 8 assists respectively.

View attachment 26511

View attachment 26509

Current state of play

Most of the squad are out of contract. I've tied the key players down to another year, but at the moment will only have about 5 players. Allinson, my keeper, is being an **** and won't sign a new deal. The board have finally made money available. I'm certain there are bugs in this part of the gaem.

I was making money every month and ended the season with a balance of £1.1M. Despite this, they didn't give me an extra penny to spend on wages or transfers. As soon as I won the league and the next season budget was released, I have £0.59M transfer budget and £8.5k per week wages (compared to the current £4.6k wage bill). I'm not sure, but I presume this is a lot for this level of football.

View attachment 26508

Looking forward

This is where I am up to. I'm planning on holding a full root and brach review. Getting rid of the **** and bringing in better players. Trouble is, I don't know what standard players you can expect in the National League. I'll be scanning all the squads to get an idea (hopefully some players with more double-digit attributes!). I'm also going to try and get better staff (completely neglected up to this point) and start to work more on training and set-pieces. I've no idea what kind of step up there is between the National League North and the National League.

However, in this first season, it was generally quite simple to get promoted with a relegation candidate so I'm hoping the AI at this level can be quite easily out-smarted by a human manager.

Last edited:
Summer 2019 - Backroom Changes

First off I need to improve my staff. I decide I don't need a DoF at this lower league level, so fire the existing one to save on wages. However, Chris Turner (ex-Sheff Wednesday boss) is appointed by the board. Can't find any options in FM Touch as to why this happened, so I'll just have to suck it up as well as take the hit on his higher wages. Not a good start.

In comes a re-gen 31-year old Assistant Manager who seems to have some decent stats for this level, plus he prefers 4-4-2. I still have the Assistant who was elected by the members, but I don't think he is a real one as you can't see his stats when you click on him. A(nother) bug in FM Touch I imagine.

Another re-gen Head Physio is appointed with some good mental stats as well as 12 for Physiotherapy, a much needed boost on the 4 the ex-Head Physio had (which I presume is the FM equivalent of a bucket and sponge and some oranges).

I mess up the next appointment. Charlie Strutton, a recently retired non-league player has 18 for working with kids, so I give him the job. Unfortunately the job is not Head of Youth Development and is actually Chief Scout. He only has 8 for spotting ability and potential. ******. Need to stop juggling too many tasks and start concentrating. He does have a team of 3 though, which does means a 50% growth compared to last season. Not all bad.

I decide to keep the existing HOYD, Dave Chadwick. He is FC United through and through, plus he is on £250 a week until 2020 and would cost too much to terminate his contract.

The team:

View attachment 26345

Last edited:
Summer 2019 - Squad overhaul

I look at the top scorers and assisters from the Vanarama North and South. A few of them are out of contact at the end of June so I add them to my shortlist. Hopefully they won't sign new deals and I can pick them up for free on 1st July.

My keeper Allison, signs a new deal, but it is £700 a week. A big step up on his previous deal. I'm not sure if he has mugged me off or else this is the level I'll be paying from now on. Depending on how I adjust my budget, I can have a wage budget between £5k and £17k per week. Fifteen players on £700 p/w is around £11k. This leaves me with £430k transfer budget. This sounds like a lot so I'm confident enough to let pretty much my entire squad leave at the end of their contracts and build a new team (and squad) from scratch. I do renew a couple of young back-up players as they want 'non-contracts' on £0 p/w (but a couple of hundred pounds appearance fees). I've still got a lot to learn about how things work down here.

I take a look at the National League which Barnet won. Quickly adding up their wage budget and it comes to around £30k p/w. Salford are in the play-offs with Adam Rooney on £4k p/w as well as Niko Kranjcar on £3.5k and a total wage bill of around £40k! Hopefully they'll win the play-offs and go up as I'm starting to think even my maximum of £17k p/w isn't enough to compete in the National League.

I do note however that the clubs have quite a few players on loan and tend to not pay any wages. Seems like a strategy I should adopt. I take a look through the National League sides and add a few loan players who have had good seasons to my shortlist. Hopefully some of them may fancy spending the next season on loan at FC United.

I'm hit with a £240k tax bill based on my £1.4M profit. Annoying. I do rake in £45k membership fees but the new sponsorship deals (£75k) are actually down on the previous figure. More annoying.

I decide there isn't too much more I can do until 1st July, so I start to quickly bash the space bar. Salford win the play-offs. The Class of '92 will be pleased. I'm also pleased that a strong team won't be a threat next season, however a bit disappointed that the 'Pretend Man Utd' derby won't be happening just yet. That gives me an idea, I'll try and organise a pre-season friendly against them.

Summer 2019 - Transfers

Signing players is much harder than I thought it would be. Most of the players on my shortlist with expiring contracts re-signed with their current clubs. Never mind I thought, there are loads of free transfers about. This is true, but any half decent player is simply not interested in signing for FC United. I find this a bit strange, as if they are an ex-League Two or National League player and without a club, then essentially they are on the dole. A pity when people would rather stay on benefits than work for a living, especially when that living is playing football.

Wages were a problem for other signings, they either wanted more than I could offer or the financial package on offer not being enough for them to consider re-locating. I gave up on loans as Championship or League One teams tended to want their prospects to player at a higher standard and wouldn't accepts any offers.

In the end I only managed to bring in six players, four on free transfers, one for £10k and another for £8k (I think Alexis Sanchez earns that in the time it takes him to wipe his ****, which he probably does on £50 notes - the sum most of my players get as an appearance fee).

View attachment 26215

The £10k player was George Green, an ex-Everton youth player who has some decent stats. I read about him in real-life and apparently he was very talented but ended up with drink and drug problems and wasted his career. He is still only young, so I hope he still has a decent potential ability in the game and I can help him fulfil his potential (although I suspect he may have poor professionalism stats and turn out to be a trouble-maker).

View attachment 26214

I also bring in Rob Atkinson and Liam Daly, two experienced non-league centre backs who I hope can provide a solid base.

View attachment 26213View attachment 26212

David Lynch comes into midfield, he looks like a solid hard-worker, even if his physical stats are pathetic.

View attachment 26211

Khius Metz, a Jamaican U23 international born in Manchester comes in up front. He was a Burnley youth player and has completely terrible stats apart from pace (17). He is basically a **** version of Usain Bolt, slower and worse at football.

View attachment 26210

I therefore start the season with a squad of just 21 players (including 3 youth players). I hope this enough to get me through the first few weeks and then hopefully some of the snobbish Free Agents will soon start wanting to discuss terms once they realise they are on the scrapheap and no one else is interested in them.