Fernando Torres will leave Liverpool due to a lack of silverware -Spain's David Villa

• Thread starter Thread starter LGFIRE
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 2K

LGFIRE

Reaction score
Barcelona ace believes Torres may join Chelsea next summer...

By Sumeet Paul

Aug 1, 2010 12:15:00 PM

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres will quit Anfield for Chelsea next summer if they fail to yield any silverware this season, according to Barcelona star David Villa.

Spain's goalscoring hero at World Cup 2010, believes his fellow countryman is feeling hard done to by Anfield officials after they slapped a high valuation on his head following a summer of speculation linking him to Premier League holders Chelsea.

However, Torres now looks inclined to remain on Merseyside for another campaign at least, although Villa has warned that failure to win a trophy, or qualify for the Champions League, this season will spell the end of Torres' time with the Reds.

“The only reason [Fernando Torres] Nando ever left his beloved Atletico [Madrid] was because he knew he had to be at a club where he could win the highest honours – but that has not happened at Liverpool," Villa told the Daily Star.

“I loved Valencia but I knew I had to leave if I wanted to win the biggest prizes in football.

“This is Liverpool’s last chance to keep him. They have to prove they are *capable of challenging on all fronts this season, otherwise he will be gone.”

The 28-year-old Spanish sharp-shooter also confessed he was shockedTorres had not departed for Stamford Bridge already this summer.

“I am actually a little surprised. It looks like Nando is staying [at Liverpool]. After I spoke with him at the World Cup I thought he would sign for Chelsea," Villa added.

“I think it must only be that Chelsea did not meet Liverpool’s valuation. Because, if they had, I am sure he would have made the move.”

Villa believes his friend isn't motivated by money and that the only reason Torres is unhappy at Liverpool is that he wants to laden his mantlepiece with silverware.

As he enters the peak of his playing career, Torres' absence from the Champions League is something that upsets Villa.

He concluded: “Torres is happy at *Liverpool in every sense apart from the football. He loves the city, the fans and the players but he is the best striker in the world. He will go if he has to.

“He would not sign for *Manchester City because, for him, the money is not the most important thing. But if Liverpool fail to win anything I am sure he will be at Chelsea next summer.

“He was promised things at *Liverpool that just haven’t *happened. They said they would build a squad that would challenge *Manchester United for the title – and it just hasn’t happened.

“They sold Xabi Alonso last year and are going to sell Javier Mascherano this summer. I can totally understand Nando’s frustration.

“The best all-round striker in the world isn’t playing in the *European Cup during his peak years and that’s just not right.

“If the new coach and players win something then I am sure he will stay. If not, I am sure he will go and nobody could blame him.”

Last edited by a moderator:
all this Torres business is getting boring now, either move or come out and say your staying, simple.

Wow. Now Barca players are talking about Torres AND Fabregas. Ridiculous.

all this Torres business is getting boring now, either move or come out and say your staying, simple.
to be fair hodgson said torres told him that he was staying. Villa is just stirring the pot, but i suspect he's points are pretty accurate. he came to win

i think this is just David Villa trying to stir ****!

if Torres is to leave, i firmly believe it won't be to another english club - like he said; Liverpool are his English club and i think he'll stay loyal to that!

also, it's the daily star - not the most reliable source imo.

to be fair hodgson said torres told him that he was staying. Villa is just stirring the pot, but i suspect he's points are pretty accurate. he came to win

Hodgson may have said that but if i was a Liverpool fan, id rather Fernenado come out and publicly announce he wants to stay in a press conference, not going through managers/other players.

Hodgson may have said that but if i was a Liverpool fan, id rather Fernenado come out and publicly announce he wants to stay in a press conference, not going through managers/other players.
yeah i agree on that. the speculation wont stop until the player comes out and says something

hurry up and go feel sorry for the liverpool fans being mucked around and roy sell for 50m bring in 4 new players who want to play for you :)

The same news stories about Torres, Balotelli and Milner are getting very boring :(

“Torres is happy at *Liverpool in every sense apart from the football. He loves the city, the fans and the players but he is the best striker in the world."

I would like to say on behalf of Liverpool that David Villa only has 4 brain cells, hence why he is spouting so much ****.

“He was promised things at *Liverpool that just haven’t *happened. They said they would build a squad that would challenge *Manchester United for the title – and it just hasn’t happened.

“They sold Xabi Alonso last year and are going to sell Javier Mascherano this summer. I can totally understand Nando’s frustration."

That sums it all up. That should of been the headline, the underlying reasons why we aren't competing should be the focus of the article and not the footnote.

“They sold Xabi Alonso last year and are going to sell Javier Mascherano this summer. I can totally understand Nando’s frustration."

That sums it all up. That should of been the headline, the underlying reasons why we aren't competing should be the focus of the article and not the footnote.
We didn't exactly sell Alonso and Masch (I know he's not gone, yet) because we wanted to.
Just when I thought the dust had settled, another Spaniard comes out and say this

Barca need to sort it out, it's starting to get boring that every one of their players has something to say on matters that don't have anything to do with them.

Barca need to sort it out, it's starting to get boring that every one of their players has something to say on matters that don't have anything to do with them.
Real Madrid (Alonso) are doing it too D :

COME!!! come to the dark side Fernando haha!! i can understand his frustrations he came to england to win trophys and he hasn't.

Whatever the news, what I'd like to know is why are Barca players trying to stir up trouble on other teams that aren't even in their competition. Do they really have no class at all? I used to love Barca, but now I'm really starting to grow tired of them and their players showing no respect for other teams.

Although I would love Torres at Stamford Bridge,I too am getting tired of all this speculation,Torres has to come out himself and say something or else this will continue.....I do have a feeling though that if Liverpool do not challenge for trophies in the next 2-3 seasons,he will leave but right now,lets give this story a rest

Back