Fight to the Top Flight - A Football Manager Story

clarky1683

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am clarky1683, and you may know me from my Hearts story. Well I've decided to do a new story, and the team I have picked is Brighton and Hove Albion. I will be using LFCMarshall's summer 2012 update. So without further ado, let's get into it!

George Clark Announced as Brighton Manager

View attachment 272720

Former Liverpool Scout George Clark has been named the new Brighton manager. Gus Poyet resigned only two days ago, stating the fact he wants to manage in another European country. Clark has already said that he hopes to guide Brighton to the Premier League.

Tactics

View attachment 272723

Key Players

Vicente

View attachment 272724

Craig Mackail-Smith

View attachment 272725

Vicente is a quality player, and as long as he stays fit and Mackail-Smith bangs in some goals, we will do well.

I aim to bring in a centre back, a defensive midfielder and another winger during the transfer period. If anyone has any cheap, affordable players in those positions (or any other) I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!​

Centre back try loan Caulker, DM try and loan Oriol Romeu. Winger... I'm not sure lol

July and August

View attachment 272952

Brighton invest in some great talents
3 terrible injuries to 3 first team players
Great start to the season

Transfers

View attachment 272955

In

Experienced players like Jimmy Bullard were brought in to provide a presence in the dressing room and to help the younger players, plus he still is quality. Jason Lowe was brought in as he can play in 3 important positions and he is young, however he was on international duty throughout the month so he didn't play. Teko Modise has great passing and skills, and he was extremely cheap! We needed a bit of extra fire power up front, so Simon Church was loaned in, with a future fee of £1.5m. Curtis Nelson has great potential, and he will be a backup defender this season. As for Tom Cairney, he was transfer listen by request, and I was surprised none of the big teams wanted his signature. Nevertheless, I signed him for a decent £2m. Jay Simpson was an emergency signing, with the reason becoming clear in a minute.

Out

Taricco is awful. He's old. Good-bye mate, you suck! Liam Bridcutt wasn't at the level of quality I wanted, and to get £1.2m for him, I think that's a good deal. Barnes, Dicker, Sparrow and Painter simply aren't good enough, so they left for decent fees. Simmonds was never going to make it, so we got a small amount for him. Agdestein was sent out on loan for experience along with Kasim and Harley got pissy with me because there are "too many CM's" in the squad. No-one would buy him, since he just joined, so I released him.

Friendlies

View attachment 272957

Some good results there. Looks promising, right?

Craig Noone and Will Buckley both got long term injuries in pre season, though Noone is soon back (like meh rhyme?).

View attachment 272960View attachment 272961

League

Brighton 1-1 Blackpool
LuaLua

Charlton 1-2 Brighton
LuaLua, Bullard

Brighton 2-0 Middlesbrough
Greer, LuaLua

Bolton 3-3 Brighton
Mackail-Smith, Crofts, Dunk

Brighton 2-0 Crystal Palace
LuaLua, Mackail-Smith

Sheff. Wed 1-1 Brighton
Hoskins

Mackail-Smith was injured for up to 7 months against Sheff. Wed. That is why I brought in Jay Simpson on deadline day.

View attachment 272962

Capital One Cup

(1st Round) Dag & Red 0-3 Brighton
Mackail-Smith, Dunk, LuaLua

(2nd Round) Brighton 3-1 Ipswich (AET)
Hoskins, Bullard, Mackail-Smith

League Table

View attachment 272963

Overall we have started the season excellently! The one negative is the amount of injuries we are getting. Losing Mackail-Smith for that long could prove costly. I just hope Simpson, Hoskins and Church can get their scoring boots on.

Capital One Cup 3rd Round Draw

Chelsea vs Brighton

This looks extremely tough, and getting through all depends on what team Chelsea play.

Thanks for reading guys!

September
View attachment 274044
Amazing win the Capital One Cup
First loss of the season

League

Brighton 1-1 Burnley
Simpson

Bristol City 1-2 Brighton
Hoskins, Simpson

Brighton 3-0 Watford
Modise, Hoskins, Barnes

Wolves 1-0 Brighton

Capital One Cup

(3rd Round) Chelsea 1-3 Brighton
Simpson, Kakuta O.G, Bergkamp

View attachment 274045View attachment 274046

League Table

View attachment 274047

A pretty good month, despite the loss to Wolves. We are sitting in 4th place and we played excellently against Chelsea in the COC. Looking forward to the next month.

Capital One Cup 4th Round Draw

Brighton vs Tottenham Hotspur

Another Premier League opposition, but as it is at home, I reckon we can give Spurs a run for their money!

Can't believe your injury woes!!!! Not a bad start though mate KIU :)

Can't believe your injury woes!!!! Not a bad start though mate KIU :)

Yeah it got a bit ridiculous when Mackail-Smith got injured! Simpson and Hoskins are stepping up well though :) thanks!

October
View attachment 274448
Knocked out of Capital One Cup
Top of the Championship

League

Brighton 4-2 Ipswich
LuaLua, Simpson (2), Cairney

Huddersfield 1-1 Brighton
LuaLua

Peterborough 2-5 Brighton
Church (4), Dunk

Brighton 2-0 Cardiff
Church, Simpson

Birmingham 1-4 Brighton
Vicente, Hoskins (2), Lowe

Brighton 2-0 Nottingham Forest
LuaLua, Cairney

Capital One Cup

(4th Round) Brighton 2-4 Tottenham
Hoskins, Modise

League Table

View attachment 274449

Flying high at the top of the table!

Good in the league but with that draw the cup was never meant to be.