Fifa, Football Manager and the problem with 'fun'

I have no problems with this, difference of opinion is what makes the world go around, it's just a shame that some people are able to air their opinions in the national media.

The moral of this story though... Everyones opinion of 'fun' differs. Nothing wrong with that. ;-)

I disagree, but it was still a good read.

Realism = Depth.

In FM, it is the Depth that makes the game so good. It keeps us coming back for more even after we have played for hundreds of hours. The fun in FM is in accomplishment - winning the first trophy of your game, being promoted or winning against tougher opposition all give a good sense of satisfaction.

Last edited:
FM made tactics a lot easier in the past year or two even more so with the set pieces creator in fm11. I don't think there is much you can do to make it easier/"more fun", apart from adding something that makes your wage useful is what would satisfy me more and making the training easier. I have never created my own schedule on FM, to much effort.

FM made tactics a lot easier in the past year or two even more so with the set pieces creator in fm11. I don't think there is much you can do to make it easier/"more fun", apart from adding something that makes your wage useful is what would satisfy me more and making the training easier. I have never created my own schedule on FM, to much effort.
Yes it is 'easier' to get a basic tactic going, but the underlying complexity is still there as much as it was in previous iterations. You can leave the tactic set to default settings or tweak the sliders as much as you like to get your team playing how you want. Like I said. Depth.

FM isn't a game. It is a simulation. It's objective is to be realistic and not necessarily fun. However it is fun because it is realistic IMO.

In training I use player specific schedules ;)

Last edited:
Just realised how much I miss playing Sensible Soccer.

Good read, I agree.

Yes, I definitely agree with what he is saying and have experienced that myself. There is a fine line between realism and fun but I do believe FM are very close to hitting that line.

i didnt read it all cus reading bores me :p
but i disagree i always want more realism else i dont even play it... it likes on fm10 chelsea seemed to always buy... vucinic, donovan and another striker i cant remember and they already have drodba anelka and sturridge... its just unrealistic

I dont know how it would be fun that a lower league can beat real madrid in the final, manager games used to bore me senseless when all I did was pick a team and within 3 years of crazy signings id got Chesterfield to the Premiership, prefer to work hard and actually feel like I got them promoted because of my hard work, much more of an achievement :) each to there own though

I dont know how it would be fun that a lower league can beat real madrid in the final, manager games used to bore me senseless when all I did was pick a team and within 3 years of crazy signings id got Chesterfield to the Premiership, prefer to work hard and actually feel like I got them promoted because of my hard work, much more of an achievement :) each to there own though

So after spamming our site saying FIFA Manager is better than FM you have now decided that you want ultimate realism?

Get a grip mate.

So after spamming our site saying FIFA Manager is better than FM you have now decided that you want ultimate realism?

Get a grip mate.

Again!! when did I actually say that statement? I simply asked about the cup winning celebrations, Fifa dont have them either so I think you should re-read what I actually asked initially.

Meh, too realistic is bad imo. if you want reality, go out there and try to manage a real team. And then you'd say if you reckon or not, if the realer the better.

It's a game, therefore, not the most realistic thing, but intends to be the most fun one.

Meh, too realistic is bad imo. if you want reality, go out there and try to manage a real team. And then you'd say if you reckon or not, if the realer the better.

It's a game, therefore, not the most realistic thing, but intends to be the most fun one.
actually SI describe football manager as a sim

Interesting article, but I have to say I hugely disagree.

For me, adding realism clearly makes games more difficult, but that makes the accomplishment of winning even greater. Also, why would franchises such as Fifa make an exact replica of an older game just because it's enjoyable? If you like it more than the newer version, just go back to it! I find it way more fun when it's difficult to score on football games, because the feeling that you get when you score a screamer is so much better!

Having said that, my favourite ever game is championship manager 99/00, but that was the first that I ever bought. I went back and played it last year, and got bored very quickly, which tells me the FM series is still heading in the right direction

actually SI describe football manager as a sim

fair enough, but, what is it simulating? a world where you just got to management and can pick a team anywhere in the world and just manage it? its all for the fun, its always a game in the end of the day

Agree with some of it, especially the first part. Fifa 05 is better than fifa 11 in my opinion, as an example

fair enough, but, what is it simulating? a world where you just got to management and can pick a team anywhere in the world and just manage it? its all for the fun, its always a game in the end of the day
but who says the realism isnt fun? as each version has got more realistic ive found it more and more fun, and im sure im not the only one

I think of myself as hardcore FMer so greater depth and features are actually pleasing for me, though he does make several good points a good read.