Fifa could change points system for 2014, too much club football; says Sepp Blatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Fifa could change points system for 2014 World Cup, says Sepp Blatter
• Fifa to consider replacing system of three points for a win
• Blatter concerned about quality at 2010 tournament

Sepp Blatter says Fifa could change football's points system. Photograph: Reuters
Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, has told a new football task force to investigate whether there should be a change to the system of three points for a win and one for a draw.

The Task Force Football 2014 has been set up to look at the laws of the game and come up with ways to make it more attractive, with the aim of introducing changes at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Blatter told Fifa's website: "Its objective is to assess tournaments and the way in which the game is organised.

"Let me give you a few examples. At the moment three points are awarded for a win and one for a draw, which is something we can discuss and decide whether it's a good thing or not.

"Is extra-time the only option we have when a game ends in a draw? And if we stick with extra-time, how should we end games? Is it worth taking another look at the golden goal? Some people like it, some people don't."

The task force is made up of football administrators, players and ex-players, referees and medical experts. It was set up after last year's World Cup finals in South Africa, where there was criticism about the quality and competitiveness of the group matches.

Blatter also claims there are too many domestic matches for clubs in countries including England and Spain.

"The other big issue is the calendar. In my view, and this is something on which [Uefa president] Michel Platini agrees: domestic championships are too long because there are too many teams and too many matches.

"Teams in leagues with 20 clubs play 38 games, on top of which they also have national cup competitions and league cups, etc. This also creates a conflict of interest between national teams and clubs, some of whom complain that their players come back tired or injured.

"That's not the fault of the international calendar, however, and it's a subject that ought to be discussed."

Blatter responded to criticism of referees by saying Fifa had a target of having professional referees only at the 2014 World Cup.

England's Howard Webb was one of only a tiny minority of professional referees at the last World Cup, in which he refereed the final. There were two serious mistakes by officials at the tournament – Frank Lampard's disallowed goal for England against Germany and a clear offside goal by Carlos Tevez for Argentina against Mexico.

Blatter said: "We have a very clear target in this respect, and that's to have only professional referees officiating at the 2014 World Cup. That's a target we have to reach. Coaches are professional now and so are players, and there's no reason why referees shouldn't be either. Some people say there's not enough money to pay them, but there always seems to be plenty in the professional leagues."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't find any yet mate soz. Just heard bits of what he said on the radio. Hopefully be on Sky Sports.com/news soon

ignore the radio. he wasnt slagging off the english league as such, he was saying there are too many club games played in a season

Short sighted view from Blatter as normal, the man never thinks before he speaks.

Whats the point of having the lower leagues if it's made almost impossible to reach the highest level ?

Why isn't he criticising La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 then?

Anything Blatter says should be avoided like the plague.

We've recently (3 years iirc) had a change in top flight clubs in Portugal, from 18 to 16. Must say I saw no real benefit from this. Arguably the clubs might have a bigger prize money, or less congestionated fixtures, but I think it rather empoverished the game, so much so they created a new cup just to add more competitive fixtures again.
I'm far from knowledgeable when it comes to the Premiership, but I reckon the impact on wages would be minimal (though you'd save in match bonuses I suppose), and I don't think it'd improve the game. If he criticized you for not playing and developing english youth, then I might concede he had a point, but hey... it's Blatter!

ignore the radio. he wasnt slagging off the english league as such, he was saying there are too many club games played in a season

aye was just reading more. Think i may have jumped the gun-his name does that to me lol

aye was just reading more. Think i may have jumped the gun-his name does that to me lol
cant say i blame you. ill edit the title and OP accordingly

The only Blatter thread i want to see from now on is the one telling us he has died, hopefully horribly.

I'm not surprised by the point system being discussed though. Heard many a debate with fans from different teams, talking about teams getting no points for a draw, to stop teams not attempting to win a match.

Cheers for the edit too Mike

Last edited:
On SSN they also said that he was considering re-introducing the 'Golden Goal' rule for extra time matches.

Didn't the Golden Goal thing fail last time though? Have to admit, not sure if i would like to see that coming back

Blatter must retire...
He don't have innovative ideas or good ideas.
The only thing he cares about is money money and money....

That's also proven with assigning the next word cups to Russia and Qatar....

Status
Not open for further replies.